Coolant weep/leak?

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Coolant weep/leak?

Post by canyncarvr »

At one of the cylinder studs, on the left side. The one just to the rear of centerline. Probably has a number...I don't know what it is.

Mine seeps some. It's just under the head hose..and it's not the hose that's dripping.

Just curious how common it is.

Anyone else? It's a fairly new event. Last assembled with a new head gasket w/Permatex copper coat.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... why did you use the permatex? Mine went together dry... perfect seal.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

I have heard something interesting from two different sources concerning coolant leaks. One source is a guy with 30+ years as an auto mechanic and another, one of the local Saturday morning question and answer talk radio shows. Both said the same, "Some small seeps and drips can be cured by making sure you have no more than 50% antifreeze in your system".

Might be an easy fix. But, do ya really think it could be that simple? :lol: :rolleyes:
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Why copper coat? Considered it extra 'insurance' against possible leaks, natch. Evidently an error in consideration, 'eh? First time I've used it. I thought maybe the bumped static compression could use the favor.

The pinging I've had since the port job (when I've not run Trick114) sure could've put the hurts on the cylinder/head seal.

Antifreeze is pretty slippery. I am using a 50% mix. No reason to, actually. It rarely gets that cold around here. Force of habit I guess.

It's not a huge thing. Has only seeped a bit prior to last night when I noticed it had leaked enough to form a dribble down the cylinder. But...I took the cap off the check the fluid and got a pretty good spit of air out of the pressure cap, so it's been under pressure just sitting there. Yes...it should've been a vacuum hiss..but it didn't sound like it and the coolant was coming OUT at the cylinder stud.

Someone is going to ask if I'm losing fluid. The simple answer is yes, but there is at least one other reason for some of that. It was pointed out to me (by a real cutie btw, but that's not relevant) that I was missing my res cap. Don't know how long it had been missing, but that is part of the reason I'd been low on coolant after a ride....which I have been a couple of times. Maybe 1/2 cup or so.

It's seeing the dribble that bugs me. Can't be havin' no trouble considering the upcoming weekend State of Jefferson Ride!! :wink: I'm not anal about keeping my bike spit-shine clean (ha..that's funny!)..but I don't want to be making a bigger mess than necessary! :neutral:

I consider myself fortunate that Ski and FarmerJ will even consider being seen in my general vicinity! Last I saw Ski's bike it looked like it had just come off the showroom floor.

My bike looks like it's been ridden....pretty hard AND put away wet to boot!

Oh..the 'hard' part not relating to expert use and on-the-edge riding...more like hitting hard things (mother earth) with parts that aren't supposed to (pipe, fenders, helmet and such)! YeeHAw!!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

FWIW, I always use nothing on gaskets unless you're trying to patch something, or maybe if the surfaces are a bit gnarley...

Guess if the problem isn't that bad you can just keep your eye on it?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I used copper coat last time I popped the top. Mine doesn't leak anywhere.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

I would not think the spray on copper coat would have hurt sealing. I normally follow manual protocols pretty close unless I reusing a gasket then I'll use a spray on sealer or a fine smear of silicone sealant as deemed prudent by me..
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

CC;
Is the leak right at the nut holding the head on or at the gasket between the head and the barrel? I assume you check the torque on the head and barrel occasionally?
If it's the gasket and you don't have a spare, I've been told that the stock gasket can be re-used by cleaning the RTV film off it, apply a thin coat of silver spray paint to the gasket, then install while the paint is still slightly tacky. Also the copper coat should do the same. I've not heard of anyone applying copper coat or anything else for that matter over the RTV film that is on a stock, new gasket. It might be that it had a bad reaction and is causing your problem.
Don't let this cancel the ride now!!

I suspect that if you were down 3 to 4 oz. of fluid (half a cup), the bike might have been running hotter than normal. This could have affected the torque on the nuts. Also, maybe your radiator cap is bad and isn't releasing fluid to the overflow at the correct pressure. That might allow too much pressure in the system and it found a way to release at the nut you mention.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!