KDX220 or KX250....or KX250f?

Got questions? We got answers....
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

KarlP - ya, the best feature on the 220 was the suspension work done by Factory Connections. Revalved and had the rebound adjustment added. It was sprung for a 150 pounder though so I'd need heavier springs. No biggie. What bother's me was the power delivery. It was nothing like even my KLX331. May have been as simple as old gas, jetting or KIPS, I guess. After riding the 200 I see the bike is much more capable than I was led to believe having ridden only the 220.

Good thing I rode the 200, I was starting to look for an XR400. Riding the 200 brought me back on track.
Last edited by johnyblaze on 06:37 pm Nov 13 2009, edited 1 time in total.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Keep in mind the 220 is MUCH more bike than the 200

20 cc more and then some.

After Kawi got the 200 close to right they took the next logical step.

Ask anybody!
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Keep in mind the 220 is MUCH more bike than the 200

20 cc more and then some.

After Kawi got the 200 close to right they took the next logical step.

Ask anybody!
LMAO. I hope that's sarcasm. The 220 is a dog in comparison if you're looking for any sort of top end at all.

Sorry..... :butthead:
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

First they made the men's 200 model... then the womens 220 model with smaller carb, maintenance free chain and tamed it down.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Oh, Inda, they got to you....Don't let that NOW newsletter article fake you out; they just want to take away the brute power of the KDX220 from their male adversaries knowing that men would find greater pleasure in the act of mounting such well-designed, responsive mechanical beasts.

The truth is, Kawasaki hired several TOP AMERICAN ISDE riders to test and develop a stronger more-enduro capable version of the KDX. These bikes were rung out in the worst conditions possible in blizzard-torn mountainous terrain during the pounding of several hurricane-borne storms. The smaller carb was found to allow more positive control of the brutish wide-bore model under the most demanding and challenging temperatures and terrain. Of course, an O-ring chain is mandatory for off-road (outside the parking area) riding.

For those who demand engine power at higher rpms, an FMF rev pipe instantly provides that option...but beware...loop out's are common-place. As I understand it, Kawasaki refused to change the pipe design from the 200 model due to liability issues and the possibility of the bike being banned from sales by the comsumer protection division of the United States government.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The truth is, Kawasaki hired several TOP AMERICAN ISDE riders to test and develop a stronger more-enduro capable version of the KDX. These bikes were rung out in the worst conditions possible in blizzard-torn mountainous terrain during the pounding of several hurricane-borne storms. The smaller carb was found to allow more positive control of the brutish wide-bore model under the most demanding and challenging temperatures and terrain. Of course, an O-ring chain is mandatory for off-road (outside the parking area) riding.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

You guys can duke it out all you want. I'm riding a few more to get a feel for what the difference really is. Bottom line is - I could've looped the 200 easy enough. I won't need anymore bottom end. If the 200 really has better topend - then it may be more what I'm looking for.

I'm riding a couple more on Sunday - a 94 200 with the USDs/dualsported and an almost never ridden stock 220. Then I'll appraise which one I'd like to live with. The 94 is really interesting cause I want a lightkit anyway to conect trails and home legally. I hate loading and unloading and the trails are all around me - so no long rides.

OTOH, if I find the 220 can be much more than the one I rode - I may go back for it. Had a lot of goodies.

Can't wait for Sunday. The world is my oyster...
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

That's just the fact of it. The 200 has quite a bit more over rev than the 220. Much snappier on the top end. Of course you can mod either bike to perform more on top or bottom as you like, so condition is most important. The main reasons that the 220 has so much less on top is the smaller carb, larger bore size, and less aggressive porting. There's no getting around the physics of the thing any way you look at it. For tight twisting single track where low end torque and throttle control is key, the 220 is going to be hard to beat. If you like the feel of that snap on the top end, the 200 is going to be the one to make you grin. Either bike will make a great woods weapon though.

Nuff said? I wish you the best luck in your searches. It's a great time to be shopping for a bike if you can afford to. Likewise, it's a terrible time to be trying to sell one. Buyers market and all that....

J.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ever ride a 200 w/ the 33mm carb on it? I like the power delivery of the 220, but something isn't quite right about it compared to the 200. They screwed up the porting. A 200 bored to a 220, and someone besides the Kawi engineer who did the 220 to port it would be the ticket.

200's are legal in 200cc racing, lets not forget WHY there is a 200. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project