Can the bike make you faster?

Got questions? We got answers....
firffighter
Supporting Member

Can the bike make you faster?

Post by firffighter »

This got brought up on another portion of the site and I thought I would bring this up for everyone's input.

I bring this up because I just did a 50 mile ride with my cousin who rides a nice little XR250. We did all woods, 2nd-3rd gear stuff with tons of twisty, rocky, rooted, up and down terrain. My cousin has much less experience than myself, but is a solid rider. I noticed that he was always right on my tail all day and over the past several years that has been the case, him on the XR250, my brother and I who have way more experience on our KDX's.

Anyway, we switched bikes for a while (5 miles or so) and the 1st thing I noticed is how easy his bike is to ride. Now, I have ridden XR's before and have a dualsported XR400 in the garage right now. You can literally leave the thing in 3rd gear all day and use your throttle for braking. I found I could probably go just as "fast" on his bike as my KDX and maybe be less tired at the end of the day.

So, then is the KDX a superior bike to something like an XR or TTR or ?
Or is it that we ride the green machine because it is just more fun?

Jon Penton always says that even the best rider can not use a 125 to its fullest.

Jeff Fredette said his lap times on the KDX were the same on the KLX450 when it 1st came out.

Dwight Rudder (7 time ISDE dude) rides a modded CRF230 to wins.

What do you all think?
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It's all what you like... I said what I have to say in the other thread.... :mrgreen:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

I am not trying to argue either way, just thought it was a good discussion to have.

I too like the KDX for it's 4-stroke like characteristics, light weight and fun factor.
'
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

You forgot the Lazy-Boy seat! :razz:

I think you are getting hung up on "it's a 2 stroke and must be ridden this way"... I ride mine both ways... like the 2 stroke it is... and like a 4 stroke by leaving it in 3rd gear and using the throttle.... both work just fine on the KDX.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

I have a riding buddy who we are trying to get off the XR250 because we are constantly waiting for him to start his bike. I let him take my KDX for a spin and I rode the XR. What a slow tank! I am a more technical rider that he, and I could not catch him. The KDX was gone and I was in 5th or 6th and the suspension was getting shakey and I was getting nervous. "Give me back my KDX".

One thing I enjoy, that the XR can't do, is lifting the front wheel when I need to. I'd rather scoot a log or get less wet by being in a wheely.

The XR is a billy goat on the hills though; no wheel spin just plows right up.

So, to answer the question... I am faster on the KDX.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Suspension is king....CG would be a close 2nd. XR250/CRF230 has plenty of power for most...weight up top is the problem. KDX is better for this, and makes a good 10hp more maintaining one-of-a-kind torque for a modern powervalved, piped, reed 2-cycle. Stock KDX motor makes plenty of power which is why I always preach susp first on here. Biggest advantage of pipe/silencer is weight loss, but that's marginal.

My next KDX wish list:

H model 200
Stock exhaust (stealth!)
Showa Conventionals
Cammed throttle
RB Head/Carb
Big lighting coil
DF3 reed cage
Ohlins shock
Possible big bore down the line

In that order

Will keep this bike going until I retire from dirt. :shock:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I'm not sure what you're asking, actually.

I rode XR's for years. Nothing wrong with them, pretty good bikes.

When I first got a brand new KDX in 2003 I thought I had made a BIG mistake. The motor was weenie, the suspension sucked, and it did not handle worth squat.

I still found it "easier" to ride than the XR400 I was coming off of.

It took a lot of studying to get it working for me.

When I put KX forks on it, it took another major step forward.

I really think it is all up to the riders talent. I won't be any more talented on a different bike, but that different bike may suit my riding style better.

I ran an Enduro last year where a guy a couple of rows back brought his son on a '93 XR200. This kid seldom seldom rode but thought he'd run this Enduro just for the heck of it. This kid came FLYING by me in several sections, absolutely hammering on that XR200. I saw him after the race and asked how he did. He said he'd done fine but was a little tired! This was on a 60 mile/ 5 hour race!

I still think I want a GG 300, though. That will make me much faster. :lol:
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

One asset to the KDX is a drawback too, that is its short wheelbase. It is not much fun at high speeds and is a mother to hang on to in big whoops -and sweepers are a drag. Big rocks at speed will set you free. But it'll turn inside just about any other bike. Brake turns, square-offs are its forte. Once you get a decent USD fork setup it is mas bueno indeed. You can point and rail a line like few other bikes; and miss crap that they will more likely hit. It's all in using the bike's strengths to your advantage IMO.

Hey fuzzy, I've never had a rear shock issue....just getting the right spring makes it for me. The USD's made it a whole new experience, way beyond my expectations. :partyman:
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Just thought it was an interesting discussion to have since many of us seem to be in the same boat: middle aged + or - a decade, mostly "fast" :wink: trail riders with an occassionl race thrown in, love the simplicity of a good trail bike.

The advantage of the KDX is you can change lines quickly, it has smooth yet quick responding throttle response and puts power to the ground (great power delivery). If you are "on" you can rail on this bike and it can get you from point A to point B in a hurry.

A few disadvantages are light weight = defelection in the rocks, can keep you busy if you are riding it fast (braking, clutch, throttle) and no engine braking for corners and downhills.

In comparison an XR or other thumper for that matter is more stable, lets you shift much less, great torque climbing and the enging braking can be used to your benefit. The advantages of the thumper let you focus on the trail and less distractions with constant shifting and braking with the 2-stroke.

The disadvantages are weight, lacks ability to quickly change lines and slower responding on the throttle.

If I am riding a shorter ride that is technical, I like the KDX. It give you confidence to conquer difficult obstacles and the light weight lets you throw it around.

If I am on a longer ride with more flowing terrain, I like the XR (or other thumpers) because I can be lazy and let the bike do the work.

Just some thoughts, not trying to bash the KDX, I just like discussing the qualities of different bike (probably because I've owned so stinkin many of them)
'
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

never had a rear shock issue
That's why it's last :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project