Lucas semi-syn 2T oil

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Lucas semi-syn 2T oil

Post by canyncarvr »

This is not a 'What do you run?' or 'What do you like?' question.

Who has used Lucas 2T, and what did you think of it?

Thanks!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Never had a bad Lucas Lubrication product... Electronics on the other hand.... well...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You don't like Lucas generators? :lol:

Me neither.

Consider the source

fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Can't find it on their site? I would 2nd the fact that I've liked every product of theirs I've tried. I want ZERO castor in my woods bike, however. Other applications....could be cool.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I wish they made Castor incense for camping or just general outdoor use... I love that smell.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
mucka

Post by mucka »

25 years ago when I worked in the auto parts store we had a sign that said ' Why do the English drink warm beer? Because they have Lucas refrigerators'.

Good oil, Bad electrics

Russ
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:Can't find it on their site? I would 2nd the fact that I've liked every product of theirs I've tried. I want ZERO castor in my woods bike, however. Other applications....could be cool.
Their site is screwed up. They show a bottle of the stuff in the 'motorcycle oil' group, but it's not included in the 'next' page. Being the nice guy that I am, I emailed 'em and told 'em how screwed up it is..and told them they needed a major overhaul of their web presence. I am looking forward to a response of:
Lucas Oil wrote:THANK you for bringing this to our attention. We will get it sorted out right away. We are sending you five gallons of our wonderful 2-smoke oil for your most thoughtful notification.'

I don't understand the castor comment. The Lucas product is castor related/based?

It IS a TC-W3 spec'd oil:
Product Description
Lucas Oil Semi-Synthetic 2-Cycle High Temp Racing Oil is an advanced technology TCW3 "low smoke" two-cycle oil formulated from a special blend of mineral oil, polybutene and a low ash additive system.
That's a spec intended for boats. Boats don't generally have power-valves.

From an article about choosing a snow machine 2-T oil:
So beware: It may say snowmobile oil on the label, but it’s still boat motor oil inside if TC-W3 is the only certification rating it meets.
From HERE!

Consider the source

dmcc

Post by dmcc »

I'm trying my first tank full this week. I have always run Yamalube 2r but a friend gave me 1/2 a bottle of Lucas to try. I am running it 40:1 . I'll let you know what I think, but honestly I will most likely go on using Yamalube because of good personal experience.
I do kinda long for the castor smell :grin:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Cool CC, I couldn't get any info. Was just speculating that it had castor as it was 'semi-syn.' Well the semi-organic is mineral in this case...LOL. I don't think I'd run a boat-type injector oil in my bike....Not that I didn't run cheapo marine oil for years back in the day in my bikes, and never had an oil related failure. Just way better stuff out there now that's more application specific, and it shows at tear-down.

Ditto Inda. Love the castor smell. It's best when mixed with methanol too boot (just watch eyes). Castor does indeed make more power, but no good for me in low(er) RPM powervalved woods application. I'm talking you might see 3 PEAK HP on the dyno when mixed pure at 24:1....No need. Also adds major high rpm/heat proection. 5% might add some good smell, and not F up the PV. If I rode dunes I'd mix pure castor at 24:1. FWIW, if you ever run pure castor you should really purge it out at the end of the day. My favorite purge mix is pump gas mixed heavy with Marvels. Castor can leave a mess behind once the gas evaporates.

I have a little oil burner for inside the house....It was great when I smoked, and pretty cool otherwise. It would be awesome to throw some castor in. :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I'm still waiting for my huge THANK YOU email from Lucas Oil.... :neutral:

I'll keep y'all posted!

Yeah...the TC-W3 spec part bothers me, too.

When I changed TO a TC-W3 oil in my last RD, I was hugely impressed at the improvement in that bike. I could back off the throttle at 65-70mph, maintain speed, AND get some 4-stroking at the same time (without a 50mph tailwind btw).

Tried the exact same oil in my KDX at first. Expected it to work as well. It didn't. Not by a LONG stretch! So...I don't know about trying another of the same spec again. <$20/gal. is certainly attractive.

**UPDATE!!**

I DID get an email from a Lucas Oil rep. There was no 'Thanks!' in it, but a condescending 'how to' list for navigation of their site.

...which, followed exactly as written, didn't work either!!!

No. I'm not kidding.

Ha! It seems there IS a connection between Lucas electronics and Lucas lubricants!! They're both loony!! :rolleyes:

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Isn't tc-w3 considered too high ash content for powervalved machines? I was under the impression that the high ash content can cause a lot of buildup around the power valves and such.

No personal experience with lucas oils in my bike, although I've been happy with plenty of their automotive products.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Guess I'm missing what the navigation problem is :?

Go to the products page HERE

Scroll down to THIS

Purdy friggin difficult :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Thanks for solving the mystery!

Juliend, yeah as mentioend I would'nt run this in my powervalved bike motor...Just cause there is other stuff that is most likely better. I will outfit my bike with Lucas Oil graphics for a lifetime supply however. :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You are correct. You missed it.

Consider the source

Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Soon as I burn up the last of the Redline I'm gonna try Lucas
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Ah, I see this is a "low ash" oil. It is still tc-w3 spec though? Interesting. Looking forward to the ride reports! I have often times considered ordering up a bunch of oil online. I always end up running up to the honda shop and buying amsoil dominator, since that's the only thing I can get locally.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I don't mind running Amsoil or other oils

I just don't want to spend $10 a quart or more for it
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:I don't mind running Amsoil or other oils

I just don't want to spend $10 a quart or more for it
I hear that! $12 a quart at the honda shop. Alternatives available locally are pretty much limited to chainsaw type oils. Not cool.....
zomby woof
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by zomby woof »

I joined after this thread was started, so I missed it. I don't pretend to know much about 2 stroke oils, but I have tried a lot of them, and I know what's worked for me.

I used the Lucas oil in my RM125. I was running out of my regular oil, saw the Lucas at the TSC store, and thought I'd try it. I didn't notice any difference in the performance of the bike (the only oil to do that was Belray HR1), but after using about 1 litre of the Lucas, I did notice power really starting to fall off. It was the end of the season, but I bought the bike in June, so it only had about 1/2 a season on it. I did a piston, and ring over winter, and the power came back fine (HUGE difference), so the rings were definitely toast. I switched to Maxima 927 and since, have never noticed any drop off in power between rings changes. Was it the Lucas, or was it coincidence? Who knows? The bike was new, but who knows what it's history was before I bought it (It was a leftover 04)? Since I had some leftover, I decided to use it up in my chainsaw. Idle and starting problems showed up almost right away, so I used up the tank, and switched over to something else. The starting problems ended up killing the pull mechanism, and it was repaired under warranty. I don't know if they touched the carb (no mention on the work order), but it runs awesome again.

So did the Lucas cause the problems, or was it coincidence? I have no idea, but I don't generally buy anecdotal evidence, so I would lean toward coincidence. Nonetheless, if anybody want s a 1/2 litre of Lucas, you can have mine.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Thanks for the info woof. Not enough info to quite decide with any certainty, but why risk it. It does seem curious that you had small problems with 2 different engines shortly after starting to run it.

Carvr, sounds like there's a good deal there if you're still interested in trying this out. I'd be quite interested to see how it does for someone else.