BIG Power valve/exaust valve problem!!!!

Got questions? We got answers....
KDX220rser

BIG Power valve/exaust valve problem!!!!

Post by KDX220rser »

Ok guys, I'm doing a top-end on the220r and a just ran into I major problem. I took it completely apart bc I wanted to clean power valve. The thing was a mess! Everything caked with black carbon buildup. But my girlfriend was next to me and asked how power valve worked. I showed her and noticed that the two exaust valves where moving opposite of each other. As in when one open the other closed. She asked why and I didn't know. Well every thing clean and ready to be put back together. Got the valves back in with all parts lined up like the book says and guess what? The valves open and close together now!!!!! WTF? I know they are lined up correct!! I got them lined up the way the book says! And I know I saw them opening opposite when I was taking it apart!! How should they be? Is the book wrong or could some one have torn in to this bike before and put this together wrong? Help! I am stuck!!!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
03 Ozark (under construction)
1978 Honda NC50 (under construction)
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

they're supposed to open and close together. The nitwit who worked on it before you screwed it up. Sounds like your girlfriend has a logical mind.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Is she available? :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
tbirdsp

Post by tbirdsp »

When my wife has trouble sleeping she has me explain to her (again) how a motorcycle engine works :roll: Puts her right out...
Mike S.
'98 KDX200
'07 KLX250S
'06 KLR650
'93 ST1100
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

Ha ha thanks guys! And she just getting into it and wants to learn everything. She had her first ride the other day and she did extremely well! Only fell once trying a cross a ditch to slow. She even road her first wheelie! But she all mine sorry guys!! But the old kdx is hers as soon as it's fixed! And she already look for a 03 kx125 frame.. She must get on here a bit to much! Thanks again!!
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..and noticed that the two exaust valves where moving opposite of each other.'

Having spent a good lot of time recently on a thread where wording like that was a problem..........

They DO move 'opposite' from each other.

Re: 'As in when one open the other closed.'

THAT is wrong...as long as you understand what 'open' and 'closed' means.

Something else you should check, considering the subport drums to have been installed backwards, is the state of the advancer assembly. There is a flat on the shaft of the governor rod that is to be used to support the rod while you wrench off the LHT nut on top of the rod. If that support is NOT supplied, the advancer assembly WILL break.

The resultant piece(es) have destroyed engines after they get stuck in a very wrong place.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDX220rser

Post by KDX220rser »

so yes they should move opposite of each other but both be open at the same time. as in one turns clock wise to open and the other counter clock wise.
09 KTM 250 XC-W
2005 KX-DX Hybrid
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yes.

'Open' meaning the cylinder has two additional exhaust paths to the exhaust port. When 'closed', the RH subport drum is simply closed, the LH subport drum diverts return pressure waves to the Helmholtz resonator, the volume under the cap on the LH side of the cylinder that says 'KIPS'.

...and...the condition of the advancing assembly is...............????

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!