Power band

Got questions? We got answers....
Chopper55

Power band

Post by Chopper55 »

I just bought an 06 KDX and took it for a spin today but there seems to be no power band - just an even spread of power through the rev range. My old 96 used to have a markable powerband. Can anybody help. It still hase the original header pipe.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Sounds like a stuck KIPS. Have a manual?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Chopper55

Post by Chopper55 »

Nope, what do I do? Is it hard to fix?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You have to take the topend off.... There is an online manual at the top of the page....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

An '06 what?

The 220 is more linear than the 200 is, both of them can be REAL smooth if they're jetted specifically to do that. ..not that anyone every WANTS that.

Take off the slotted cover on the LH side of the cylinder. Blip the throttle (KIPS engages at about 6000RPM), you should see the main shaft move.

If it doesn't...it's (the KIPS) broke.

And the WAY it's broke can become VERY spendy if it's not fixed ASAP. 'Very' meaning blowing the cases apart and leaving bits of engine/transmission on the ground.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Jeb
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Jeb »

If it's an '06 it's a 200 . . . I know because I was recently at a bike shop, noticed a brand new '06 200 and was drawn to it for a look see. Fond memories.

But a sales type walked up and started talking it up, left over 200 as it turns out. And when I asked him the last 220 he saw he remarked that it had been a while and that '05 was the last year of the kingly 220.

Nice lookin' bike that 200, even if it was the lesser of the brethren.
"No farmer ever plowed a field by turning it over in his mind" -George E. Woodbury

CLICK FOR PICS!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'If it's an '06 it's a 200...'

Ooops. You are correct, of course. I didn't take into account they stopped making the 'wanna-be' bike of the pair earlier.

:wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Yeah... it was a flop CC.... :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****