Alternate Premix

Got questions? We got answers....
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Alternate Premix

Post by 80elkster »

Well I'm running out of the Mobil 1 premix that I bought up when they quit making it and the big store that sold Amsoil Interceptor went out of business so I'm looking for some other premix that won't gum up the power valve (KIPS) that is readily available. You guys have any long term experience with other premix oils in your KDX?
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I used to use Maxxima synthetic, not sure of the exact name. It seemed to do a lot better than the Bel ray that I used for a short time. I like the Amzoil Intercepter better though.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Motul 800 is good.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Jerry liked the smell of my Redline a couple weeks ago, he thought it smelled like bean oil

I'm gonna give Lucas a shot next. I can get it for about 6 bux a quart

Last time I bought Maxima it was about 8 bux for a pint
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Smell leads to taste.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'I used to use Maxxima synthetic, not sure of the exact name..'

K2

The 'big store' that used to sell Interceptor 'round here went under, too. G.I. Joes..then changed the name to just 'Joes'. There was an Amsoil seller that opened a place right across the street from the shop..he quit after a few weeks.

On-line prices doubled when oil prices went up. When oil prices came down..Amsoil prices didn't. Well (just checked)...down $3.60 from the $40 it went to. It was $20. Talking about gallon pricing.

Anyway...I don't have any answer to your question, but if/when you find something you like I'd appreciate hearing about it.

Good Luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I think any of the big name stuff is more than good enough, but when I asked this question a few years ago, I got an interesting answer from one of my riding buddies.
He told me that when he rode 2 strokes, he never used anything other than Castrol super 2 stroke, and never had a problem. That oil is about half the price of the big name stuff, and that guy is our local #1 pro rider, so he's not easy on equipment.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Not easy on it, rebuilds often and does not have a KIPS system like the KDX.... Did I miss anything?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Not easy on it, rebuilds often and does not have a KIPS system like the KDX.... Did I miss anything?
Just what I was thinking

Prolly rebuilds often

He could prolly get buy using Quaker State
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This wasn't started as a 'what oil is best' thread..and that's not the point of this post.

BUT...Castrol 'Super 2 Stroke' is a TCW3 spec'd oil.

If that's what you want to run, fine. Just know what it is.

What's wrong with Quaker State? I ran QS 30W motor oil in my first 2T Yammy twin (R5). Had about 60,000 miles on it (one rebuild a few thousand before that) when some butt stole it. I got up to 1000 miles (injected) out of quart!!

No power valve though...... :wink:

OK...that was just a typical 'best oil' comment............ :grin:

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I thought only old guys used Quaker State
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I wasn't recommending any oil. I just joined this forum, and the last thing I want to do is start a fight.
Only pointing out that even cheap stuff would probably work fine.
My buddy did a piston/ring once a year, and I looked, it's not TCW3.
We used Valvoline 2 stroke oil in my sons KDX, and never had any problems over several years. Now that's some cheap premix :partyman:
Use whatever you're comfortable with.
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

I guess I'm old school in that I still use the standard Golden Spectro.

Curious, what are the problems people are seeing with certain brands/grades of 2t where it concerns the KIPS valve?
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

GUM... to the point it quits working.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Tedh98
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Tedh98 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:This wasn't started as a 'what oil is best' thread..and that's not the point of this post.

BUT...Castrol 'Super 2 Stroke' is a TCW3 spec'd oil.

If that's what you want to run, fine. Just know what it is.

canyncarvr - What are the ramifications of using a TCW3 oil?

Thanks
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

We'll find out soon enuf with the Lucas
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

TC-W3 is a high ash content oil, used generally in non-powervalved marine engines. In an engine with power valves, the high ash content could cause excessive buildup around the valves. Not good...

The Lucas oil is tc-w3, but it's a low ash content oil. Dunno how that fits in or why they're callin in tc-w3.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The harder you ride the less important a clean oil is. If I was running all day long in the desert at 50+ I'd run pure castor. The last thing I'd run in the woods. The modern synthetics, especially ones tailored for lower RPM riding w/ powervalves, are all-around great.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I understand a TCW3 oil NOT to have a high ash detergent....2T oils in general don't use high ash detergents. I'd appreciate documentation to the contrary.

The TCW3 specification comes from the National Marine Manufacturers Association ..NMMA. The NMMA TCW3 standard was designed by the various manufacturers of outboard motors (Mercury, OMC, Yamaha etc.). These manufacturers do not utilize power valves, limit their max rpms to about 6800, and have excessive cooling capacity.

It's not that an oil 'built' to TCW3 specs is bad. It's simply TCW3. It was DESIGNED for something completely different from our application.

Again..it's not BAD...it is what it is. There are reasons why Bombardier specifically prohibits the use of TCW oils in their Rotax engines....go back to the above; power valves, low rpm, LOTS of cooling capacity part of the TCW# spec.

I'd like to say I have all this stuff filed away in my head someplace..but I don't. I recall the basics, but refer to an article I've read through quite a few times in the past to get the pacifics. The following article is where 90% of the above information comes from:

CLICKY THIS!

It's like reading through an old Jenks article..chock FULL of great stuff.

Hhhmmm...Jenks. Is that right? Fuzzy would know. Maybe it's Jenkins.

Anyway.....pour yourself a cupp'a..and read through that article. Yep...it is written around PWCs. That makes nothing said in it any less a fact.

A true fact even!

Tedh98: Does this answer your questions?

An anecdotal input: When I changed injector oil on my last RD to a TCW3 spec oil FROM the same brand oil that was NOT TCW3..it got a new lease on life. An RD is an air-cooled, non-PV'd engine. The power increase was incredible. My mpg went up over 10%. I could ride down the highway @ 70mph, packed for a week, with the throttle around 1/4...and the engine would be 4T-skippy happy. I could ride with bikes 2-3X my size..and they couldn't keep up! Well...as long as it was curvy. I'm not saying I could keep ahead of a 100hp bike if the road was straight!
Last edited by canyncarvr on 12:58 pm Oct 29 2009, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

TLDNR
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))