3rd Tranny issue

Got questions? We got answers....
SteveWR450f

3rd Tranny issue

Post by SteveWR450f »

I have 2 KDXs. On both bikes, regardless of what gear oil I use, its tough to get into 3rd gear. Usually, the only way I can "find" the gear is to completely get off the throttle with clutch lever fully pulled in.

I have two other experienced riding buddies that use by 2nd bike. They also have the same issues. So . . . is this just a KDX thing or there anything I could do to fix it.

When the bike is not running, I can find the gear but even then its not perfect.

I am pretty certain its not an gear oil issue. I change oil after every 2 - 3 rides. I have tried just about everything - Shell Rotella, ATF, Bell Gear saver, Golden Spectro, etc.

I was thinking that maybe this winter I might open it up and look at the gears but I was wondering if I would be wasting my time.

Steve
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Hmmm.... I on occasion miss 3rd but another quick stab and it's there. Not that it is a problem but it may be a KDX thing.... Mine is a 95 so it is almost 15 years old....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

My '04 is the worst shifting bike I ever had, and I once had a Bultaco. My problem is more related to easily finding neutral unless I actually want it. I assume you don't have a clearance problem between the shifter and the magneto cover. Let us know what you find.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:My '04 is the worst shifting bike I ever had, and I once had a Bultaco. My problem is more related to easily finding neutral unless I actually want it. I assume you don't have a clearance problem between the shifter and the magneto cover. Let us know what you find.
Yeah, make sure that shifter is straight and tight. I thought I had major tranny problems on another bike and all it took was a straighening of the lever.

Try lowering it one spline or so.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Have you tried Automatic Transmission Fluid?

I heard that if you put it in your forks it will make your transmission work better :supz:

I've had no shifting problems with two KDX motors. One in a stock frame, the other in a hybrid. I've beat the ATF out of them with no trouble. I've also got a couple of buddies on KDX'es, no trouble.

Have either or both of these motors been split? I'm referring to complete disassembly of the tranny? Maybe some things weren't put back quite right.

I have been through the lever hitting the flywheel cover. That is pretty easy to notice, though.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

Both shifters are straight. Yes, sometimes the bikes go into false neutral. When I first started riding a few years ago, I got suprised by it trying to shift going up a hill climb. Now, I make sure that I am second even before starting the climb.

Neither bike has been split.

I love these bikes. With the fork swap and RB mods they really are great trial bikes. It sounds more and more that I just need to accept that it will never shift well but can make it work most of the time.

Thanks for the input and if anyone else has some thoughts please share.

Steve
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

I know when my KDX's get a lot of hours on them, the shifting becomes notchy and false neutrals become more pronounced. Most, if not all of that goes away with new tranny bearings.
I used to ride year 'round about three times a week. Two years of that would net tranny issues as described. Maybe you're due for a lower end rebuild?
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I agree. Was kinda thinking of lower end rebuild this winter too. I am sure my girlfriend will be excited to see that project take over our garage and maybe living room if the garage gets too cold. :lol:
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

Hey Steve,

I have had the same issue on my KDX's. I noticed that when I run ATF the bike shifts perfectly at first, but after 50 miles or so, it gets tough to find 3rd gear. It is always 3rd gear specifically.

I noticed this last year as well on the other 220 I had specifically after I started running ATF. I never had an issue before when running Honda 80w.

I am thinking of going to something different for tranny oil to see if it helps. My brother has no problems on his KDX and runs plain old 10w oil. He uses whatever the factory manual suggests and has never had an issue.

I like how the ATF feels when shifting because you get buttery smooth shifting, but it goes away after a short time.

BTW, you been riding?

We (family and I) went to McCubbins a couple of weeks ago and had a good ride, but I have not been out on a man ride in a long time. We are off to the coast this weekend, but after that I have time to hit it hard.
'
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Both shifters are straight.'

..and tight? It's not always easy to see when they're not. I put my finger on the shaft/lever and then wiggle the lever back and forth. I can feel movement between the two before I see it.

I don't ride year 'round..and not three days a week. I do ride MOST of the year, usually only once a week.

My ten year old bike has no shifting problems. Anecdotally (and therefore pretty much useless) and from what I've read over the years, I'm not aware of KDXs being pre-disposed to such.

Three days a week year round certainly is a lot of riding.

Something I see on a regular basis that makes me cringe...riders banging on the shift lever with the force of using a splitting maul. Criminy!!!..the full force of a leg on the little thing? I see it all the time. Chances of that behaviour helping anything is zip, nada, zero.

What shape are the baskets in? Notchy baskets = bad shifts.

Re: 'My brother has no problems on his KDX and runs plain old 10w oil. He uses whatever the factory manual suggests and has never had an issue.'

:hmm:

The factory manual does not suggest 10W oil. 10-30W/10-40W SE is recommended. FINDing SE might be tough. A motor oil specifically designed for wet clutch use (say, Yamalube) is good. Higher levels of zinc and phosphorus required for wet clutches isn't found in newer spec'd oils.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

Probably the easiest thing to check out first is what carvr brought up - a worn clutch basket. It'd only take a few minutes to see if it is overly worn and notched.

Carvr, ( I had a job I hated and lived 15 minutes from a state off-road vehicle park - riding kept me sane and I loved it) I used to rebuild my bikes every two years - split the cases and went thru everything. Tranny bearings tend to get sloppy in general and the needle bearings outright fail after a lot of use. I never had a gear fail.
I'm guessing if one gear is more problematic than the others it's likely because the rider(s) use that gear more than any other - so it may be worth looking into tranny wear should the clutch check out OK.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

I will take a look at the clutch baskets tonight but I dont think its that. Last year, I got from Jeff F. that last two hinson clutch baskets he had in stock and installed those.

Starting to think that it might be time this winter to learn how to split the cases and take a look. I have heard from others that tranny and needle bearings usually are the first to go even thought the KDX bottom end is pretty bulletproof.

I am just being too "type A" and wanting the KDX to be perfect. The tranny issuse is really not a big thing it just bugs me because I love these bikes and want to make sure I am not neglecting them. I am taking more and more pride riding with a whole bunch of orange bikes and the "old KDX" does just fine with them.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Hinsons won't go away in that length of time.

It's a whole lot easier to replace ANYthing as part of a maintenance plan beFORE it blows up and wrecks a lot of other stuff than AFTER it does just that.

Kudos on keeping ahead of problems.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

My brother is running the 10-30W as did previous owner who purchased the bike new. I ran 80 or 85w oils like Honda HP or Maxima and had no problems at all on all 3 of my KDX's, but noticed the false neutrals and 3rd gear misses only after going to ATF.

We both have about the same amount of miles on our bikes, his with no shifting issues and mine with the mysterious 3rd gear, not wanting to go into gear think happening from time to time.

I do think that running the ATF may be the culprit and I would try running something different for a while just to check. That is what I am planning on doing. Again, I had the same issue on my previous 220 after running the ATF and had no problems before adding the ATF.

Cheaper to check that 1st than to tear into the clutch.
'