Fredette Springs-what to do with the PVC spacer?

Got questions? We got answers....
pElf28p

Fredette Springs-what to do with the PVC spacer?

Post by pElf28p »

I am in the process of putting the heavier (.40kg) Fredette springs in my 01 220's forks. I am not sure what to do with the pvc spacers that were provided with the springs. Thanks for the help guys.
-Joe
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

they replace the spacers that were above the stock springs. Install in the same manner.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
pElf28p

Post by pElf28p »

Hey thanks for the response. Do i cut the pvc to the same length?
MontanaKDX
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by MontanaKDX »

Hi Joe,
Use the search function and type in "preload" or "preload spacer". You will find lots of information about how why and where etc. to cut your spacers to set your fork spring preload.
'97 KDX 220

RIDE ON!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Do i cut the pvc to the same length?'

No.

The OEM preload is something like 30mm. I don't know why they do that. Filling fork tube with a steel/plastic spacer seems rather counterproductive to the whole idea of 'suspension' to me.

Preload preferences vary by rider. 8mm is a reasonable place to start.

Short version: Assemble the cartridge; spring, clip (on bottom of spring), and fork cap-threaded all the way down on the rod..NOT into the tube. Leave out the cups (originally on both ends of the OEM spacer).

With a spring from Fredette (probably 470mm or so long) you wil have space between the top of the spring and the bottom of the cap. Measure that space. For sake of argument let's say you measure 13mm.

The cups that you didn't put on the cartridge rod will take up about 3mm of that space (measure the flange thickness that will be taking up some of that space to be sure of the measurement).

That leaves you with 10mm of space. Cut your spacer to that plus whatever you want for preload.

In our 'argument' case, that would be a spacer cut to 18mm.

Cut the PVC square. A miter box (powered or not) is helpful. Square whatever wonky leftover you have with a file..deburr the edges.

Put it all together.

On the last step of reassembly, hold the cap, turn the tube to thread the two together. If you turn the cap..the fork will make a 'scritchy' noise on compression.

Yes. That is a technical term. :wink:

Fork spring preload is an important part of fork setup. Saying 'Forget about it..sounds like too much trouble' is a mistake.

There is info to be found elsewhere on this board..and maybe you already found it. The above is short and close enough that it will work for 'ya.

Good luck.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!