Bike Setup

Got questions? We got answers....
runninn

Bike Setup

Post by runninn »

OK...lets see how sharp you guys are...
What setup would you use for a Midsouth practice bike (hare scrambles/GNCC) 99 KDX200?
Specifics :
Rider : Senior B 145 lbs , 5' 11"
Bark busters or ???
Sag..rearend?
Front susp setup?
Brake pad type (Mud)?
Amsoil Dominator 40:1? Br fluid rcmd?
Pipe...it has a pro circuit with a LOUD pro circuit silencer...I am switching back to the stock muffler (Read:Quiet). I can't remember the type of pipe...but I'll check...
One more...I have to run a Scotts stabilizer on my KTM (headshake), but can't remember the need on my prior KDX's...its been 15 years....
Other ? Thanks
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Bark busters for sure
~ 3-3/4 sag, adjust on the trail to get the right fore/aft "attitude"
KX forks are well worth it. Some say the OEM can be made to work just fine.
OEM brake pads for me
The oils are up to you
I think the OEM silencer is good.

I've never used a steering stabilizer. I bet if you're suspension and geometry are spot on, you won't need one. Others know more than me, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

I put a Scotts on mine after getting deflected into a boulder at a pretty good clip. I figured the money was worth it to possibly prevent the aggrevation of more broken ribs in the future. An unexpected benefit was that I don't have to grip the bars very tight, so I'm less tired.

I also think the USD forks are well worth it, but mine are '03's, and I lost a good amount of turning radius, which I'm not happy about. Maybe going to an earlier year with skinnier tubes would help that.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

How did you lose turning radius?
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

The bigger fork tubes hit the tank before the steering stop would make contact, so I had to build up the stop to prevent that. Also, in the instructions for the Scotts stabilizer they warn you not to let the stabilizer act like a stop, or it'll get screwed up. When I first put it on after the fork swap it did seem to be stopping the travel. not so after I modified the stop.

Vince as I recall you have '03 forks as well, you didn't run into this? Did you use '03 KX triples? Mine is an '03 KX lower, and a Scotts upper.
Mike

'04 KDX220
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

That's what I was wondering.... I used all KX clamps... no aftermarket. My tank acts as a bumper but I can get full radius out of it and the Scotts is not dimed either.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My stops are not very big. I added some 1/8" thick aluminum bar stock, basically bent around the existing tab. It also seemed that the turning radius was noticably bigger even with the original stop and the fork bumped against the tank and no Scotts installed. I just figured it was due to different geometry in the tripples, but maybe I need to rethunk it.

I'll see if I can measure the circle the bike makes and you can see what I'm talking about.
Mike

'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

OK...lets see how sharp you guys are...
What setup would you use for a Midsouth practice bike (hare scrambles/GNCC) 99 KDX200?
Specifics :
Rider : Senior B 145 lbs , 5' 11"
*Bark busters or ???

Always.

*Sag..rearend?

100mm

*Front susp setup?

XR springs for weight (or any hotwound .36/.38s, 520mm), 3-5mm preload. Take about 1/2 the 24mm face shims out of the BV.

*Brake pad type (Mud)?

Your choice. I prefer OEM pads..'assembly's complete with backing pads and iso-tabs.

*Amsoil Dominator 40:1?

Overkill. Nothing wrong with Interceptor.

*Br fluid rcmd?

As long as it's new..who cares? Replace brake fluid at least annually.

*Pipe...it has a pro circuit with a LOUD pro circuit silencer...I am switching back to the stock muffler (Read:Quiet). I can't remember the type of pipe...but I'll check...

Stock arrester is fine. Heavy, but quiet and there is little gain from A/M.

*One more...I have to run a Scotts stabilizer on my KTM (headshake), but can't remember the need on my prior KDX's...its been 15 years....

KDXs don't have headshake problems.....generally. I've known of one that did..couldn't ever get rid of it. Stabilizers do far more than prevent headshake. A good one will save your bacon sooner or later.

*Other ? Thanks

Nothing you asked has anything to do with 'sharp'. Most of it is personal preference (including sag numbers).

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!