DRC LED "EDGE" TAIL & PLATE LIGHT, ADVICE PLEA

Got questions? We got answers....
gertie6car

DRC LED "EDGE" TAIL & PLATE LIGHT, ADVICE PLEA

Post by gertie6car »

Hi Guys,

can anyone give me some advice on whether or not I can wire the DRC Edge unit straight in to the KDX 200 E2 power supply?

I am having real fun here trying to sort out a licence plate light - standard kdx tail/brake light passes the vehicle inspection but not for use on highway.

I know power is limited so thought LED's the way to go but not sure if it is compatible or what else I would need to do to get it to work off the power system on the bike. Any help would be appreciated.

Cheers Gert
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Keep in mind that you are on a AC system.... That stops allot of options.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Thanks Indawoods, anyone got any ideas how to rig a licence plate light from the existing set up? Is it possible? without one in the uk the cops can stop you and give you a ticket.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Install a battery, and use the AC to charge it would be the way I'd do it. Never gave it much thought.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Although the power at the stator is AC - through the magic of a rectifier it is converted to DC power.

I believe LED lights would work - HID lights would require a different set-up.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Those bulbs don't care if it's AC or DC... other sensitive electronics do though...

HID won't work... at least during my extensive trials...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dubtruker

Post by dubtruker »

I put a Baja Designs Regulator rectifier on mine and floated the ground. That way it charges and maintains a small 3500 mah battery stuffed in the airbox. I run a DRC edge glued with Automotive Goop to the bottom of a Maier MX fender with the plate Zip tied to the subframe. I have a UFO Ghibli DOT light because it looks exactly like the OEM one but it takes a H4 and got a great beam for street, the low beam is now HID with a small halogen for high beam and an LED in the running light spot. That way if a cop wants to see all my beams I have it all to show him. During the day I run on the LED in the headlight and during this it charges the battery for a whole night of riding around the city/trails where we do about 70-100kms. My signals are all LED as well to reduce drain. I am sure when I finally get around to installing Inda's 100watt lighting coil I will never need to turn off my HID.
Mine's on the right!
http://www.pbase.com/chia/image/116559972
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Regarding ..."Those bulbs don't care if it's AC or DC... other sensitive electronics do though..."

I would argue different on the first half of that statement. The purpose of the regulator/rectifier is to well - regulate the voltage to ~12V: and rectify the AC stator generated voltage to DC voltage, so the lights will work.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

There is no rectifier on a KDX.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Ok Inda - took a look in the maintenance manual and did not see rectifier: MAYBE I AM NOT AS SMART AS I THOUGHT!! :sad: :sad:

You sure that is not a combination regulator/rectifier which Kawaski just references as a regulator?

So your saying if I measure the voltage at the light I will be reading a AC voltage regulated to ~ 12-14Volts?

I am not saying that your wrong - after all you apparently made many people happy with your higher output stator upgrade and have studied and worked with the KDX system which I have not:. But being one of those engineering types and I am so use to seeing a rectified output I can not think of how it could work otherwise. (diodes or rectifier - how else could this possibly work??? Question to myself) :partyman: :roll: :cry:
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes... that's what I am saying. I have had fits working on a HID system because of the lack of a rectifier. I added one and you have to float the ground. The rectifier is dragging it down too much to make a HID system work properly. At least in my experiments...

So, there is no rectifier stock.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

Heck, my 89 didn't even come equipped with a regulator. I just recently discovered that...
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Ok just got back from a trip and have read all the responses! thanks guys! much appreciated!

Can I just confirm the standard KDX regulated set up is 12/14 v ac? Electrics were never my strong point!!

Cheers
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yes....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

great! DRC EDGE works off 12v ac or dc so I am good to go! cheers for the quick response!
gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

Nothing is ever simple!

So I have got an edge 2 light with plate mounting etc, took off the standard set up and wired in the new and can only get the tail lamp and licence plate light to illuminate!

I have checked the wiring several times, there are only three wires so it is real difficult to get it wrong!

If I reconnect the standard light it works fine with both tail and stop light working and I have to say much brighter than the LED set up which is much lower output and flickers with revs.

When I reconnect to the DRC unit I only get tail and plate, not even a flicker when the brake is depressed! Interestingly if you take the tail light feed and connect it to the brake light it works fine.

Connecting a 12v battery to the DRC unit is interesting! First thing is all circuits work, plate/tail/brake. All are very bright, don't flicker (DC supply I guess) and are much brighter (at least as bright as the standard bulb set up - if not slightly brighter) compared to using the standard KDX power supply.

I have read LED's are brighter than conventional bulbs and offer lower current draw. Anyone got any ideas why the LED stop lamp does not illuminate but the standard item does?

I would revert to the standard set up but I need a licence plate light if I am to keep the cops sweet! I am both disappointed and stumped! I have not found a tech support number for DRC -yet so if any of you guys can help please do!!!!

The only way I can see to make this work is to add a battery to supply the DRC unit and leave the standard output to power ignition and front light. I really dont want to have to do this if I can avoid it!

Cheers

Gert
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That makes no sense... if the switch is passing current when engaged... it should illuminate. It has no choice.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

gertie6car

Post by gertie6car »

I agree but it is as I say there are only three wires to swap, if I change the feed from the tail light to the stop it illuminates but the brake circuit is dead - until I put the standard set up back on when tail and stop work immediately! I am stumped!!
SS109
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by SS109 »

Curious, try this, please.

Take the two wires you are getting to work for the tail/LP light and reverse them. In other words, take the negative and switch it to positive and positive to negative and see if that fixes things.
Youtube Channel: WildAzzRacing
AZ State Parks & Trails OHV Ambassador - Trail Riders of Southern AZ
Current KDX: '98 KDX220
Old KDX: '90 KDX200 -White/Blue
'11 GasGas EC250R
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi Mate the rear brake light on the KDX works through a resistor so that the one filiment bulb can do tail and brake you might find that that will play up when you fit a LED in the system.
I think that the out put from the coil is around 40watts if the main light bulb is 25Watts you a have a bit left over to run a number plate light, but you will need to take the feed from a live from the side light.If your in the UK you need to fit one of these as well.
Jono
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.