KLX 250 S Q/A?

Got questions? We got answers....
jgas

KLX 250 S Q/A?

Post by jgas »

Have a question about the newer KLX 250 S. If I'm out of line, or if in the wrong area for this question, let me know. I have found a little info on KLR 650 .net but those guys have a mostly street focus. I want a bike I can ride to an area legally but then ride gnarly Singletrack, and pretty fast on. I love little 250 4 strokes, even though I'm a big guy. I know the 250 S is heavy, but that I can handle. My main question is reliability and maintenance. I rode one in a parking lot, and found it to be revvy and fairly torquey, felt like it need to be seriously uncorked. Felt like it might have decent power with some good jetting and a pipe/muffler combo.

Anyway, are they screw adjust valves, or shim/bucket? Anyone know valve adjust intervals? General reliability? I can look up factory specs and what the manual says, but I need real advice. If I adjusted the valves on my KTM like the manual said, I'd work on it more than ride it, but once a year seems to do the job, so I wonder if this little Kawi will actually go awhille without lots of maintenance?

Again, I know this is the wrong site, but I'm having a tough time finding any real info on this bike. Even Thumpertalk overlooks it.

Thanks, Jeff.
tbirdsp

Post by tbirdsp »

OK, you have got to be the same jgas from ADVrider, right? Mike from Nebraska (aka "tbirdsp") here, used to have the Husky TE250 but I traded it to Terry for "his wife's" '07 KLX250S. I'm over here because I picked up a '98 KDX200 earlier this year.
Missed you at FCT, wet conditions made for some interesting riding for the noobs. :twisted: Rode with Devro some while I was there.
Valves are shim/bucket. I have 2000 miles on the bike and I actually haven't checked them yet (will do this winter). Terry had put the Bill Blue Mikuni TM33 (bored to 34) pumper carb, and FMF Q4, and a KDX airbox snorkel on before I got the bike. I didn't ride it stock, but it has good power with this setup. The hot ticket is Bill Blue's 351 big bore kit though.
There's a couple of big threads on the KLX over at ADVrider
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=107591
http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=403371
You definitely should gear it down too. The tranny is a super wide ratio 6 speed. Stock is 14/42, I'm currently running 13/45.
Mike S.
'98 KDX200
'07 KLX250S
'06 KLR650
'93 ST1100
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I have an 07,bought in 08. It now has 10,000 km on it, and I have done nothing more than change the oil, and tires. It runs great. MX was my thing, and I bought the KLX to do some trail riding, back roads stuff, and run errands with. I would say it is competent enough that it got me hooked on single track and I went out and bought a KDX220. It is comfy, heavy, and reliable, but does handle well, get good MPG, and go pretty good once it's piped, jetted, and geared, but it's not a race bike. I actually went back to stock on my gearing once it was piped and jetted. If you have any specific questions, just ask.
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

jgas wrote:Again, I know this is the wrong site, but I'm having a tough time finding any real info on this bike.
How about HERE?

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!