stock light wiring harness on a '00 KDX200

Got questions? We got answers....
Little Jeff

stock light wiring harness on a '00 KDX200

Post by Little Jeff »

I have said bike, it came with the dual DHH light set up from Acerbis. It uses 2 20watt tungsten halogen bulbs. It works really weel except for the fact if it gets cold or wet outside and I have the lights on it forms condensation on the inside of the bulbs. Was thinking about going back to stock light set up UFO sells a light that is equivalent to stock (35watt) I need to know what the stock light wire harness looks like. I just have 2 wires feeding power to the lights right now, The oem fische shows 3 wires for the light harness. Is the 3rd a ground wire or something? I would like to keep the light setup I have now, but with winter coming, I feel I will be replacing lights all the time. I get the bulbs at Home Depot as they are a house light. Maybe that's the problem right there. Maybe they are just for interior use only. I'm sure I have the stock lighting coil in bike hence the 2 20watters that were in there before. The stock lighting coil only puts out 35 watts, right? I have no tail light either. Any ideas as to how I can cure the condensation problem? If not, I will be going back to a oem style light.
Thanks in advance
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You're referring to the 2-pin style halogen bulbs, correct?

Like these from Steahlyoffroad.com?

This style of lamp does leak sometimes. I've gotten this type of lamp from a local plumbing/electrical store. They leaked. The lights I have gotten from Steahly have NOT leaked. The lights I have in now have been in for at least 2-3 years.

The rating of the OEM lighting coil varies..but generally considered to be 40-45 watts.

I can't say exactly how your bike is wired, but if you know how the bike works, it's simple enough to figure out.

OEM-wise:

The wire from the coil is yellow. That is UNregulated power. The handlebar switches the yellow wire TO the regulator (red wire) and the front light in parallel. The OEM headlight shell is connected, then, to that regulated power and ground.

A dual light will need to have the socket for each lamp wired individually, so you will have 'hot' (regulated AC power) to one pin of each, ground to the other.

There may be a twin 'socket' assembly that has a single connection for each ground and power to the internal pair of lamps. I haven't seen one.

All you need to know is that the lights require regulated power from the switch...so do NOT disconnect the VR from the circuit...and ground.

If you take power from the switch and connect it ONLY to any lamp with ground on the other SIDE of the lamp...you WILL blow up the lamp. There is over 100VAC coming out of the lighting coil.

How's that?

Oh...if you are going to use a taillight, do NOT use the OEM style (incandescent 1156) lamp with your current setup. You cannot run 40W up front effectively with the 10W tail. Use either an LED marker-type lamp (WalMart used to have 'em..in the trailer/rec vehicle section) OR get an LED style lamp with the 1156 base.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

Thanks Canyncarvr. Yep, those are the lights.I will give those lights a try. Anything is better than replacing lights every other ride. You said you had yours in for 2-3 years and they haven't leaked or formed condensation inside? Wow! I can't use a tail light anyways, I have the mx style rear fender.
Thanks again
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'You said you had yours in for 2-3 years and they haven't leaked or formed condensation inside?'

Correct.

I don't know other lamps I've used got wet on the inside from leakage or condensation buildup. I know they had water IN them.

One of the lamps I have in now is NOT crystal clear lens-wise. I use my lights seldom, and then primarily to make ME more visible to other riders, not to light my way. I don't care for night-riding, and avoid it if I can. Too exciting for me!

Good luck!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!