Kdx 220 Stall

Got questions? We got answers....
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thanks.

I will remove plug again and report on it's condition.

Should that steel sheath be attached/connected onto the bent tube (on top of cap)?

Byte
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

There are multiple circuits in a bike carb..and they all overlap to some extent. What a plug looks like that's been running in all of those circuits (throttle ranges) doesn't tell you anything about any circuit in particular.

Re: 'Twist the throttle...'

Fine...if your bike is jetted worth a hoot. Even if it IS, a 2T isn't going to respond well from a lugging 1st gear uphill to a WOT twist. A 2T requires throttle control. You need to know enough about your bike to know what works when. A quick wick of the throttle on a decently tuned bike..on an uphill you're struggling with may well end up with you tumbling arse over teakettle down that hill..while your bike is hanging itself in a tree.

If I understand what you're after...

The 'steel sheath' is the end of the throttle cable housing on the carb end. There is a clip (92036 on the parts fiche..carb 1 of 2) on that end of the cable. The carb cable does not separate from the curved tube unless that clip is missing. The point is to NOT allow the end of the cable to come out of the carb tube and hang up on the tube's edge. That leads to a 'stuck throttle' situation. Where's your clip? And, please, don't ask 'What clip?' if you haven't looked at the parts breakdown.

Everything being assembled correctly, with your bars turned to lock on either side you should feel a 'bit' of freeplay in the throttle housing (the part yoou twist). The point of that is to ensure the carb slide can travel all the way to its bottom (against the idle screw) without cable interference. 'More' freeplay is not better. Too much of it and you will not be opening the slide to its full extent when you think you're at WOT.

Capiche?

Oh...re: 'The copper bent tube on top of the cap easily turns around and I do not know if this should be happening.'

Yes...and you had better hope it does.

Nothing to do with carbs.........but...

When I was a kid I noticed the tang on the end of my dad's tape measure was loose....it slid back and forth! To rectify the obviously soon-to-fail rule, I peened the loose rivets tight. Neat! I done good!!

What did my dad have to say about my fixit job?

'Now you can buy me a new tape.'

Completely btw...but do you know why he was correct?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thansk CanCrvr.

Dad was correct because ................ ?

Byte
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:too rich - blubbering/drowning out
too lean - buhhwahhhhhh type of bog

Plug look black and wet when you pull it out? Or dry and white? Somewhere in between?

Sure SEEMS like fuel delivery.
Just pulled the carbi and plug again.

Plug looks black and a bit wet at the top.

Here are my jets/needle:
PJ 42
MJ 142
Needle R1178L 2AFL clip #3 from top.

I cannot tell if that "8" is a "3" or not????

Carbi looks clean.

Your thoughts on thsi jetting/needle mix?

Byte
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've run 38/140 quite happily on a 220.
Not that you should, neccesarily, but 42/142 sounds a little rich. It ought to run O.K., though. Float level too high?

I'd get some jets.

That clip does need to be there on the curved tube coming out of the throttle cap. I've used a bit of thin stainless wire in a pinch.

Be cautious pulling all that apart. I've snapped the curved tube off the top of the throttle cap. That'll be $30, please
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Byte

Post by Byte »

Thansk Karl.

What jets should I be getting?

I've had a look at the fiche and observe the clip but still cannot figure out what I clip onto...?? The steel sheath only buts up to the mouth of the bent tube and does not encase it so the clip cannot be used to wrap/tighten anything...

BTW 42 PJ and 142 MJ and my needle is all stock - is this setup still rich?

Well, I soaked the carbi in petrol and replaced the old 42 PJ with a new 42 PJ.

The old 42PJ looked like it was there for a very long time.

I saw black hard specs in the bottom of the fuel clean bucket (that I used to flush the carbi) - god knows what they were...?

I also got rid of that long gap between the steel sheath and bent copper tube with the throttle cable.

I also flushed the tank and refilled with 9L of 40:1 mix.

Put it all back together and WHAMO! Start first time with a real GROWL!

It is late at night so I did not want to make too much noise.

However, it growled so much I suspect I have a stuck throttle now.

I do not know where to rout the throttle cable. atm it is resting in between the front of tank and frame and I suspect it may be getting crimped a little but I can still feel it move in the rubber sheath near the carbi...

Where to rout the throttle cable?

We are making progress boys....

Byte
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've had a look at the fiche and observe the clip but still cannot figure out what I clip onto...?? The steel sheath only butts up to the mouth of the bent tube and does not encase it so the clip cannot be used to wrap/tighten anything...

Are you missing a bit at the end of the bent tube?
The bent tube should be steel and threaded at the end that the throttle cable case ends. On that threaded end should be a brass adjuster and slot for a clip. The end of the cable case should go into that brass end and be held in place with a clip
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Byte

Post by Byte »

i also have issues with the tank mounts onto frame...

Yes - I have check fiche and cannot see any hardware to mount the tank onto the frame as per photos shown.

I see an internal thread each side of fuel tank.

To match these holes, I see mounting holes in the frame that co-incide with these threaded holes in the fuel tank...

What is used to mount this tank to the frame?

Maybe I am missing something - maybe those frame holes are not used to mount the tank? ATM they are not used for anything...

Byte

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Looking at your picture, it looks like the brass thingy is missing. Someone probably snapped it off pulling or reinstalling the carb. It will run into the tank.
I think you have to rotate the carb carefully, pull the cap and slide, and then remove the carb, normally.

We have come a long way from your original problem........and no closer to resolving it, as far as I can tell!
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:
I've had a look at the fiche and observe the clip but still cannot figure out what I clip onto...?? The steel sheath only butts up to the mouth of the bent tube and does not encase it so the clip cannot be used to wrap/tighten anything...

