Skid plate

Got questions? We got answers....
JD

Skid plate

Post by JD »

KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

This would be it, I havent tested it yet but I will be on the 27th-30th of this month. Keep your eyes out for a review soon after. Cheers Trev

AND

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
JD

Post by JD »

That's two weeks away! I want to know now!...

Try smacking it a couple times with a hammer :lol:

Seriously though, post as soon as you put it through a good torture test. One of the local independant shops here is thinking about becoming a distributor.
'04 200
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

They are made from a very hard plastic. I don't know how it will look or hold up after scrapeing and sliding through rocky terrain though (it is only plastic remember). I reckon she'll have a few scars on her. Mounting is a bit of a pain. The front exhaust bracket has to be removed for fitting and removal (unless you cut a piece out of the glide plate like I did) The oil drain plug didn't even come close to lining up, so I have to remove it to do an oil change (PITA) or could recut another hole but I think it would weaken it too much. IMHO I don't think I'd buy one again due to the fitment issues (I just liked it cos it was black and matched my pipe guard).

Hope it help some and sorry if I put you off but I'm being totally honest..

Trev

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Maybe check and see if they have changed them since 12months ago as I sent them an email regarding fitment issues but never heard back... :rolleyes:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Also report on how much mud packs up in it. Mine can hold at least 10 lbs of mud, maybe more! I'm starting to look at replacing mine due to all the mud that builds up between it and the motor. Have fun on your upcoming ride!!!!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

skipro3 wrote:Also report on how much mud packs up in it. Mine can hold at least 10 lbs of mud, maybe more!
I will do. 10lbs ?!?! :shock:
skipro3 wrote:Have fun on your upcoming ride!!!!
Cheers big ears :supz: and you too. :grin:

skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

I was checking another site, (No, not THAT one!) and it was recommended to stuff a chunk of foam into the space between the skidplate and the motor. Sounds like a great idea!
Anyone ever try that?
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
hoodoo

Post by hoodoo »

Any idea about the cost ?
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

yes ski put some foam in there. try to find some cheap stuff tho. unless you want to take the foam out and wash it. you need to take it out anyway when you wash your bike. it doesnt stop all the mud just most of it. i get the stuff out of the boxes at work (free) and use it once. its already in 3 x 3 x 1 squares and i usually stick 3 of them in there. i recommend closed cell foam but any will do the job of keeping the mud out. open cell foam will hold alot of water.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks 89. I'll check with the warehouse folks where I work. I'm sure they have closed cell foam, now that I know what type to use. Sorry for hyjacking your thread JD! :wink:
Jerry

JD

Post by JD »

No worries. :grin:

One of my concerns, looking at the pics, was mud build considering the slop I ride through regularly.
'04 200
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

take pics and put them in the gallery jd i would like to see some nh slop
i would actually like to see nh some day i imagine they have some nice woods up there
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F
JD

Post by JD »

Posted a few pics in the gallery.
89kdx200rdr
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by 89kdx200rdr »

looks like some pretty nice terrain up there.
1989 KDX 200
2003 KX 250
2006 KX 250F