I'm stuck, KDX or EXC

Got questions? We got answers....

I'm stuck, KDX or EXC

Post by Guest »

I've been looking for a KDX200 to replace my XR250. I found a really nice 200exc yesterday. I emailed on it and its still for sale at a good price. It has an fmf gnarly pipe, cf pipe guard, suspension revalve, skid plate and so on... I would love the exc but for the tight stuff I get into alot I think it might be a little too pipey. I've never owned a twostroke bike before, however I think I'll like them. The KDX will do great, plus its quiet which is also important. The only thing I fear is I will get bored with it or outdo the suspension. I'm a trail rider with a hope to do some fun off road racing in the future. I also don't want the EXC to be annoying sounding, it has a stock silencer. I need more opinions...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The opinions here will be biased...as they will be on the KTM forums... So, I don't know what your looking for here... :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "

Post by Guest »

bias or not its all helpful...
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

OK.. I had a 98 KTM 250EXC... a handful to say the least, the ergo's were wrong for tight trails, the seat was a sheet of bedrock but other than that... it was a great bike. I am much happier with the KDX... it's much more managable and freindly. Plus you can make it what you want... a kitten or a tiger.... I can't say the same for the KTM.

Does that help?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "

Post by Guest »

Yes it does. Thats what I'm afraid of about the exc, while its a great bike it will be too much in the tight stuff. If I rode more open, western type stuff I wouldn't worry so much but when your in tight nasty stuff and aren't having the greatest day riding I don't want to have a bike that will fight me.
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I can't speak for the 200 EXC but I do have a 380 EXC (since 98) and have recently purchased a new KDX 200 for my boy.

I wanted to dial the KDX for the boy so I was playing with the jetting and stuff and really started to enjoy riding the KDX. Have about 300 miles on it and my excuse now is I want to get some miles on it while its still under warranty. I don't know what the next excuse will be when the warranty runs out but I sure someone here can help me come up with another plausable excuse. Oh - BTW I haven't even ridden the 380 yet this year.

I've been thoughly enjoying the tight turning, excellent braking, a power band which you can fully utilize, plus the ergos really seem to fit me. The bike is really predictable IMO

Gnarly pipe, boyseen reeds, RD- head, rejetted carb, CR-hi-bend bars and 13/50 gearing, & stiffer springs/heavy oil in forks. Really minimal $$ changes in my opinion. :supz: :lol: :wink:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Now that's an endorsement Charley!

From what I've experianced, the 200EXC is a bit twitchy to ride and requires full attention. You might find the 300EXC a better overall ride if you are going to start competing. I've discovered in the last 3 enduros a total of only 2 other KDX's even entered. (Well over 500 motorcycles total) Their riders could not provide me with any intelligent conversation in regards to their KDX's. The enduros were lousy with 300EXC's though and the riders all sounded like they are well informed about any fix-up to the bike for specific applications.

I don't have a 300EXC myself but I have research them extensively. For now, I will keep my KDX. It had all the performance I needed on the day I got it, and it's been tweakable since then, to keep up with my learning curve and riding ability.

My opinion is: If you are already a competitive rider, have plenty of money and want to have social interaction at the riding events you enter, then get a 300EXC. If you are just getting into competition, not familiar with 2 stroke handleing, operation, maintenance, don't have a butt load of cash, pick up a used (or even new for that matter) KDX and develop your skills as a rider and bike tuner. The KDX can grow as you grow and won't break the bank doing so. I have a bike that is now as competitive as any KTM out there (race stats say so) and at least $3000 in cash to use for other things as well.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's exactly it... It is as close to perfect for the woods as you can possibly get. If you plan to race wide open high speed... a KDX is not your bike. But if you ride wide open occasionally but stay mainly in the woods (or tight narrow gnarly places) ... a KDX IS your bike.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

The KDX is the perfect bike to get re-aquainted with 2 strokes or with riding. They are exceptionally capable as ST (desert or woods) machine. They love the tight stuff. If your looking for wide open fast stuff or MX stuff there are better choices.
The best thing about the KDX is that (as said above) can be made to ride almost any way you want to tweak it.

As far as the KTM...Even though I am biased towards the Green and will probably make the '05 KX 250 my next desert weapon :mrgreen: (to keep along side the KDX :supz: )...the 200 exe is a fun machine. :grin: It's ergoed more like an MX bike but on a little smaller frame. You really can tell the difference in size between the 200 and 250/300 exes. They tend to have a nasty hit from the factory, but that is easily fixed with jetting and needle changes. As far as the ones I have ridden...they handle the tight stuff just as well as the KDX. The motors are sweet and the bike comes with a lot of goodies. Too bad they are orange. Also, sitting on the seat is like sitting on a 2 x 4. They can also be hard to get parts for sometimes (way harder that oem KDX stuff). For the money...hands down the KDX is the choice. See the numerous reasons others have posted.

