bent pipe question

Got questions? We got answers....
jswag

bent pipe question

Post by jswag »

I noticed a little smoke coming from my pipe where it comes out of the motor..on closer inspection i saw that the pipe was bent and the o-ring was showing on one side...My friend says i shouldnt ride it cause it will harm the motor... is this true? There is spooge coming out..but most of the exhaust is clearly still making it out the tailpipe. I need a new pipe but i cant afford it right now.Any info appreciated thanks.
Brian
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by Brian »

I rode my KDX with the pipe bent a little and an O-ring showing and although it ran ok (with some loss of power) it did indeed damage the head. The pipe made a gouge around part of the exhaust port. Fortunatly the gouge was small enough that the new pipe and O-rings don't leak.
KX 250, KDX 220, KDX 220, KDX 200, CR 80

I don't believe in a society where the thrill of living is traded for the safety of existance---Nick Inatsch
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Definitely! Keep in mind that on a piped 2-cycle gasses go BOTH ways through that spigot. Must be SEALED.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
jswag

Post by jswag »

thanks! i oredered the fmf knarly woods pipe and power core 2 silencer this morning. Ive been waiting for a reason know i got it. jimmy swag
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If aftermarket, you can tweak a bent pipe to fit. Use a couple of long sturdy levers fit into the ends...bend it.

They bend quite easily.

Mount the pipe with only the springs, seat it square in the cylinder (you can feel it), judge from the position of the mounting tabs and the S/A which way it needs to get tweaked.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jswag

Post by jswag »

I was gonna try to bend the stock pipe but it has several dents in it from previous encounters,so i just replaced it.I needed a new copper washer also, it cost me $11.00 with shipping..ouch!