Should I, or shouldn't I? (I did)

Got questions? We got answers....
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Should I, or shouldn't I? (I did)

Post by zomby woof »

I have become quite smitten with this KDX. My 2 bikes before the KDX were a 07 RM125, and a 07 KLX 250s. I liked the speed, and lightness of the RM, the smooth, and fun of the KLX, and spent most of the season on the KLX.
The KDX is both. What an awesome bike!
Since I plan to run hare scrambles, and only the all natural motocross tracks (old school mx) on my club's schedule, I may park my MX bike, and use the KDX instead.
So here is the question. I bought the 2000, 220 because it was street plated, something you can no longer do here. The bike is good, but well used. I want something nicer, and newer, and have found a 05, 220 with pipe, reeds, and Wiseco piston already for only a little more that what I paid for the 00 bike. It is not plate-able, but with very little work, would be the all purpose offroad bike I really want.

Since the 00 bike wasn't very good on the road, I was thinking of buying the 05 bike, and selling the 00. The plate would be nice to have, but I can keep the KLX for street riding.

Thoughts? I think I already know the answer, but typing it out has been therapeutic.

:grin:
Last edited by zomby woof on 07:00 pm Dec 21 2009, edited 1 time in total.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sounds like you have it all figured out.

There isn't anything different between the '00 and the '05. You could make the '00 everything the '05 is AND keep the plate.

'Nicer and newer'?

That's a preference and worth that only you can put a value on.

If I had a street plated KDX..I'd keep it. Period. Doesn't matter that it's not the bike my 700SC is on the road..it's that the ability to use it on the road at all would be invaluable. ...to me.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:29 pm Nov 06 2009, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Buy the other one... swap all the goodies over but keep the frame... sell the 05. :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Why not just freshen up the one you have? You can get darn near anything you could ever want or need for it. Build it the way you want with all the right touches. Suspension, engine mods, electronics, etc. My motto is "Don't replace. Rebuild!"

>|QBB<[/url]
canyncarvr wrote:If I had a street plated KDX..I'd keep it. Period. Doesn't matter that it's not the bike my 700SC is on the road..it's that the ability to use it on the road at all would be invaluable. ...to me.
Yep, I will not part with mine! I use it to go to work (about 1 mile), quick runs to the Circle C, and, considering I have several awesome riding areas within 10 miles, to get to riding areas without having to haul the bike.

BTW, pic of my beat up, street legal '90 KDX200. She may be old but she still runs great and is one of my favorite all time bikes.

Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Kurt Franz

Post by Kurt Franz »

I have a street legal 2004 and like it to ride around town on when I want a change of pace. Getting harder and harder to do this these days - I would keep the plated KDX.
1987 BMW K75
1973 Yamaha CT3
2004 Kawasaki KDX200
1981 Yamaha PW50
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Thanks.
I bought the 05, and at this point, I'm keeping both. I'll probably use the 05 as my main bike, and keep the 00 just in case I decide that I need a 2 stroke street bike. With the KLX250s (which I really like riding), I'm not sure I'll need it. The other thing too, is that the KLX, and KDX look almost the same, even on paper, if you know what I mean :twisted:

Nonetheless, it's hard to have too many bikes :razz:
Green Hornet
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Green Hornet »

My 2005 KDX220 is Plated in NEW YORK. But, I would not want to ride it for too long or too fast on Macadam.
"Growing Old is Mandatory, Growing Up is Optional"
2008 KLX450R
2008 DRZ400SM
2005 KDX 220R
1985 KDX 200A3
2005 KLX 125L (SONS)
2003 KTM 50SX Pro Jr
B Senior # 254/0092

http://sponsorhouse.loopd.com/Members/R ... fault.aspx
Thanks to my 2008 Sponsers:
Dunlop, SteelMX, Amsoil, Simpson, Pro Works Racing, Pro Moto Billet, SLAP Energy,Boyesen, Rhino Stands, SixSixOne/SunLine Moto for your support.
John W Read Jr
BobbyZ
Supporting Member

Post by BobbyZ »

if you decide to sell the plated bike can I get in line :mrgreen: I would love to be able to trail ride legaly here in Dirty Jersey
gregp

Post by gregp »

I also have a street legal '04 KDX, here in Massachusetts. I bought the bike specifically because it had a VA street title and already had a (somewhat hacked up) Baja Designs DS kit already installed on it. It sounded like a bargain at $1200, but when my brother delivered it to me, it was in rougher shape than expected. Still, the title and DS kit made it a keeper.
I have a DRZ400S but the bike is so tall and heavy that it is very cumbersome in the tight woods conditions that I normally ride in. I plan to sell the DRZ as soon as I have the KDX ready (another week or so). The DRZ is a better road bike, by far, but when I am on it, I am looking for off road enjoyment. I have a 1996 Triumph Adventurer for a street bike, and I often carry my wife on the back. We sometimes would ride double on the DRZ off to remote fishing spots, and the KDX probably will not be as good for that duty either. All of her clothes are going to smell like Castor 927! :mrgreen:
2004 Dual Sported KDX200
1999 Ninja 250 (Daughter's)
1996 DR 650 (stock, mostly street use)
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

Christmas came early.
Time to get to work!

Ontario, Canada