UPGRADE 200 OR GET 220R

Got questions? We got answers....
victor
Supporting Member

UPGRADE 200 OR GET 220R

Post by victor »

Hey guys I purchased my first KDX (98 KDX200)a couple weeks ago and I think I am really going to like it! however I am on the fence about a couple things.
My friend just purchased a 99 KDX200 that was bored out to a 220 and the thing is scary fast! So here is my question - Should I bore my 200 out to a 220 or should I just look for a 220 and sell my 200? Whichever one I end up with i still plan on installing new reeds and piston.

I currently have a FMF Gnarly torque pipe on my 200, if I bore it out to a 220 will I have to get a new pipe. I read somewhere that the torque pipe is not recomended for the 220.

Victor
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A 200 will generally eat a 220 up! If you buy a 220... do not expect it to perform like your friends, because it will not.

Allot of factors at play here... carb size, porting, etc...

If you are looking for speed... you chose the wrong bike to begin with... I suggest you sell it and buy a KX250... then see how fast your buddies 220 is.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

Ride it until you're held back by your equipment, then decide. Most would probably advise you to work on the suspension first, anyway.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

A 200 bored to 220 is not at all the same thing as what starts out as a 220. The cylinders differ in more ways than the bore size..the port configuration is completely different.

Also, the 200 comes with a 35mm carb..the 220 a 33mm carb.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

if I bore it out to a 220 will I have to get a new pipe
Preference. The 200 bored out will still want to rev out better than a stock 220 so the torque pipe may be great on it. Boring is expensive due to need to replate cylinder....Most would only due this once wear warranted a replate(in which you just throw in the bore job), or if their cyl got damaged. Best bang for the buck in the motor department will be in head mods, reed cage, and carb mods....(IMO, in that order). Search RB Head and RB Carb on here. As far as non-motor, I'm big on 'suspension first' because you can't go anywhere if you can't put it to the ground. Tight terrain...stock kdx w/ trick suspension VS trick motor w/ stock suspension = no contest, the better handling bike will prevail. :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

It's a funny question. :hmm: Seems pretty troll-like don'tcha think?

Consider the source

victor
Supporting Member

Post by victor »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:It's a funny question. :hmm: Seems pretty troll-like don'tcha think?
I am sorry if am ofending anyone. I am just trying to make an educated decision. I figured the people on this forum really know there stuff.

thank you for everybody's responses. I am definately going to do the big bore kit on my 1998

thanks
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Keep in mind the head needs cut/etc, and should be done by someone repuatable.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

No offense taken...and none given, either. Just a tad odd, is all.

A definition of 'troll' may be in order:
A troll is someone who posts controversial, inflammatory, irrelevant or off-topic messages in an online community, such as an online discussion forum, chat room or blog, with the primary intent of provoking other users into an emotional or disciplinary response or of otherwise disrupting normal on-topic discussion
The differences between the 200/220 are well known..and I would think that anyone in the market for one or the other would know about those differences, let alone anyone that had bought one of 'em. A first thread of a new poster evidently unaware of the basic design differences is reason enough to wonder.

Might as well say, 'I'm new to KDXs, and really like 'em a lot...but...where can I get a yellow one?'

Or, howabout, 'I love my new KTM! When I visit Japan this fall, I'm going to tour their factory.'

Good luck on either one'a those.

Frankly..you have some learnin' to do...and this site is the best for getting answers to any question you have about your KDX. Most riders on this board have been riding for years..and a whole lot of 'em have owned/ridden quite a number of different makes/models..and prefer the KDX for single-track, woods riding. It's not the best of everything ever, but it does an excellent job in the type of riding it was made for. There are quite a number of tweaks and modifications that will keep you running with anyone else in the woods...as long as your bike's rider isn't the limiting factor. :wink:

How's your jetting?
Have you set the shock sag?
Is the resultant free sag correct?
Changed fork oil?
Installed fork springs to suit?
Set fork spring preload to something useful?
Adjusted your clickers?

I'll bet not. There's a whole lot more to making a bike run than making its displacement bigger.

Consider the source

firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Well put CC!

Now, where can I get yellow plastic for my KDX, that would look sick. And do they make sweet Metal Mulisha graphics for it too :lol:
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Yellow plastics...green frame.

yippee!

Consider the source

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I've been looking for an MX style rear fender and can't find one anywhere!

I personally would not be in too much of a hurry to bore anything, KDX motor wise.

Victor-

I suspect if your buddies KDX runs "scary fast" it is probably running right and yours isn't.

I spent $$ on a head rework job and a carb modification only to find that my silencer was plugging up! If I had been on top of things when it comes to maintenance and tuning I may not have thought the head and carb work necessary. Good thing I never thought about boring the cylinder, Eh?
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Here's a rule of thumb for 'ya: Believe nothing of what you hear..and half of what you see.

Boring a 200 to a 220 is odd. Not saying no one ever does it, it's just odd. Eric Gorr (you know who that is, victor?) overbores 200s...to 225.

There is a WHOLE lot more to 'overboring' a bike than simply making the piston hole bigger. When any standard bore is oversized (2Ts), the ports change..their size, their angles, their timing... it all changes. What happened to the head? You cannot increase a boresize and NOT change the head...and by 'change' I don't mean only its diameter to match the new boresize.

Curious, what is it you think might happen if the head was NOT reconfigured? I'm looking for an answer having to do with compression ratio.

The chances of your buddy's bike being messed up are excellent. Maybe it's scary fast because it's scary screwed up. The reason for that is due to so many self-appointed experts that don't know squat about engines in general..and two strokes in particular, being all over the place and anxious to tell the unsuspecting/ignorant rider of all the great things they can do to make a bike 'scary fast'.

Who did the work? What's the configuration of the head...how was it changed and what was it changed to? Does your riding buddy know what detonation is..and (if he does) does his bike do it?

I'm not saying (yet another time) I know for a fact that the other bike is going to blow up any day now. Nope. It may have been built by someone that knew exactly what they were doing. The chances of that are very slim is all. Effectively tuning an overbored 2T isn't something that's going to happen on a 'one off' basis. A lot of cylinders end up being destroyed in the process of looking for the 'perfect' combination of port geometry on a particual bike model that is overbored. The KDX not being the killer track bike of all time, I doubt many builders would have a clue what to do with one of 'em.

See how trolling works? :wink: Something off the wall is thrown out there...and lots of folks ponder over it..wonder what's going on..would like to kind'a figure it out. And..in the case of a troll-baited post...it's all a waste of time.

Re: 'I've been looking for an MX style rear fender and can't find one anywhere!'

I suppose you would be looking for a black one...to go with those yellow plastics and Kawi-green frame? Oh goody! :roll:

Consider the source

GreatBritishRob
Supporting Member

Post by GreatBritishRob »

Stick to standard, it wont be the fastest but it well get you home everytime and in enduro's and the likes thats a lot more important in my humble opinion.
Right, im all packed to do a 12 hour enduro on my KDX220. Seeya all next week :mrgreen:
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
GreatBritishRob wrote:Stick to standard, it wont be the fastest but it well get you home everytime and in enduro's and the likes thats a lot more important in my humble opinion.
Right, im all packed to do a 12 hour enduro on my KDX220. Seeya all next week :mrgreen:
I agree wholeheartedly. Have fun out there Rob!

J.