Winter Project - Opinions please

Got questions? We got answers....
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Winter Project - Opinions please

Post by Varmint »

I saw this KDX250 and thought it would be a great project to learn more about engine repair. I'd rather have my first crack at this POS than my beloved KDX200.

http://hartford.craigslist.org/mcy/1398849947.html

I understand the description is vague and when I contacted the seller he said it does not run.

I'm pretty good at checking out a bike as it pertains to everything but the engine. I'm not so confident on what to look for to know if the engine is repairable.

What do you think? Is it worth a look?

Tell me what tests/procedures I can perform to get a feel that the engine can be fixed.

Thanks!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

See it if turns over smoothly. This will show bottom/top end in most likely usable condition. I'd offer $100.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Ditto what Fuzzy said.

See if you can cycle through the gears for a basic tranny check (rear wheel off the ground, 'natch..rocking the wheel back and forth as you move the shift lever by hand.

In neutral, the kicker might move the crank/piston ok..but a busted-stuck transmission could be a spendy fix.

Good luck with it!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
greentrashmasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by greentrashmasher »

I just bought one of those this spring. Most of the lower end parts are similar to 89 KX250. Some stuff is unique to the model however and can be more difficult to get.

Unfortunately there aren't any simple tests that you can perform to thoroughly check engine condition. Generally you can expect the engine condition to be similar to the rest of the bike. Check for loose mounting bolts, worn or cracked nmounts, shifter welded onto shaft, bent or sloppy kick lever, leaking seals/hoses, broken clutch locater on cases, etc. Also check the oil level/color if you can, the air filter condition, and coolant level/color. Bring a plug and wrench with you to check for spark. If it hasn't run in a while the gas is probably bad and it won't run, but you can kick it over and 'feel' for compression, and listen for any unusual noises as well as checking the starter mechanism. As a for instance my bike feels like it has killer compression when kicking over, but the cylinder is badly worn.

As for engine it's fairly simple to work on, same as almost all 2 strokes.

In my opinion 'Needs headgasket" translates to 'bore needs to be plated' unless it can be proved otherwise. After all who wouldn't spend the 20 bucks for a head gasket? Plating and piston kit will run about 350$-400$, new cylinder is over $500. It may not need it, but don't be surprised if it does. Gasket kits are readily available. Used parts availabilty is spotty on the auction sites.
This is a positive thing in a way since if you find that it isn't worth fixing, at least you can part it out.

I find that it helps me to bring an impartial observer with me to notice all the stuff I won't see because I'm blinded by the thrill of getting a new toy.
BTW I paid 3 hundred for mine (it did start and run) and it was probably too much. :?
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

Thanks for all the advice!
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX