flywheel questions

Got questions? We got answers....
jjnjd02

flywheel questions

Post by jjnjd02 »

will a flywheel on a 87 kdx 200 fit or work on a 83 kdx 200 if so what is involved will timing need to be changed?
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Check the PNs with an online source.

I realize that isn't likely what you're asking..but a good thing to check anyway.

I did. They are not the same PN. '87 is 21007-1145, '83 is 21007-1064.

Not always true, but the drawings themselves do sometimes shed some light on 'stuff'..and the two drawings of the stator are considerably different as far as the coil mounting positions. THAT being so, even if the mechanical fit was the same, there is no way you would swap the two because the timing would be very much different.

You asked about timing differences.

You have a plan on changing that?

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jjnjd02

Post by jjnjd02 »

no i was told by someone at frp that they would be the same but i wanted to get a 2nd opinion
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Someone at FRP? As in Jeff Fredette? He's the only "someone" who has responded to any of my inquiries. At any rate, if Jeff told you it will work, chances are good that it will. He knows these machines very well.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
juliend wrote:Someone at FRP? As in Jeff Fredette? He's the only "someone" who has responded to any of my inquiries. At any rate, if Jeff told you it will work, chances are good that it will. He knows these machines very well.
Perfectly said.

'Chances are good...' indeed.

Is FRP selling you the rotor? If so...no worries. If it don't work, send it back.

I did notice that the two woodruff keys are the same PN! :wink: There's some comfort for 'ya!

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. I did indeed say "chances". So if it don't work you can't blame me for it! CC was good enough to check the pics and part numbers. Normally those results be a pretty good indication you may run into trouble. Sure would be nice to have someone tell you for sure, huh? Unfortunately you may not find someone else who tried to install an 87 kdx flywheel on an 83 model.....
jjnjd02

Post by jjnjd02 »

yeah athts my problem not a lot of people with 83s i called frp and whoever it was that answered the phone said it would work but they dont have them so i found one on ebay im getting it for 26 bucks so even if not mabey i can use the magnets lol.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: '..mabey i can use the magnets lol.'

Is that the issue? Your rotor is damaged or suspect, thus the replacement question?

If you have the original it will be easy to determine if the magnets are oriented similarly on both.

I've read of some riders that have re-attached magnets that had come loose on flywheels, but don't recall anyone actually replacing/moving magnets from one FW to another.

That would seem to be a real touchy situation..spark timing being derived from magnet position (the coil staying in the same place).

Good luck. Let us know how it turns out!!

Something to consider...maybe...

Don't know what the status of parts is but it would be a good idea to get SOME clue as to what the current timing is. If the bike runs, use a timing light to mark the case relative to a mark already on the rotor. If the replacement rotor runs the bike you will be able to compare the two.

Even if the bike doesn't run you might be able to determine a relative timing mark if the coil fires at all...even if the timing is off. Probably would take some extra hands...and feet. One person to kick, one to run the light. Kick it with the plug out (ground the shell to make it spark) to get more revolutions than kicking against compression would get you.

Consider the source

jjnjd02

Post by jjnjd02 »

no the bike dont run at all in fact it has no spark at all the one from the 87 looks like the magnets are a lot thicker so i dont think it will work on the 83 which sucks because i cant find a flywheel anywhere if anybody has any suggestions please let me know i dont want to have to buy another bike just because the flywheel magnets are broken the rest of the bike is in excellent condition
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Stick with what fredette said, and go with him....Like CC said, he'll make it right otherwise. Often parts are different, but 'fit' the same....As in one might be an upgrade where fitment never changed. IE 67 chevy 327 heads are better than 57 327 heads, but they both fit :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

I understand it's already known...it won't fit.

Is that correct?

Re: '..the one from the 87 looks like the magnets are a lot thicker so i dont think it will work on the 83 ...'

You have the '87..and you know it doesn't fit on the '83? You've tried it, or measured enough to KNOW it doesn't fit?

We know the part numbers are different. Probably safe to assume that makes them different. If that makes FRP wrong...and makes me right...do I win a ham or something? :roll: I know I know...maybe a fruitcake!!!

...I thought I won a kewpie doll once..but that didn't pan out. :cry:

The elephant in the middle of the room (the question begging to be asked) is, why do you suspect the rotor? You know the exciter coil is good? The spark box is good? The coil is good?

Say clearly...the flywheel magnets are broken on your bike..is that correct? Are they broken..or just loose/off?

I've been looking.... This might be of note:
ADVRider wrote:For your '86 you can use the rotor/flywheel from a '86-'88. The '83-'85 part number was 21007-1064 while the '86-'88 is part number 21007-1145.
OK...see how this works?

I looked for a rotor for an '83. Found none. Well...from Europe..for 462 Euro. Ouch!!

But...knowing that '83-'85 are the same...I FOUND the part on BikeBandit:

http://www.bikebandit.com/search-produc ... r=kawasaki

$435.

Of course...that BB lists it, allows you to add it to your 'cart', I don't suppose means they absolutely DO actually HAVE it.

I called Bill's Cycle Salvage, a local salvage outfit. I think it's the largest motorcycle salvage yard in the western US. He doesn't have one. He DID say, 'Yeah..the magnets break in those all the time....' I asked if he knew of anyone that replacec those, he said, 'No.'

I thought RickyStator did at one time. Bill's said........'No.'

Got $435?

Consider the source

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Isn't there something about using a tecate flywheel on those old KDX's? I'm sure I read something similar, since it is indeed quite common for those magnets to break, being unshielded and all. And as you have seen, those flywheels are quite difficult to track down in one piece.

CC, I am shocked that you have not received your kewpie doll! Travesty....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Could the OP replace the flywheel and the stator plate, together, from a different year?
In fact, I'd try a flywheel, stator plate, CDI, and coil. All from the same year. This is assuming the flywheel will go on the crank and the stator plate will bolt up where it needs to.

We are just trying to get a good spark at the right time from a rotating shaft. How hard can that be? :wink:

I guess I don't know what I'm talking about. I've never pulled a KDX flywheeel. I don't recall ever taking the KDX flywheel cover off, for that matter...............
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
jjnjd02

Post by jjnjd02 »

yes the magnets are broken into peices in the flywheel i was told by a friend that frp makes a conversion to use the 95 and newer flywheels so im going to look into that but no i dont have 435 bucks
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Take a look at THIS!

Worth a call to RickyStator.

Don't know if FRP still makes the relocate kits. They USED to. Easy enough to ask 'em about it. But...they told you the '87 flywheel would fit, didn't they? Maybe they meant, 'It wil fit...when you buy our $200 stator kit to go with it!'

There's an answer out there. Get it!

Oh...the Tecate ('88) rotor is PN 21007-1156.

Consider the source