So...I guess what I am saying (after two paragraphs :roll: ) is that the KDX is a better choice for a new to two stroke or new to dirt biking rider. :cool:

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

The biggest advantage you're looking at when comparing a KDX versus a MX 2-stroke is the wide trans....Of course you stated that you're looking at an EXC which includes that. From what I've READ is that the 200 is pretty pipey, but in my experience most pipe-heavy nature can easily be controlled by a Wide Trans. You pick the gear you want and ride it...keeping it off the pipe if you wish...Throttle control is very key here. The KDX200 is kind of a pipey machine as well, but certainely does better than the 200exc off the bottom, and less radical on top(again, from what I've read). I LOVE KTM's, but if I were to buy one I don't think it would be the 200 as I like lots of torque along w/ my WR trans. I like torque, but at the same time would never ride a 4-stroke. A good 'torquey' 2-stroke is what I dig, and the KDX is just that....as are the larger bore KTM's. Coming off the XR you would probably like the KDX better...For that matter a 220, but the 200 is a more modifiable machine in the long run. The larger bore KTM's can be quite radical, but if you've never ridden an enduro 2-stroke that you don't know what you're missing :mrgreen:

At any rate, either bike is awesome. Either bike will astound you over the XR in the susp/flickability department....especially the KTM(AND it's been revalved being a sweet add-on...a MUST for the KDX so keep this in mind). People compare the newer gen KDX to the XR400, not the XR250 and the KDX generally comes out on top. A KDX will be leaps and bounds better than the XR250. IMO, what it comes down to is this....What is the cost of the KTM????????? If it's a good deal over what you can buy a KDX for w/ all the goodies attached than the KTM is the better deal, IMO....If it is $1000 more than a good used KDX than not so much...Bascially $2k or less that KTM is a steal, and lots can be done w/ it to improve the bottom-end power delivery. Carb talk is huge on this forum, and both bikes use basically the same carbs which can gain HUGE bottom end with the help of RB-Designs, port-work, and a reed-cage. Obviously not all of thes mods need to be done, but the KTM(especally a revalved one...check on the WEIGHT of the rider it was valved for BTW) will already save you some $$$ in mods. Once again....it all depends on the cost of the Orange bike....IMO
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I'm pretty sure alot of the newer KTM's have an adjustable power valve. I don't know if that tames the power band down a little or just moves the same hit lower in the RPM range but it might (or might not) help if you are just starting out. Good luck with the choice ALTHOUUUUGH :rolleyes: I'd have to say that you'll be hard pressed finding another site with the same dedication, knowlegde, atmosphere, people, kindness and down to earthness (?? if thats a word even) that you will find right here. Well so I reckons anyways :razz: !!! :supz: :partyman:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."

Post by Guest »

Ok basically it was a stellar 01 exc with a bunch of goodies. I just found an 04 kdx220 with 16 miles on it brand new for just under 3000. I think I'm going to try and move on it. I was thinking a KDX200 but I like low end so the 220 should work goood for me.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I LOVE my 220. It's easy to ride, easy to hop-up and can win at the races, even with an old fart like me at the controls!! Good luck getting it, that's a great price too!
Now I just need a spot to put all the awards I'm getting.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Get the KDX. If you are needing more bike, you can resell the KDX and recoup most of your money, then get an EXC in the future, if need be. If you are used to an XR, going to a KDX would be more forgiving than going to an EXC.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FWIW, if you take your time keep your eye out you can find a decked out used KDX for less than $3k....That whole my loss, you're gain thing :wink:

The best deal I've ever seen that I'm still kicking myself over was a 1997 200 w/ newer KX125 forks valved for woods, valved shock, sprung for 190lbs, Eric Gorr 225, hinson clutch, FWW, the whole Scotts top-clamp deal w/o dampener, fatbars, EE Guards, computer, mucho Devol/EE armor, fresh cosmetics, fresh michelins, fresh bearings.....Went for $1500 on ebay. I watched the aution end biting my nails at the time. Just didn't have the coin to spare!! :cry:

Where do you live?
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

2000 Kawasaki KDX220 in Memphis,TN 2000 KDX220.Bike was bought new in 2001.New Wiseco top end,New Boyesen Power Reeds,Race Tech suspension front and back,FMF Gnarley Pipe/Turbine Core II Silencer,Renthal bars,Ceet Tall-Firm seat foam and Ceet gripper cover,Acerbis bark busters,IMS pegs,FRP Torque Ring,Uni Air Filter,Assorted Jets and more! Trail Ridden occasionally only-Low miles.Lovingly maintained.100% Synthetic Oil used always.This KDX220 is in Fantastic condition,has over $900 in Mods and looks almost new..Located in Memphis,TN (West Tennessee/North Mississippi). Asking $2395 OBO. More info and pics johnbele@hotmail.c_om or here's a pic link http://www.storemypic.com/uploads/d3fe70d1d4.jpg
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

In NM:

I have two 2000 KDX's for sale. One is basically stock with a new top end (didn't need it but the exhaust valve needed cleaning. It has a street license plate and has been professionally lowered for my 5'3 daughter. It has the plate but needs the lights/horn etc. $1900 OBO

The other was mine and has all the goodies in terms of protection, rad, frame, skid, has race tech valves and a rebuilt modified rear, gripper seat, fatbars, PC pipe and silencer, runs great. I'm the 2nd owner got it almost new. Has always been well taken care off, barkbusters, more I can't remember right now. Runs super. $2000 OBO

Seller is jirvine on DRN

Post by Guest »

Ok the 220 I was telling you about is already sold. I don't think I'm going to get the EXC, however my friend may very well buy it. What do you guys think of this KDX? Give me your opinion. http://adcache.cycletrader.com/5/7/4/79341974.htm thanks.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

That looks like a great one. In my experience, the normal price for a recent one that is in great shape with some aftermarket goodies is usually the low to mid $2,000's.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Ditto....It's all about location, and paying less than new $$$ for a bike that already has the mods you're going to need. The KDX 200 hasn't changed since '95...They came out w/ the 220 in '97, and it hasn't changed either.....Just graphics changes...

IMO, it's not wise to buy a showroom new KDX but we're all glad there are people who do....