The bent tube should be steel and threaded at the end that the throttle cable case ends. On that threaded end should be a brass adjuster and slot for a clip. The end of the cable case should go into that brass end and be held in place with a clip
Ahhh - that's it - the missing link. I do not have it on my bent tube - it looks like a clean break. "....$60 (AUD) please....... :mrgreen: ..."

Byte
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Looking at your picture, it looks like the brass thingy is missing. Someone probably snapped it off pulling or reinstalling the carb. It will run into the tank.
I think you have to rotate the carb carefully, pull the cap and slide, and then remove the carb, normally.

We have come a long way from your original problem........and no closer to resolving it, as far as I can tell!
what's a brass thingy?

byte
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

More missing parts.
There should be rubber grommets with aluminum sleeves inside them in those large holes in the brackets on the frame in your last picture.
I think you'll notice those large holes line up with the threaded inserts in your tank.
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

what's a brass thingy?

byte

C'mon, Mate. Work with us here. :roll:
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Byte

Post by Byte »

sorry to sound silly but I do not see any brass adjuster - just a bent tube coming out of the cap.

If you refer to a brass thingy as a brass adjuster - I do nto see it on my bike anywhere near the carbi cap.

As I mentioned earlier - i see a clean straight break on the end of this tube.

Byte
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:More missing parts.
There should be rubber grommets with aluminum sleeves inside them in those large holes in the brackets on the frame in your last picture.
I think you'll notice those large holes line up with the threaded inserts in your tank.
Thanks Karl.

more hardware to order.....

Byte
Last edited by Byte on 07:58 am Oct 26 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Byte

Post by Byte »

I do not know where to rout the throttle cable. atm it is resting in between the front of tank and frame and I suspect it may be getting crimped a little but I can still feel it move in the rubber sheath near the carbi...

Where to rout the throttle cable?

byte
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Maybe I missed the resolution (due to my enjoyment at Karl's involvment with all this), but in regard to the throttle clip, where it goes, what is missing and all....

The carb end of the throttle cable housing has a bit of an angle molded into it..looks like a bit of a funnel. Just a couple mm or so above (past, up...whatever) the END of this piece..right above where the actual cable comes out is a groove that the mentioned clip fits INto when the piece is fit into the adjuster.

Knowing where the clip fits on the cable housing part will allow you to determine where the clip is oriented on the 'mating' end.

The brass piece that fits on the end of the curved tube coming off the carb cap is 'PN 16002-1057 Adjuster-cable'.

Between the tank mount/carb cap 'brass piece' questions, I don't see that you got that part figured out.

BYTE!!??

You did? Or you did not get the carb cap adjuster sorted out? The $60 (AUD) please' comment you made gets you the threaded brass piece, the lock nut, AND the curved tube it fits onto? Don't forget to order the clip, too, if you don't have it.

KarlP wrote:We have come a long way from your original problem........and no closer to resolving it, as far as I can tell!
I've felt your pain. :wink:

Byte: Been over this before...but multiple questions in the same thread gets to be a confused mess pretty quick. One 'brass thingy' turns into another and pretty soon no one knows what's going on.

Question #Eleventy-two: Cable routing?

You do have or you do NOT have a manual? There is a routing diagram in the manual.

The throttle cable does run down the LH side..there is supposed to be a stay/guide (wire loop) it fits through ON the left hand side. It doesn't run down the frame backbone. It DOES run OUTSIDE the petcock...not INside.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Byte

Post by Byte »

Many thanks Canyncvr - again.

Yes, Karl was good and i thank him alot for his input.

The brass thingy comment was made because I did not see any brass fittings on that tube - it had been broken off so I did not know what Karl was referring to - Sorry. The online manual is not clear on this brass adjuster either....

I also do not have that clip.

I'll be ordering the new cap assy along with all tube, fittings, clips, etc....

The carb cap adjuster is sorted for now - until I obtain all the new parts - as per above comment.

Juliend instructs me to have multiple unrelated questions in the same thread. You want me to use separate threads. When I went to separate threads before, Juliend was not happy. So, I am happy either way. Let's arrive at one consensus going forward please.... :cool:

Yes, I do have the electronic online manual.

What would make the throttle stick?

Your thougths on my jetting as well (too rich) or shoudl i try somethign else?

Byte
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Maybe I missed the resolution (due to my enjoyment at Karl's involvment with all this), but in regard to the throttle clip, where it goes, what is missing and all....

Well, I've watched several others go around the block with Byte and thought I'd give it a shot. How hard can it be? All easy questions, answers readily available from multiple sources, how can Byte get everything all twisted up?

Byte-
1. Your shifter is loose because it is loose. After you buy a new one and find IT is loose too, figure out and correct the original problem. Then you'll have a spare shifter.

2. After you buy the brass thingy, you'll probably find that the end of the tube coming out of the carb cap is broken. Go ahead and buy the carb cap now, it has the tube on it.

3. Buy a couple of jets larger AND smaller than the ones you got in your bike. If you don't want to jet the bike per instructions in your manual or other sources, just keep guessing. You'll get it close enough accidentally. (I'd try 40/140 to start)

4. Your throttle is sticking because it is sticking. Is everything present and in proper working order? I wonder.

5. You did not ask about mix ratios? The BEST transmission oil? I got a smart a$$ answer for that, too.

6. ????

Just messing with you, man. You know nothing ever gets fixed over the internet, right? SOMEBODY has to actually pick up a tool and use their own eyes...... :supz:
'08 KTM200xc
KX100 for the boy
Byte

Post by Byte »

THnaks Karl.

I definitely use my tools but also rely on you guys.

Keep up the good work!

Byte