DEK rocks! Way to go, CC.

Got questions? We got answers....
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

DEK rocks! Way to go, CC.

Post by farmerj »

I installed my DF III a couple of weeks ago and got in a good ride or two. Noticeably more hit in the mid and upper range - almost TOO much noticeably more, for me! The "instant throttle effect" was fun - though I found that I had less control of things in the tight woods :grin: .

What was disappointing to me was that I felt like I took step down in in the low-end department. My riding stlye likes short-shifting and torquing around just above idle on more technical hills between the fire-road blasts. I had thoughts of going back to the DF II (with a CEK needle), but decided to wait and try out a DEK needle first.

What a difference! The DEK put back the low end power, while keeping a strong and relatively smooth pull all the way up the power band. This set-up is just fun all the way around! Steady throttle positions = the electric motor effect - no "4-stroking" - and the power is there when you want it. I like!

Way to go, CC, on the DEK needle recommendation. Thanks for the time you've spent checking out the options, figuring out what works, and passing on the info.

Every time I think it's "the best it can be", it gets just a little bit better!

Jeff

PS - My current set-up is: FMF K-35 torque pipe, TC-II, Steahly FWW, DF III, 42/155/DEK #3.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Is that a 220 or 200 you have Jeff?

Are you going to be at CC's next weekend?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
farmerj
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by farmerj »

'01 200.

Yup. Let's ride!

Jeff
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

:grin: :grin:
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Mr. Farmerj:

But wait...there's more!!

First off..glad you like it!! I found the CEK to be much the same. Hits hard, runs fast, wears me out!!

The DF3 would probably do the trick, but for sure with some carb work from Mr. Black (RB-Designs) you're due for a -30 pipe.

Now THAT will be some fun for 'ya!!

Thanks for the kudos and all, but the DEK wasn't my idea. Well, not that I recall anyway. Problem is, I don't remember WHERE it came from. JD (JamesDean..the Excel jetting guide guy) I think mentioned it as a possibility, so did fishhead as I recall. Also very well could have come from Ron himself.

I know I like it..and yes Mr. Ski...it's in my bike now.

This may well not work with the -35, but consider trying the DEK on -4. At least you'll know it don't work (if'n it don't). It's great fun (clip four I mean) with a -30!! When I was changing pipes back and forth I went a couple sizes leaner when changing from the -30 to the -35.

Actually, I thought you had Ron work on your carb already. You don't list your bike in the bike profile area (why not??)..and you didn't mention it above. Keep in mind when you DO get it (if you don't already) that the lower airscrew setting gets you a pretty hot response off the bottom..the higher setting (2 1/2 or so, set by 1/16's) tones that response down AND gets you considerably better pull in the wide 2>3 shift.

Now then...who's going to yell at m0rie next to get him up here!!?? :wink:

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

:eek: MORIE !!! Get your A$$ up there if I lived over there I'd be there in a jiffy. :lol:

Have you left yet !!!

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

What kind of jetting compensations do you have to make switching between the CEK and DEK....any? Or is it a simple plug and play switch. I have been thinking about getting a DEK for different terrain...

Thanks...
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Plug-n-Play

...well in my bike anyway.

Thanks for the nudge KayDee! :wink:

Consider the source

wanaride
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by wanaride »

Hey CC, is it worth it to get JD's jetting guide? He doesn't have any KDX "kits" on his website; this isn't a big deal because I can get them locally or through Sudco, but it makes me wonder if his Excel software includes KDXs.
I love someone with autism!

2006 KTM 250XCW
2003 KDX200
2006 CRF70
2006 KTM 50 Mini Adventure
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

His software is not bike-dependent/specific. It's based on the carb.

So, yes it includes KDXs because it supports Keihin PWKs.

I think it's worth it...was worth it. I don't use it to tell me what to do but as more of a reference/comparison tool.

Consider the source

Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I haven't had any real issues with the CEK, now saying that... it has taken a lot more throttle control to keep it tamed down.. but that's part of the thrill in making my bike do what I want it to do... and when the tight stuff is gone... WFO FuN!
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "