Water Pump Seal w/o pulling whole side cover??

Got questions? We got answers....
chopper515

Water Pump Seal w/o pulling whole side cover??

Post by chopper515 »

My buddy has a 1992 KDX200 and he's getting milky oil and losing coolant. I'm planning on replacing the 2 water pump seals (92049D and 92049C).

http://shop.thumpertalk.com/oem.asp?par ... model=8583

Can I replace these 2 seals by just removing the water pump cover and impeller? I've done my research on this site and I noticed some people are having problems with the impeller shaft getting grooves worn in it and having to replace that also, but I figured I start with just the seals and check the shaft and bearing while i'm in there. We are in pinch and have a riding trip scheduled for this weekend and I might be overnighting parts so any help would be appreciated.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Not to steal this thread but my impeller shaft had groves on it. Replaced the shaft with new seals but what caused that?

I have an 03 and 04 kdx. Dont want to give you bad advice on what you sould do. But atleast on the more recent bike, did not need to pull whole side cover.
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

Steve,

You didn't have to pull the whole side cover and you replaced the shaft/gear (part #13234 on the 03)?? How did you do that? That gear is on inside of the cover?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Yes, you have to pull the side cover to get the impeller out. It's not hard to pull the cover, so don't be scared!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Yes it's not that big of a deal

Just watch for pieces falling out when you take case off

Took mine apart a few weeks ago, and ordered all the parts that I needed. Be sure to order a new bearing. I'd guess that is the cause of it all. The bearing wears out which causes the shaft to wear which heats up and ruins the seal. Or something to that effect.My bike sat torn apart for nearly 2 weeks while I waited for parts

My used oil had been sitting outside in my drain pan the whole time. When I drained it into a jug I found a couple parts that I did not even know fell out. It was the spring and collar that goes on the shifter shaft

Pretty easy job. I pressed the seals in with my fingers

But I messed up and put the shift shaft spring on wrong and Saturday it slipped outa place and I had to ride all day without 1st gear. But that was fine, we only took Skipro on the easy stuff :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

juliend,

I'm not worried about pulling the cover, it's well within my cababilities. It just appears to me that if I'm only replacing the seals I could pull the water pump cover which would expose the impeller. And it looks like I can pull the bolt holding the impeller to the shaft which would expose the seals. Am I wrong. The coolant loss is extremely slow, so I think we are going to ride it this weekend with frequent coolant checks and oil changes.

Mr. Wibbens post is temping me to just order the shaft and bearing right away with the seals, or at least the bearing and hope the shaft isn't grooved. If it is we'd be out another week of riding , but I'd hate to order a $50 part not knowing that I need it. Any other input?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

It's quite likely that your shaft is grooved, and the bearing almost certainly needs replacing if the seals need replacing. You could always try it. I was not able to get the seals out from the front anyway, I had to push them through from the back side with a punch. YMMV.
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

On my '89 there is only one seal (92049D -the big one-) and it can be replaced just by removing the impeller/water pump cover and the impeller.

I think the '89 is the only year with one WP seal so I have no idea if the 92049C seal can also be removed without removing the right side cover on your bike.

For a fast repair you can give it a try but nothing will be better than remove the right side cover to do a great job and replace all the assembly if needed.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
chopper515

Post by chopper515 »

Thanks for the great replies guys. Just what I was looking for. I guess We'll order the bearing and seals and check on the shaft.