More problems starting the thing

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

More problems starting the thing

Post by Mark W »

I am still having problems starting the bike. If the bike has sat for awhile, it takes several kicks (20 - 30 or so) to get it to run if I can get it to run at all. When it finally starts, nothing is done differently on the kick that got it to do so. My son says the bike sounds different when I am attempting to get it to start and the kicker seems to act differently (not as much resistance - although this could be my imagination) After it starts, I don't have the problem again until after the bike has sat for awhile. Bike runs as good as it ever has once started.

I have a clean filter, a new BR8 plug gapped correctly and fresh 92 octane gas mixed 40:1 with MX2T. My jetting is as is recommended by people here and in multpile readings (can't recall what it is) for someone who rides at 1000'. Always runs clean at the plug and the exhaust

Possible contirbuting factor - the problem seems to occur after the bike has been transported someplace. I am going to try to start the bike again tonight after it has just sat in the garage and see how hard it is to start. If it starts right up, the problem only occurs after hauling it somewhere in the pick-up. As an example - if I were to start it at home, haul it somehwere and then try to restart it, I would have difficulties. This could be a real contributing factor or an imagined one.

Got the new Maier on last night and 90% of the trailtech has been installed. I like the new look but wish that Maier would have taken the time to mold the fender so that it attached without the bolts going through the top of the fender.

Where is the mythical state of Jefferson anyway. I see that CC is hosting a group ride. Wish I could make it.

Thanks again -

Mark
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Mark... try tipping the bike on it's side until gas pours out the carb overflow lines, then try kicking it and see if it doesn't start right up. If it does then it is probably float level.

Secondly... check your vent lines to see if they are clogged .... very common problem.

Indawoods
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
John Cena

Post by John Cena »

Sounds like its probably getting flooded, do you transport it with an empty tank or full? if you transport with a full tank you might wanna shut the gas off and then drain all the fuel from the bottom float drain before you haul your bike. :razz:
dave04kdx
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by dave04kdx »

Is your choke working correctly? I remember a thread about the choke plunger not activating the choke circuit. I think it was a broken plastic clip somewhere on the plunger.

Maybe try pulling the plug after a few kicks and see what is looks and smells like. Too wet, bone dry?

Kick the bike over without the plug and see if you can smell fuel coming out of the cylinder.
At age 4 success is . . not peeing in your pants.
At age 12 success is . . having friends.
At age 16 success is having a drivers license.
At age 35 success is having money.
At age 50 success is . . having money.
At age 70 success is . . . having a drivers license.
At age 75 success is . having friends.
At age 80 success is . not peeing in your pants.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Poop! Looked at your profile to see if you listed a location..thought it was a separate window...closed it...lost all my erudite, interesting blather.....

Where are 'ya? The State of Jefferson has been suggested over the decades as a state made from the N. part of CA and the S. part of OR, those states being tired of mandates from the elsewhere population centers (LA/Portland) that are contrary to 'local' values. If you're anywhere close...get packed up and get over/up/down here!!!

Don't just kick the thing...try some of the approaches listed..tilting, looking at the plug after a couple are good ones. Make sure the gas is off when transporting. The petcock is pretty touchy. A slight bit off of 'off' and it will piddle fuel.

Maybe take the fuel line off the carb, mess with the position of the petcock to make sure it is really off when you haul it.

Vent lines...another good one.

I'm repeating for emphasis.

Maybe you are inadvertently moving the throttle? I'm not saying never move it...just know that you are if you are..and why you are.

Where's your AS? Try turning in 3/4 before you start it, back out after it's running. Do you do any prime kicks (no spark)? Try that if you don't. Choke it (choke stays up, right?), hold the kill switch, kick it a couple times then let the spark light'r up.

Good luck. Keep us posted?
Last edited by canyncarvr on 04:28 pm May 17 2005, edited 1 time in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

My starting routine is simple. Gas is off until I am getting ready to start it. Pull the choke up, turn out the kicker and varoom... she's running. One kicker 99.9% of the time.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No wonder you still have that oem hockey stick kicker on there. :wink:

Consider yourself fortunate.

Consider the source

Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Mine used to be the same way Vince. Up until the first time I took it out this year it worked just like yours. Now it has become difficult.

I'll try what's been listed above and report back.

Mark
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

It's this near sea-level air!! :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Nope - I live in Minnesota at about 1000'.

MArk
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

[hijack]I think he meant the sea-level air (hack--koff---gahggg) was a GOOD thing..and the ONLY reason Inda can get his bike started at ALL!

If I'm below 4000' it feels like I need gills instead of lungs![/hijack]

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The air is much better down here! :lol: A little THICK but the more space between me and the sun and smog the better!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Here's a tip:
Next time it doesn't even try to light off after 5 or 6 kicks, pull the wire at the plug and see if there's spark. You don't need to pull the plug, use a different one. This will tell you if the problem is electrical.
If the spare plug indicates you have fire, then squirt a little starter fluid into the air box. If the bike starts up, then a fuel problem would be indicated. Have the choke off and the throttle open in order to get the starter fluid fumes into the engine though.

If the bike won't start with the starter fluid and you have spark, then the motor is probably flooded from the first few kicks and the 20 or so that follow are drying it out. My bike hates to be transported with the fuel petcock left on. Make sure it is off.

Where are you Mark? If anywhere near Oregon, show up at CC's this weekend where the experts will be gathered. (Haw, Haw, HAW!!!!) We'll get that bugger runnin'!!!!

P.S. I was having some starting problems, not like yours, but still...... It was due to bad plug gapping. Be SURE your's is gapped right. Check it with two gauges to be sure the first gauge isn't messed up.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

OK, I just got home and went out to try the bike. I put the choke on, pulled the kick start into position and let her rip. First kick the sucker started like it always has until this year.

So, I'm thinking that this problem is somehow transporting related. I'll check it out one more time when I go riding either tomorrow (weather dependent) or this weekend. Put yer thinkin caps on cause if I was a bettin man, I'd bet the thing won't fire up after being hauled in the truck. Just to see, I'll start it up prior to putting it in the pick-up and see if it starts when we reach our destination.

I'm thinking maybe a new truck is in order. Maybe the bike is particular about what it is seen in - especially now that it has the new bling and all.

I spent quite a bit of time in the middle or Oregon many years ago - around the White City/Medford area. Fell in love with the area and would move there in a heartbeat if I could. Lucky CC. Enoy the ride this weekend. There wouldn't be any beer drinking involved now would there be? I'd hate that!!!

Mark
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Nah....Beer only makes bikes start harder.... :lol:

Let us know what you find. KDX's are notoriusly like Toro's...One or two cranks....Elevation makes a HUGE deal here. Our bikes start nice...even my plagued WR, but we can't climb 2000' much less 200' in a ride....So we go fast, and drink lots of beer... :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If it's transport related (and your new truck doesn't fix it), the petcock not being really 'off' still applies. Would be good still to check those vent lines.

There is some good riding in the area....for a little while longer. BLM is getting ready to essentially shut down most all of it. It is to become a 'managed' area (meaning...you can't ride there anymore). It will be a 'closed unless posted open' sort of thing. If you want to do any decent riding 'round here...better git to it!

Beer? I've heard the word before...never really been sure what it means.....

Consider the source

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I just got back from helping a friend start a street bike he recently bought. It only had 6K miles on it but had been parked for 4 years. I took CC's advice and checked the vent lines. One was pinched. I pulled it off and the bike started just fine.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Indawoods wrote:Secondly... check your vent lines to see if they are clogged .... very common problem.

Indawoods
CC? ..... Ohkay... :roll:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Inda, your mention was the first. That doesn't count. Only the most recent mention gets credit. CC's comment, "Would be good still to check those vent lines." is the last mention of the lines so he gets the credit. HaW!

Besides, read my sig line. That's a disclaimer. I can not be held accountable for anything I say (or give credit to). You should be glad I didn't take the credit for myself. I've been known to do that too.
:rolleyes: :oops: :wink:
Jerry

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****