Oil spooge from exhaust

Got questions? We got answers....
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
tbirdsp wrote:I think I have something above the exhaust outlet leaking too, maybe the "center valve cover"? Does that cover have pressurized exhaust behind it?
Exhaust gasses do get IN there...that's why it gets gunky, but it's not at the pressure the pipe or resonator is running.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tbirdsp

Post by tbirdsp »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
tbirdsp wrote:I think I have something above the exhaust outlet leaking too, maybe the "center valve cover"? Does that cover have pressurized exhaust behind it?
Exhaust gasses do get IN there...that's why it gets gunky, but it's not at the pressure the pipe or resonator is running.
:evil: :mad: :evil: :mad: :evil:

Well this just gets better - I cleaned off a bunch of gunk and got an 8 mm wrench on the lower left bolt that holds the center valve cover on. As soon as I touched it I saw it move - OK, so it was loose, maybe why I saw spooge leakeage in the area. I started to snug it up - just started to tighten and then it got loose again. :roll: So the bolt hole is stripped. I'm 99.9% sure I didn't do it. I can't see any way to get at it without pulling the f!@$#ng engine.

I was planning on racing my first enduro tomorrow too :sad:
Last edited by tbirdsp on 01:48 am Oct 04 2009, edited 1 time in total.
Mike S.
'98 KDX200
'07 KLX250S
'06 KLR650
'93 ST1100
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

You will be lucky if the bolt is stripped. I'd bet it's the hole in the cylinder that's the problem.

So, fix it!

Tap it to the next size, or get one'a those self-tapping screws.

If this was a cylinder stud for the head that stripped, that would be worrisome. The KIPS cover is under no combustion stress, it doesn't hold anything together (like a rod cap bolt in an automotive engine).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
tbirdsp

Post by tbirdsp »

Yeah, I meant to say the hole is stripped. Steel bolt and aluminum hole (as you know).
My plan is to either tap it up a size or I might even helicoil it. Just pissed I probably have to pull the engine to do it.
Mike S.
'98 KDX200
'07 KLX250S
'06 KLR650
'93 ST1100