KDX200 Selling!!!!!! Or maybe - what are peoples thoughts.

Got questions? We got answers....
Neesmo31

KDX200 Selling!!!!!! Or maybe - what are peoples thoughts.

Post by Neesmo31 »

Hey all, thinking of selling my 99 KDX200 modded for a stock CRF250X. Has anyone been on both the bikes and can give me a fair arguement for keeping the KDX? I basically want more power (without being unreliable or using as much fuel as the KDX does) without more modifications to my KDX. I think a 08 CRFX would be a better option than my KDX.

What does everyone think?

Thanks in advance.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You think a 4 stroke 250 is going to have more power than a KDX? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Neesmo31

Post by Neesmo31 »

Im unsure of the specs is all. Does anyone know how much power the CRF is putting out?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That is a good question and a very hard official number to find. Around 32 HP is about all I can find and the KDX is around 37 HP .. those number are not real world though as I think they are taken at the shaft and not the rear wheel.

Keep in mind that for a 4 stroke to keep up... the motor size almost has to be doubled to compete... a 450 4 stroke is required to keep up with a 250 2 stroke.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I have no trouble keeping up with my friends who ride 450f's on my old KDX. If you're looking for more reliable and more power, a 250F is the wrong place to be looking. If I was going to move to a 4t it would have to be a 450.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'd hang on to the KDX.......

When the CRFX motor blows, the KDX motor would be really nice in that frame.

Really, not knowing what kind of riding you have in mind makes the question hard to answer. If you are running around all the time with the throttle pinned maybe you need more HP. I'm not sure the 250 CRFX would satisfy if that is the case.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Why do you need more power? What type of terrain do you ride? If the KDX just plain isn't applicable to where you ride then the X probably isn't either.

As I'm sure you know most mods on the KDX are more for the delivery of power, but not really to make much more that would show up on a dyno...This is because most can't use what it has in the terrain it's designed for. Next step for me would be 250 2T if this is a terrain related issue.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I've watched riders on the KDX200 motor up near vertical terrain I can't get up with my KX250. They have plenty of power. It's all about riding ability. If you have it, that KDX is plenty powerful enough to send a 250+ pound guy up anything the rear tire can make contact with. Stuff I could not even stand up on, it was so steep and slippery.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Neesmo31

Post by Neesmo31 »

Thanks guys, yeah i guess i had a bit of a bad weekend riding with a mate who had a stock wr450f with a bald tyre, me on my bike pinned was absolutely no match for the 450. He was just too quick. Also with a new tyre on mine i was finding it hard to break traction sometimes to powerslide around and out of corners (in some instances i needed the rear to step out for me) which it struggled a bit. i am a 90kg rider too.

I love my bike because of its reliability but was just putting it out there to see if a crfx would be a better option than what i ride now.

Thanks all.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Still depends on what you do w/ the bike. If you're riding fields against a 450 then yes you're on the wrong bike and the 250X will still be the wrong bike. :wink:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Like Fuzz says, depends on riding. Sounds like your riding flat and fast, not hills and technical. Where I'm from, the flat/fast is desert riding and the KDX really isn't the BEST choice for desert unless you are just out trail riding, not play racing.

Find some mates who would be willing to swap bikes for a loop or two just to see how you might like a 250 or even the 450.

BTW, do some searches here in the KDX site; there are plenty of ways to really wake up the KDX motor and get it to perform. Jetting, carb mods by RB, head reshaping, KIPS service, even suspension can make that bike go much faster than stock.

CHEERS!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Neesmo31

Post by Neesmo31 »

Thanks guys. Yeah the previous owner has raised compression, bored and jetted the carby appropriately, airbox opened up, vforce reeds, FMF expansion chamber and FMF shorty muffler. Id be guessing that should push at least 40hp due to the stock motor making around 37hp. Correct?

Thanks again.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
skipro3 wrote:I've watched riders on the KDX200 motor up near vertical terrain I can't get up with my KX250. They have plenty of power. It's all about riding ability. If you have it, that KDX is plenty powerful enough to send a 250+ pound guy up anything the rear tire can make contact with. Stuff I could not even stand up on, it was so steep and slippery.
250+ ??

Are you kidding?

Riding a little 200?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I figured CC is about half your size and he weighs, what? Maybe 125. That would make you about 250.
Jerry

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Oh **** you were talking about me??

I wish I only weighed 250 :lol:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canuckhybrid125
Supporting Member

Post by canuckhybrid125 »

I had a WR250F and im sure it was'nt any slower than my modded KX200.The CRF250X has e start,wide ratio transmission,inverted forks,good ergonomics plus lots of torque for lugging and its easier to ride.If you keep a close eye on the valves,change oil and filter every 5 hours and make sure your air filter is clean and no dirt gets past it you should be ok.The reason I sold my 4stroke is that I was always wondering when the engine was going to blow and did'nt want to worry about that every time I got on the bike.I went back to 2stroke because its more fun to ride and no worries about the engine.I will never go back to 4stroke.

2002 WR250F Blew up three months after I sold $2.500-$3.000 damage
It Is What It Is

2000 KX KDX Hybrid
2006 KX 100
2004 TTR 125 LE
2010 KTM 300
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

thats one clean WR I'm diggin' the black wheels with red hubs.
pretty sweet lift you got there too
Thats one of those bikes you see the pin-up girl laid out on in heels and riding gloves with a poke-a-spot swim suit and a smile. at least with the kdx she'd get the same good strong ride every time :cool:
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac
TWMOODY
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by TWMOODY »

Make it easy on yourself.
Keep the KDX and buy a new KX450F for the blast threw the fields
throwing the roost on your buddy with the WR :lol:

I was going to sell my KDX after purchasing a KX and have
sense decided to keep the KDX also.
Neesmo31

Post by Neesmo31 »

did someone say black rims on red hubs? lol

sorry couldnt help myself. yeah i might keep it for the time being and see how she goes. its been a really good bike and im starting to learn the bike pretty good now.
bronco95tgp

Post by bronco95tgp »

thats sharp. is your coolant overflow tank painted black or green or what?
its a '04 KDX 220 cadillac