What's the real story????

Got questions? We got answers....
Captn Kirk

What's the real story????

Post by Captn Kirk »

I am turning wrenches on a friend of mine's 2005 KDX220 and I have opined that we can "open up" the green monster and get him a wider power band and more power. It is a brand new unit I found for him for $3000.00 so it does not need a rebuild. I am focusing on the reeds, the pipe and the silencer. I have already installed a JD Jetting Kit and resolved hard starting - I am not however, married to staying with the JD kit as I progress through enhancements.

The riding type is technical single track and this is the first motorcycle he has owned - I talked him out of riding 4-wheelers for safety concerns since we do mainly serious hill climbing. This bike will not need to be set up for racing.
he weighs 175 pounds.

With that backdrop, my question is can someone give me a good tried and true set of alteration suggestions for tweaks that are conservative and provide for good radeability with no poor side effects?

I have read and been told pipes make a difference and they make no difference. Same thing with the silencer. I think it is generally agreed that upgrades on reeds make sense. I have been told to can the carburetor and get one off of a KDX200 (larger CFM) before I do anything, then go to a new silencer. The owner has little patience for tweaking trial and error unlike me, so when I spend his money, I really need to hit the mark more for the convenience factor than the spend factor.

Since he wasn't used to a clutch, I installed a RevLoc and he may be moving away from that now that he can ride the bike without drama. Obviously, for the expense of the RevLoc he is not afraid to have me spend his money, he just doesn't want to be inconvenienced with the tweaking "process" so if we can move to tried and known improvements, that is what I am looking for advice to do.

The result I'd like to obtain is more power down low, a wider power band, and more overall torque/hp over the powerband spectrum. Sounds like an unrealistic target, but some say the KDX220 has all of that corked up inside of it. What say you???
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Everything you seek is here
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, you can get loads more power from that bike. A FMF Rev pipe would be a good start. Silencer is nice for bling, but won't help you go faster so spend that money on something else. boyesen power reeds to replace the stockers, or a v-force reed cage. If you really want to do something with the carb, just send the stock 220 carb to RB along with the head and have them modded out. Specify what sort of gas you'll be running and where you want to focus the power gains.

Want my real 2 cents worth though? Don't bother with power mods yet. If he's never ridden a bike before this one, it is unlikely that that fresh 220 is lacking anything in the power department. Focus on the suspension first, since it's easier to go faster with better suspension. Make sure the suspension is absolutely tits and then decide where/if it needs to be any more powerful.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I say it does need a rebuild... pitch that genade of a stock piston immediately.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Focus on the suspension first, since it's easier to go faster with better suspension. Make sure the suspension is absolutely tits and then decide where/if it needs to be any more powerful.
That right there.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:I say it does need a rebuild... pitch that genade of a stock piston immediately.
Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that bit. Inda's advice is very good. Replace the stock grenade for a Wiseco piston ASAP. An unexpected complete rebuild is never fun...
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd go with a piston replacement and RBD head for a 220. When the jetting is spot on the motor will be really happy.

Suspension, suspension, suspension. I realize your customer does not want to tweak but you're going to have to get it dialed in. There is a lot to be gained in rider enjoyment by going through the linkage bearings, revalve the shock, oil change and springs up front, carefull sag and fork height adjustments. I'm not just saying that because I read it on the internet. I started with motor first and chassis second and ended up having to put the chassis first and realizing the motor never was an issue.
The result I'd like to obtain is more power down low, a wider power band, and more overall torque/hp over the powerband spectrum. Sounds like an unrealistic target, but some say the KDX220 has all of that corked up inside of it. What say you???
IMO the 220 is already there with just a few very inexpensive changes.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It is a brand new unit I found for him for $3000.00 so it does not need a rebuild.
Yes. It does.

..and doing anything before that is a waste of time, effort and money.
Inda wrote:I say it does need a rebuild... pitch that genade of a stock piston immediately.
That is the correct point of view.

And...
juliend wrote:Oh yeah! I forgot to mention that bit. Inda's advice is very good. Replace the stock grenade for a Wiseco piston ASAP
That's good, too.

You might think you're getting jumped on 'bout a whole lot of nuthin'.

Now...that would be an INcorrect point of view.

They're all doing you a big favor.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

In this order:

Wiseco piston, proper lubrication of all suspension bearings, suspension setup/improvements (sounds like he might be OK if he's 175lbs but at least do some site searches on "preload" and get that right), pipe/reeds . . .

if he wants even more power (and probably will eventually) get the Ron Black suite of KDX improvements, he will NOT be disappointed . . .

then maybe start looking at a fork swap.
Last edited by Jeb on 09:47 pm Oct 31 2009, edited 1 time in total.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
Captn Kirk

Post by Captn Kirk »

I think I have a good idea now of my approach. I've heard twice now about the suspension bearings and lubricatioon. Can someone elaborate so I can better understand?

Thanks.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Captn Kirk wrote:I think I have a good idea now of my approach. I've heard twice now about the suspension bearings and lubricatioon. Can someone elaborate so I can better understand?

Thanks.
You need a new piston

How many times you need to hear that? :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Mobilized1

Post by Mobilized1 »

You must put a new wiseco piston in that bike if you want to do any other work to the bike it all starts and ends at the piston when talking about the 220. The people on this forum know what they are talking about on this piston business and you would be wise to listen. I just had to deal with this same problem and got my piston out just in the nick of time. If your going to do anything good to your friends bike start with a piston, you, your friend and his bike will fair all the better for it. :wink:
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

I just Greased all the linkages and replaced the fork oil, (and ordered fork springs to replace the 130lb rider stock springs) I did all this while not riding it and waiting on my Wiseco Piston to arrive (which I just installed today) The grease was lacking and it needed it! The fork oil was OK but it looked a little thinner that its 5wt replacement. The shock isn't leaking so I didn't do anything to it other than adjust the sag.

(while I had the head and carb off for the top end I sent it to RB who said he as a2-3 day turn around time) so maybe I'll get it back the end of next week!)

1 week down isnt' bad for something that is supposed to be killer reliable and great power when its done!

:lol: :lol:
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Captn Kirk wrote:
I think I have a good idea now of my approach. I've heard twice now about the suspension bearings and lubricatioon. Can someone elaborate so I can better understand?

Thanks.
That set of linkages between the bottom of the shock and the frame/swingarm is probably in need of servicing. Sevicing involves dissasembly and re-grease and possibly bearing replacement. The bearing at the bottom of the shock is kind of skimpy and doesn't last long.

More than once I have been unhappy with my suspension performance and spent a month playing with clickers. I've finally given up and sent the shock off to a buddy for an oil change/valving change. While it was gone I thought I would look at the linkage bearings...... :blink:

Did anyone mention that it might be wise to replace the OEM piston? Something about a cracking issue.......
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Captn Kirk

Post by Captn Kirk »

I'm pretty clear that the piston needs pitching. Along with that I've talked to the owner and he has agreed top do the RB mods to the head, carb and slide.

I ned to find a suspension guy locally who can do the front and rear. Anyone know what I should expect to pay for revalving and respringing? When I did my '04 525EXC it ran about $700 for new springs front/rear, seals and valving. Is that what I should expect for this one as well? Is there a vendor you all know about that knows the KDX well enough to know what to do?
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I used a fella on this board. Jason, maybe?
It was a while ago.

The front end is a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

We've come a long way from just opening it up a bit, eh?

Most of these changes and improvements are done incrementally.

Maybe carefully maintained and set up OEM suspension will work for him for now?
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy