KDX220 or KX250....or KX250f?

Got questions? We got answers....
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

KDX220 or KX250....or KX250f?

Post by johnyblaze »

I really want to supplement my stable with a nice, flickable trail bike. I just sold a KLX300 (331) and really miss it.

I'm pretty darn sure the KDX is the bike for me owing to it's lightish weight, and reliability. But then in the back of my head, I hear these voices say... maybe you wnat something a bit more powerful and with a better suspension. Thus thoughts of a KX250 or f.

In reality, I'm a 52 year old, don't race and mostly piddle around in the woods. I wrench - but would rather be riding and I'm pretty sure the KDX is the better choice in that regard. Heavier springs (I'm 200 lbs) and I think the suspension is good to go. Something tells me the other two bikes are more of a maintenance chore than I like.

Thoughts?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A KDX is the perfect woods bike. Why would you think you need more power than what it has to offer?

If you want a reliable woods bike ... a KDX is it!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Yep. Had a modded 03 YZ250F, an 04 CRF250X, a trail-converted 01 KX250. I was searching for the best trail bike....I finally went back to my roots...a KDX - since I was an aggressive rider, I did the USD fork mods - best trail bike now - ever.

PS: converted motocrossers have tight spaced gear spacings that really limit them for the intricacies of all-around trail riding.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I just sold a KLX300 (331) and really miss it
That in conjuction with what everyone else said will make it a no brainer for the KDX. The stock KDX will wax the 331 in the power dept, and pull off-idle like nearly no other 2-cycle.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Thanks guys - that's what I wanted to hear. Other guys have tried it other ways and come back.

Thing is - I've never ridden one. Riding 2 tomorrow. One is a 200 (stock all the way around) at $1200 and a 220 with a lot of goodies (bar, gnarly, hi/low headlight, Factory connection suspension, caliper guard, skidplate) for $1350. Both look to be in really good shape.

In the end - it'll probably come down to condition and feel. I've read that the 200/220 is an easy fit for larger riders. I'm 6-1 and 195 so I think it'll work ergonomically as well or better than other woods bikes.

Thanks for the comparison with the KLX331 - I loved that bike all the way around and added KX250 forks. I still have a set of 98 KX250 forks in the garage - bought them cheap but couldn't make them work on the KLX. I'll bet I could make them work on the KDX with other front end components. Guess I'll try the FC suspension and see if I need it for my riding style (slow, but gnarly) on New England trails.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Make sure you ask if they have swapped out the piston for a Wiseco... if not, expect to do a topend on any 220.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Update - I was able to ride the 220 yesterday. It had a gnarly pipe but NO TOPEND at all. I'm guessing it had the gnarly-woods version. Guy siad he didn't rejet when the pipe went on. Huh, wouldn't you need to rejet from stock? Also, still had the stock piston. Any way, not my cup of tea.

I was unable to ride the 200 as the owner was out of town hunting. I plan on seeing that one in a couple days. 2003 200 stock low miles at $1200. I still have hopes the the KDX is for me.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... should have been rejetted but I would question the KIPS working properly on that one. When I first got my KDX it had no topend. I pulled the shaft cover and the thing had never moved.... still had a factory dap of grease on the gear.

Pulled the topend all apart... cleaned, adjusted and massaged the KIPS and has worked perfect every since.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Dale

Post by Dale »

I'll add my two cents. I have a 98 220 with all the mods and KX USD forks. Love it. Blasts through the woods. I can wind it through the toughest single track and never stall it out. I run 12/47 and sometimes 13/47. I also bought a 09 KX250F. Changed the back sprocket to a 49 and have a real hard time in tight single track with stalling it out. Here's the problem. If my wife finds out my 5k investment left me worse off than just using the two KDX's I have.....I might be living in the garage! If I had it to do all over again I would have just kept looking for the newest KDX at the best price and forget about the 250f. By the way, I'm 47, 225lbs and use to race harescrambles. GET A KDX and do all the mods. The advice on changing the stock piston is real! One of mine was stock and blew parts through the cases. Do the top end no matter what!!! Good luck and keep us informed.
DirtBikeDad
Supporting Member

Post by DirtBikeDad »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote:Update - I was able to ride the 220 yesterday. It had a gnarly pipe but NO TOPEND at all. I'm guessing it had the gnarly-woods version. Guy siad he didn't rejet when the pipe went on. Huh, wouldn't you need to rejet from stock? Also, still had the stock piston. Any way, not my cup of tea.

I was unable to ride the 200 as the owner was out of town hunting. I plan on seeing that one in a couple days. 2003 200 stock low miles at $1200. I still have hopes the the KDX is for me.
Ditto what everybody else said. Riding a fairly stock 03 220 this afternoon on a 2 mile tight woods course with some nice tables and doubles thrown in here and there just for fun. Had no trouble keeping up with the boys on their KTM's (200SX, 250 SX-F & 125SX) and Yamaha WR 250F.

BTW, Wherebouts do you live? Errrrrrrr, Just in case the 200 doesn't work out for you. :mrgreen:
DirtBikeDad
Jeremiah 29:11-13
"That's not flying, it's falling............with Style"
'99 Honda CR250R (Keith)
'99 Honda CR250R (Wilson 15)
'00 Yamaha YFM350 Warrior (Travis 13)
'90 Kawasaki 220 Bayou (Farm Toy)
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You'll probably like the 200 better. All else the same the 200 has better top end, and still pulls like a tractor down low.
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Another KDX has come available nearby. A 94 with the USD's and a dualsport kit. I don't know the differences between the previous model and the newer model. Anybody care to enlighten me? Suspension, engine, power, reliability?

Thanks
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Same motor as a 89... Great motor!
Suspension is nothing to write home about.
Power is great.
Reliability.... it's a KDX!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Engine is awesome, arguabely better than the newer models. Ergonomics are more 'outdated,' but if the bike fits who cares. The USD's are hardly an improvement on the regular forks, FYI. I'd ride an e-model with a KX fork conversion and be very happy. Edit:Oops, inda and I posted at same time.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I love my 89!
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Yet another update

Post by johnyblaze »

Rode the 2003 KDX200 today. All I can say is - there was something wrong with the 220 I rode the other day. The 200 was way snappier. Definitely snappier than my KLX331. Better bottom and topend than the 220.

Unfortunately, it has some flaws. Kickstand is gone, light doesn't work, rear brake is dragging and it doesn't shift very well. Definitely has a good hit though.

Now I know why you guys like these bikes so well. I won't buy that one, but I do like the bike. Now I can look for a 200 in better condition.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Sweet! Shame about the 03, that woulda been a nice find. The clutch on these bikes is a bit um, lacking. Sometimes the shifting gets bad using certain oils, so that's something to keep in mind when test riding. Of course, don't let the kips rattle throw you off either. Some KDX's sound like diesel engines at idle, and it's perfectly normal. Just make sure the noise goes away when you rev it a little so you know the piston isn't slappin around in there. Check wheel bearings and stuff of course.

I'm prolly tellin you stuff you already know, but I reckon that's alright. I'm interested to hear about the 94 if you go test it out. I put yz250 forks on my 89. I'm not going to need another bike for a long time (it's damn near perfect!), and my next bike will be my 89 engine in a late model kx125 roller.

J.
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: Yet another update

Post by Green Hornet »

>|<>QBB<
johnyblaze wrote: Unfortunately, it has some flaws. Kickstand is gone(No Biggie), light doesn't work (if not the bulb then probably a switch or wire), rear brake is dragging(No Biggie-Clean & replace pads) and it doesn't shift very well(change oil or adjust the clutch). Definitely has a good hit though.
How much is he asking???
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
johnyblaze
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by johnyblaze »

Hornet - his add says $1500. I asked via email and he said $1200. I'm sure I could have it for $1000 or maybe a tad less. I'd really like to see it in the light of day. I went to see it after work - 5:30. It had already been dark for well over an hour.

I sure do like the quick hit. May come back to that one. I'm not above a little project bike. But, for now there are other bikes to look at.
1998 KDX220 with goodies
2002 KTM LC4E
2001 Suzuki Bandit 1200S
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

You might consider giving that 220 a second look. The fact that it is not running right is certainly easily fixed. It sounded pretty well equiped.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy