New to me KDX220 needs work...Best Sources for parts.

Got questions? We got answers....
raisedinal

New to me KDX220 needs work...Best Sources for parts.

Post by raisedinal »

I have a bone stock 2002 KDX220 that runs great...but now feel I have to sink some money into the piston... AND front fork springs (need 0.40 rate)

I know there are tons of places to get the following parts but if I could get it all at one would be better and I'd rather buy from a location that serves the KDX community and deserves my business. (pardon if my list shows my ignorance in this new-to-me bike)

My shopping list (Prioritized)
Wiseco Piston
Top-end gasket
0.40 rate fork springs
(was thinking that I will send head and carb to RB while apart but thats another ~$220 to add to the total cost and I can tolerated it without once the piston and forks are fixed? any opinions?)
printed manual (was thinking used off ebay...or even a PDF on CD since my internet connection isn't reliable to use the online one every time I need it)

Down the road all I'll need later are
Boyesen 607 reeds
Pipe to silencer gasket (mine leaks currently)
FMF woods pipe? (planning on keeping the stock silencer just to save cost as of now!)

please feel free to make or add or even make "How I would do it..." comments!

Thanks Ya'll

JT
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

http://www.locomx.com I tore the rocky mountain mc sticker off my bike and replaced it with 3 LOCO stickers, thats how much I like them.
I buy crap from them every pay check it seems like... this months purchases include ASV Levers, Moose Pipe Guard, riding pants, and a shift lever so far. I have a skid plate and new foot pegs on my list for the next buy.

I'm going for the Weisco piston kit that comes with all the rings and gaskets and such this winter, planning on doing the RB mod's at the same time.

re: pipe to silencer gasket... ZIP TIE that joker. if you need a pic let me know, Im running a black one but green would be pretty slick
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

You zip tie the pipe on?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

No I zip tie'd the gasket at the joint, it was spoogeing on the swing arm and caliper guard. Zipped it up and now it never leaks.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's exactly what I do too.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

Cool one more thing to take off my list! (I just thought it was because it was 7 years old!)

I checked out the locomx site (I've been a rockymountain regular too) I little different/difficult to navigate since I can't search by vehicle (or maybe I missed it) but if its a good seller I will give them a go.

Where is everyone buying their Fork springs from?
2002 KDX220, Wiseco piston, RB Head and Carb, FMF Rev, 0.41 fork springs in stock forks.
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

>|<>QBB<
raisedinal wrote:Cool one more thing to take off my list! (I just thought it was because it was 7 years old!)

I checked out the locomx site (I've been a rockymountain regular too) I little different/difficult to navigate since I can't search by vehicle (or maybe I missed it) but if its a good seller I will give them a go.

Where is everyone buying their Fork springs from?

http://www.racetech.com/
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

i would go with the pipe fist and then the top end

here is the cheapest sight for the top end http://www.psep.biz/store/kawasaki_dirt ... n_kits.htm
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

uh, not unless you're a gambling man. The stock piston has been known to trash the entire engine. Lots of folks on this site are familiar with the failures ranging from cracks in the skirt to much more destruction. On a 220 the piston is job one. Since the head comes off then, might as well send it to Ron since the 220s benefit hugely from his work.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Buying on line is O.K.
If possible, establishing a good relationship with your local kawy motorcycle shop is really helpful.
In my case I have not found that much of a cost difference. The guy behind the counter has stopped me from buying the wrong stuff often enough......

I'd do your list just a little different
Piston and rings and gasket set
Head by RBD
Reeds ?
Pipe ?
'97 (?) XR400 springs and maybe revalve forks (the .40 years. '01+?)
Revalve/service shock
Rear linkage bearings/service

I think there is more to be gained doing suspension and handling work than engine hop up work. That being said, the piston ought to be changed and the head change is really inexpensive for what you get.

I've used monkeybuttparts and have been pretty happy with them
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Gotcha...I do that too. Safety wire.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
raisedinal

Post by raisedinal »

>|<>QBB<
KarlP wrote:Buying on line is O.K.
If possible, establishing a good relationship with your local kawy motorcycle shop is really helpful.
In my case I have not found that much of a cost difference. The guy behind the counter has stopped me from buying the wrong stuff often enough......

I'd do your list just a little different
Piston and rings and gasket set
Head by RBD
Reeds ?
Pipe ?
'97 (?) XR400 springs and maybe revalve forks (the .40 years. '01+?)
Revalve/service shock
Rear linkage bearings/service

I think there is more to be gained doing suspension and handling work than engine hop up work. That being said, the piston ought to be changed and the head change is really inexpensive for what you get.

I've used monkeybuttparts and have been pretty happy with them
I'm 100% in agreement with suspension...I actually found some XR400 springs...but they turned out to be too wide (about 39mm diameter) so I think I asked for the wrong year...I only paid the shipping for them so no big loss but I'm ready to just buy springs. (I'm 180 so shock is fine) Its not leaking and has good pressure), I did service the fork.

So I guess I'll get a piston and gasket kit...send the carb and head while its off...and see what the budget alows afterwards.

THanks All!
pinitwot

Post by pinitwot »

ok just wondering on this head, cylinder, and carb mod by rbd or frederate or who ever; how much do each of these cost? and which gets u the most gain. i tried a search but could not find the answers i wanted. and do you have to run race gas with these mods?
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

pinitwot, check the section of the forum called "RB Head and Carb Mod Q&A". That has all the information you could ever need, also has a link to the RB web site.. http://www.rb-designs.com His site has prices and he gives you the option of running race gas or pump gas