Sunstar z-sprockets

Post by JD »

Anybody try the new Z-sprockets yet?

http://www.sudco.com/sprocket.html
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Not personally...but, my boss has been running one on his KX5 for 2 years. It's held up really well.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's different... but not much of a choice! :?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

I replaced a sunstar 49 tooth 7075 T6 aluminium with a gold Renthal one (which I'm told won't last very long at all). The sunstar was still very useable but was starting to show some wear after about 12 months of use (probably could have got another 12 months out of it). Keep in mind that mine is different to the link you provided. Cheers Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I tried SunStar once. Wasn't exactly thrilled with it.

But then...they don't know how many teeth my sprocket is supposed to have, so what should I expect from 'em? ;)

What? It comes with 1/2 the teeth missing already? That's a good thing? If they have the strength of steel but the weight of aluminum..what are they? Well, steel they say. Soooo.....just how thin IS it??

In answer to your question though...no. Not me. Not likely to, either.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JD

Post by JD »

My curiosity has gotten the best of me. I just had to order one. Worst case I'm out $30. Hopefully not out $30 in the middle of the woods with a busted sprocket and darkness approaching... :shock:

Product review to follow...
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

CC... it appears to be thinner and the teeth are offset to hold it in place and clean it... sounds logical... real world? I guess JD will let us know!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

JD wrote:My curiosity has gotten the best of me. I just had to order one. Worst case I'm out $30. Hopefully not out $30 in the middle of the woods with a busted sprocket and darkness approaching... :shock:

Product review to follow...
Did I say above that my boss has one on his KX500. :? It's been on for 2 years (about 12 rear tires worth of time :shock: ). I had no objection to it's performance. I choose not to put one on my KDX because I didn't like the way it looked. Silly, I know...but, I can be finnicky sometimes. :wink: I put on a JT steel sprocket because it looked cooler. :cool:

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

2yrs on a 5hunsky is a pretty good test for a sprocket...Thx for the info. I've personally never tried a alum sprocket as that's the last place I've been concerned about shaving weight. Actually, I've really never been concerned about shaving weight at all, except off my body...LOL!
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

I've personally never tried a alum sprocket as that's the last place I've been concerned about shaving weight. Actually, I've really never been concerned about shaving weight at all, except off my body...LOL!

Ha Ha Ha. So true for a great many of us...including my self. :mrgreen:

Speaking of Alum sprockets and weight and funny: I find it funny the sheer number of riders who come in to get a chain a sprocket set and balk when asked...steel or aluminum. They say something like: "Steel is too heavy, give me an aluminum one" and then they want to put on a Maxxis IT, which weighs 3 to 5 pounds more than any other tire. :roll: Happens at least once per week. Maybe you just have to be there? :lol:

Later
Robb
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
JD

Post by JD »

OK, the sprocket came in. It looks just like a tablesaw blade! It is considerably thinner than a standard sprocket which should aid in mud evacuation when ridding through the slop.

I might have to agree with Robb about the looks of the thing... a bit weird. But I haven't mounted it up yet, will do that tomorrow morning and then go torture it on the trails.
'04 200
JD

Post by JD »

Posted a couple pics in the gallery.
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I like the looks of it... looks mean! :twisted:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Sweet JD. :supz: Looks way better on your KDX than the KX500. :mrgreen: I may have to run one when it's time for a new chain and sprocket set.
Robb
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keep us updated on wear and bind... does the offset teeth hit the same spot on the chain on every revolution or does it alternate like I imagine it...?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

JD

Post by JD »

Keep us updated on wear and bind... does the offset teeth hit the same spot on the chain on every revolution or does it alternate like I imagine it...?
Good question, I went and checked. It alternates every 3 revolutions - watching the master link the sprocket would be hitting the outside for 3 complete revolutions, then the inside for 3. That is with the stock 13/47 gearing and 108 link chain.
'04 200
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Thanks for checking JD... sounds like a nice setup!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Just talked to a local dealer (and rider..both X&R) about 'em...saw a stack of them in his shop.

He said they outwear anything!

At <$40 it sounds like something to try 'next time.'

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
JD

Post by JD »

450 muddy miles and it's holding up fine. So is the RK X-Ring.
'04 200