Autoclutch - What to do with the clutch rod?

Got questions? We got answers....
sean-svm

Autoclutch - What to do with the clutch rod?

Post by sean-svm »

To those with an autoclutch setup, what did you do with your clutch rod/arm that is in the cover. I was thinking about tapping the hole for a 14mm drain plug but am not sure if I can find a seal for the top and if this would keep oil in. I also thought about leaving the rod it in place and securing it somehow but I'm a little worried that with out the stock throwout bearing it may pop out. And ideas from those that have done something here would be great. Thanks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

If he doesn't reply...ask skipro. He rigged up some kind'a cork or whittled a piece of wood that fit...or sumthin. Or...was it a lime rind out of his last marguerita?

:hmm:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

Why not JB Weld it?
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I have an EFM autoclutch in my bike and if you send the cover with all the clutch components to Garry at EFM, he will tap it and put a stainless threaded allen head plug in it. EFM and Revloc are the only mfg's that make an autoclutch for the KDX to my knowledge.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

I ended up threading and plugging the hole with a 14mm drain plug and some hi-temp silicone. Thanks for the input. On a side note, has anyone been able to install a left hand brake and still keep the foot pedal. I tried installing mine by using a double banjo at the rear master cylinder but couldn't make it work.
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

I came across a thread on KTMTalk about a setup for this dual brake, but can't find it. It requires a special master cylinder.

A lot of guy there that have switched to all hand brakes just use a hydraulic clutch master cylinder. Supposedly the o-rings or something in it won't survive brake fluid but there were guys there that had been running this set up for years with no problems. It would definately be cheaper to buy a used KTM hyd clutch master than buying the purpose build LHRB master.

One thing to keep in mind is the diameter of the piston. They come in 9mm, 9.5mm and 10mm (which is stamped on the bottom of the master). The 10mm is too big and won't work. You need the 9mm or 9.5mm for it to work porperly. Then all you need is to have a custom hose made.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:I came across a thread on KTMTalk about a setup for this dual brake, but can't find it. It requires a special master cylinder.
The 'special' part of the master cylinder is a punkin thing...punkins using mineral oil, not brake fluid, in their clutch setups. In that case, trying to use the existing clutch master won't work..and yes, brake fluid will eat something that is designed for only mineral oil.

The 'double banjo' will not work, indeed. That will not get the brakeline pressurized, as one MC piston will not be blocking return flow, so the second MC will see a 'leak'. The word 'master' means something.

You cannot serve two masters...and two masters cannot run one slave. Not without a two-way check. I don't know if such a flow control is made. Probably somewhere.......

Yep. Rekluse makes 'em. NOT CHEEP!

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:>|<>QBB<
jc7622 wrote:I came across a thread on KTMTalk about a setup for this dual brake, but can't find it. It requires a special master cylinder.
The 'special' part of the master cylinder is a punkin thing...punkins using mineral oil, not brake fluid, in their clutch setups. In that case, trying to use the existing clutch master won't work..and yes, brake fluid will eat something that is designed for only mineral oil.

The 'double banjo' will not work, indeed. That will not get the brakeline pressurized, as one MC piston will not be blocking return flow, so the second MC will see a 'leak'. The word 'master' means something.

You cannot serve two masters...and two masters cannot run one slave. Not without a two-way check. I don't know if such a flow control is made. Probably somewhere.......

Yep. Rekluse makes 'em. NOT CHEEP!

Once again you are wise beyond your years (and that's pretty damn wise) about the KTM hyd master using mineral oil and it not being compatible with brake fluid. My point on the post was that some people have been using the hyd master with brake fluid anyway and have been getting a few years use out if it before they have to replace the o-rings. You wouldn't think this woul dbe the case, but evidently it has been working. And knowing how crappy the KTM brake master cylinders are I guess that is pretty good. If you have to pay full price for a hyd clutch master then I would agree that yo are better off getting the correct brake fluid part, but if you come across the mineral oil version used and a cheap price it may be worth it to go ahead and give it a try and see how many miles you get out the the mineral oil o-rings.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I wouldn't expect the KTM mineral clutch MCs to have the needed power multiplication OR the volume necessary to successfully use a back brake..they are tiny littly buggers.

The fact that some halloween riders find it useable doesn't come with any assurance to me that it in fact works. I mean...look at what they're riding! Having made that choice..why would anyone think any other choice made would be better? :hmm:

I have read of some guy that sells DOT fluid re-fit Magura looking MCs. I guess that's for those that don't want to damage the aesthetic look of their squash product with the liddle biddy MC on the left of the hannelbar.

Consider the source

sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

I guess that I will just have to run a line from the LHB to the rear caliper. I bought a auto-clutch from Revloc as well as a Magura DOT4 master cylinder. I will just have to wait until the winter if I want to have Revloc modify the stock rear master cylinder so I can have a hand and foot brake. The Revloc by the way works very well. I didn't have a chance to practice with it at all. Installed it on a Thursday and raced on Sunday and I was very pleased with it.
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

How much was the Revloc? I was just curious if it is about the same for the efm autoclutch. I have the efm and am very pleased with it. To bad Rekluse doesn't make one for the most popular woods bike ever.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.
sean-svm

Post by sean-svm »

It retails for just under $600 and there is a $150 refundable core charge when you send back the OEM clutch basket with the gears attached.