Throttle question

Got questions? We got answers....
knowledge seeker

Throttle question

Post by knowledge seeker »

How to make the throttle turn lighter?. I've lubed the cable & rerouted it, but still feels pretty firm to turn compared to my motocross bike. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Roger
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Replace your throttle cable.

Check your slide for any 'wear' (plating coming off).

Take the assembly off the bar, check for dirt and crud underneath.

Barkbuster interference? If you twist it to WOT and let go, does it return by itself? It should.

The curved tube on top of the PWK can get a groove worn into it over time. That situation both increases resistance AND causes more wear on the throttle cable than necessary

A working KDX throttle has practically NO resistance.

I'm saying something is wrong with your setup that 'lubrication' won't cure. Indeed...it probably made it worse.

...and don't 'reroute' it. Route it correctly.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

The curved tube coming out of the carb is easy to get together wrong. There is a little clip that holds the cable end into the tube; if the clip is missing the cable will get goobered up. Be careful of strands of cable getting into the area above the slide and causing all kinds of trouble.

A new cable and cleaning everything up should make for an easy pull.

There aren't too many choices in cable routing.

If you want to get fancy, try a '95 KX125 cable and throttle assembly (the part that goes on the handlebar). I found the mechanism to be a better design and a shorter pull. The slightly shorter pull should have made it harder to twist but the better mechanism actually made it easier.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Lubing the throttle assembly is not a good practice. It will eventually gunk up the works and stick badly. The best functioning throttle assemblies are dry and clean as a whistle.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Lubing the throttle assembly is not a good practice. It will eventually gunk up the works and stick badly. The best functioning throttle assemblies are dry and clean as a whistle.
Amen.

'Fer example...when you lubricated your throttle cable did you disconnect the cable from the carb to 1: Keep the flushed junk OUT of the carb, and B: Allow the solvent/carrier to dry before you put it back together?

It's a personal choice..and I'm not interested in argument to the contrary, but I have not had a problem with any cable anywhere UNLESS I 'lubricated' it. Which is why I don't do it anymore. I do replace cables every couple/few years to ensure I don't have any problems with them on the trail, but I never 'lubricate' them.

I understand that isn't what Inda was saying (never lubricate cables)..I'm just adding my $.02 on the whole lube idea.

Consider the source

MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Lubing the throttle assembly is not a good practice. It will eventually gunk up the works and stick badly. The best functioning throttle assemblies are dry and clean as a whistle.
Amen.

'Fer example...when you lubricated your throttle cable did you disconnect the cable from the carb to 1: Keep the flushed junk OUT of the carb, and B: Allow the solvent/carrier to dry before you put it back together?

It's a personal choice..and I'm not interested in argument to the contrary, but I have not had a problem with any cable anywhere UNLESS I 'lubricated' it. Which is why I don't do it anymore. I do replace cables every couple/few years to ensure I don't have any problems with them on the trail, but I never 'lubricate' them.

I understand that isn't what Inda was saying (never lubricate cables)..I'm just adding my $.02 on the whole cable lube idea.

I'll third that!
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
knowledge seeker

Post by knowledge seeker »

Thank you guys for your replies, but like I said the cable has been lubed, although as some of you pointed out I still have a few things to check. Thanks!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

huh??

Maybe I misunderstand your response, but these guys are telling you lubing the cable is very likely the cause of the problem.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '.. but like I said the cable has been lubed..'

Which is why I said: 'Replace your throttle cable.'

:hmm:

Which is why CM said: 'huh??'

Yes. You have some other things to check. And, yes, you likely need to replace your cable.

I'm not sure who all is confused about what...but somebody is about SOMEthing.

I am 'fer sure. :rolleyes:

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

lube+cable=BAD!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

How 'bout THIS ONE?

:wink:

OK...I guess that isn't funny. The first time I clicked on Fuzzy's link, I got a 'Warrior' throttle cable. Went to check to see if perchance the two PN were the same...got 'KDX' cables.

...a 2000 KDX 200 cable, which isn't likely what Fuzzy looked for.......

Once you get there, I guess it can be figgered out, 'eh? Just be sure you order the correct cable!

Consider the source

Byte

Post by Byte »

i pulled my carbi and dumped it in fuel and found a whole lot of little wire strands at bottom of bucket (containing fuel).

Now, I think I know where these strands of wire may have came from.... :shock:

Time for the new cable - may try that '95 KX125 cable and throttle assembly.

I'm assuming it will fit my KDX220?

I have checked out the Fiche for the 1995 KX125 throttle assy and note that some part numbers are the same as the KDX220 - including the throttle cable.

I notice that the upper and lower throttle case part numbers ar edifferent however.

So, to retrofit my existing KDX 220 throttle assy with the KX125 throttle assy, what parts do I require?

Byte
Byte
Byte

Post by Byte »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:
The curved tube on top of the PWK can get a groove worn into it over time. That situation both increases resistance AND causes more wear on the throttle cable than necessary
what is this curved tube?

byte
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Do you not know where to find the fiche? You can look up any parts diagram online.... feed yourself for once.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

plb

Post by plb »

I lube my throttle and clutch cable like this:
Cleaning and Lubing Cables

Lubing your cables is one of the cheapest ways to keep your bike feeling new. Water and dirt seep into your cables when you wash the bike. Using a pressure washer is even more of a problem. Cleaning and lubing your cables not only eliminates the water and dirt but also increases the cable's life. To clean and lube your cables, you have to remove the cable from the perch and lever. For throttle cables you must disconnect the carburetor end; you don't want to flush water and dirt into the carburetor. Put on a standard cable lube tool and flush the cable with contact cleaner. The contact cleaner will cleanse any dirt and grime in its path. Then flush the cable several times with a lubricant.

About every third time you lube the cable, reassemble the lever with some light grease around the pivot hole. The light grease will give the lever a smoother feel and reduce the effort required to operate it. The grease will also attract grit, so you will need to clean the lever and perch more often than if you leave it dry.
Link:
http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0407_ ... index.html
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I will put it this way... I still have the original throttle cable on mine... it is a 95.... that is about 15 years old. I have never lubed that cable and it still acts like new.... smooth as silk still.

What am I doing wrong? :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Inda that can't possibly be right. :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

CC, when I click on both my link and yours I get 2003 KDX 200, which happens to be what I searched for. :neutral:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

So, to retrofit my existing KDX 220 throttle assy with the KX125 throttle assy, what parts do I require?

Byte

I used ALL of them.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
barryadam
Supporting Member

Post by barryadam »

Lubing cables was the shizzle back before manufacturers started making teflon lined outers. What was that, like about 30 years ago or so? I can't remember seeing broken braids on a cable in about the same length of time.

Nowadays, the TFE liner may wear a bit and a new cable is the only long term solution to friction free performance.

I thought there was a bit of discussion somewhere about throttle cable in front of / behind the petcock? I have had to watch while installing my tank to be sure not to pinch the throttle cable. Maybe that wa a problem for the OP?
"I hate heli-coils. They are like hospice for motorcycle parts."- BDI