KIPS noise?

Got questions? We got answers....
john castaldi

KIPS noise?

Post by john castaldi »

everyone is talking about it, but not sure if I got it......

03 200 H9, everything new - crank, cylinder, pro-x piston, crank brgs, everything. Sounds like a piston knock, mostly idle. Not the clutch, I know that sound. Runs awesome!

So what does this famous KIPS rattle sound like, and what exactluy inside is rattling? What can I remove, hold, or whatever to make it stop so I can test the theory? (can I take the valves out and run the engine to see if the noise goes away?)

thanx
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Re: KIPS noise?

Post by kdxquebec »

>|<>QBB<
john castaldi wrote:
So what does this famous KIPS rattle sound like
what sound do you hear?
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.
john castaldi

Re: KIPS noise?

Post by john castaldi »

>|<>QBB<
john castaldi wrote:03 200 H9, everything new - crank, cylinder, pro-x piston, crank brgs, everything. Sounds like a piston knock, mostly idle. Not the clutch, I know that sound. Runs awesome!

thanx
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The KIPS sounds like a rattle... but when the clutch pulled in, it starts to sound more like a knock on mine.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
john castaldi

Post by john castaldi »

there is noise in teh primary gear, I know that one (some call it clutch noise) but this sounds like a wrist pin or piston slap.... but I've ruled both of them out.
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Mine has always been kind of "Knocky" sounding.
I don't worry about it anymore.

Exhaust leaks can make strange noises.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kaptiankent

Post by kaptiankent »

On my bike, an 05 220 I started to notice a rattle or knocking sound coming from the clutch side. I have had my bike for a few years now and it has been getting louder as time goes on.

The tone of the rattle changes when you pull the clutch in.

So I decided to pull the clutch cover and have a look.
What I noticed was the assembly that has the bearing and the pin that pushes the clutch in has a fair amount of side play. And this would account for the change in the rattle tone when the clutch is pulled in, since there is pressure on it when the clutch is in. The bearing was still tight and not worn.

Just to see if it was that I removed the end assembly and put the cover back on and started the bike. The loud rattle was gone. I could still hear the kips noise but it's quiet compared to the clutch bearing rattle.

I think its just the loose fit of these parts that causes most of the rattle and knocking noises.

Anyone else notice this on their bike?
kevfort19

Post by kevfort19 »

yeah me it's the same thing, it'S a bearing in the clutch side. when i pulled in the clutch the sound stop, the engine ran like a clock:P
KDX 220 2001 =)

Don'T drink and drive...just give some gas and fly :D