Order of upgrades????

Got questions? We got answers....
masskdxer

Order of upgrades????

Post by masskdxer »

My question is this...I want to start upgrading the bike a little bit at a time because of finances. I want to get the Fmf desert pipe, the turbinecore 2, and the Vforce 3 reed valve. In what order would you start this project??? I understand I will have to probably rejet for them, but thats no big deal. Thanks again
gregp

Post by gregp »

Heh, I am doing the exact same thing. I am going to get the reed cage first, then the pipe, then the silencer.
This order is because, having owned a KDX with similar mods, this how how I feel the "bang for the buck" prioritization works out.
I am having a hard time finding any of these parts used...
BTW - I had modified my TCII into a "shorty" and it helped rid the slight flat spot between the upper mid range and the killer top end.
masskdxer

Post by masskdxer »

ok, thanks for the info.
plb

Post by plb »

The VF3 before the Rev???

The FMF Desert works very well with stock reed and stock silencer and IMPROVE a lot your KDX220r motor. It's my priority for you.

The V-Force 3 helps a little bit but not so much and the silencer it's the same.

I ride the stock for trail ride (it's the law where I live) and a PowerCore when I race and I don't feel a so big difference.

Before put VF3, for the same price, buy appropriate fork spring for your weight and upgrade your suspension.
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Suspension first, IMHO. If you're letting off the gas, you have enough motor. :mrgreen: Getting it to the ground is key.

If money is tight, keep your stock silencer, no real performance gain there.

Is your stock bike a 200, or 220? If 220, the RB carb mod would be my first step in the motor dept...Over a pipe even.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
masskdxer

Post by masskdxer »

It is a 200...they don't make fork springs for folks my size..lol....I have had the bike for 3 1/2 years and honestly, the suspension has never been a problem. I would like a more mx type hit on the throttle. It's not bad after moving for a few minutes, but it bogs badly until I get to 3rd gear. If I down shift when slowing, it is fine after that. I should screw around with the jetting some first I imagine. I have a $30 gift card from motosport that is expiring at the end of the month and I want to use that for first upgrade. I think I will go with the pipe...if they have the Rev by then...only woods pipe at the moment. Thanks guy for the helpful info!!! :supz:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The 200 runs fine with a '30 (rev) pipe...but it will take some other 'stuff' to get it to do that.

There is a lot of 'package' effect..modifications working together.

Personally, I had no decent result with the -30 in the woods on my 200 until I had RB modify my carb and put on a VForce reed system.

Any part of a bike's operation/response description that includes the words 'bogs badly' indicates a rather large problem somewhere.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
masskdxer

Post by masskdxer »

It has bogged like that since new. The first 1/4 throttle has almost no response. After that first minute or 2 shifting through it levels off. The bike is a 2005 that I bought as a leftover. I probably only have about 800 miles on it, so it is still relatively new. I will think about sending the carb to RB this winter as everybody has always raved about it. Thanks again
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Again...a bog like that means something is wrong.

Likely jetting or adjustments to the current jet set-up.

Guarandamnteed.

You give a well running KDX 1/4 throttle (granted..lower gears..not from 6th at 50mph) and if you get traction, you will be flipped onto your backside.

Consider the source

KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

I imagine $30 will get you a nice selection of jets......
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

>|<>QBB<
masskdxer wrote:It is a 200...they don't make fork springs for folks my size..lol
If you really that BIG, maybe you need a BIGGER bike :wink:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
masskdxer

Post by masskdxer »

I tried getting my Heritage Softail in the woods, but the traction sucked. I really don't have a issue with the suspension. I guess that maybe i am just used to it. The bigger big would be a ok idea except for 2 things...1) They don't make a KDX 300 and 2) I would have to join another web site and the folks in this one are dynamite. I ran into a kid today at a place I was riding and he has a KDX also. I let him know about the site, hopefully he joins because you guys have volumes and volumes of knowledge on these things. Thanks again masskdxer. PS.... Do you think I can cram my 1340 harley engine into the KDX? Now that would be some fun! :lol:
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I dunno how BIG you are

In gear I'm prolly 290 - 300 lbs

I'm running Race Tech .46's in my forks

Made a helluva difference :supz:
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
Mr. Wibbens wrote:
In gear I'm prolly 290 - 300 lbs
Yeah.

Only 290-300 lbs. Wibby's gotten practically skinny of late.

:shock:

Consider the source