New guy

Got questions? We got answers....
gregp

New guy

Post by gregp »

My name is Greg and I live in central Massachusetts. I owned a '96 KDX200 a few years ago and regretted selling it. I have since gone through several other machines including a KTM300, CR250 and 500, Husky 410, and my current DRZ400S. I recently picked up an '04 KDX200 that has a Baja Designs kit on it. The bike is in fairly rough shape for the year, but the price was right.
The bike runs fine but does not have any of the mods that I sold my '96 with (FMF pipe, RAD valve, Renthals, etc.) so I am on the hunt for any budget performance pieces that I can find.
The DS kit has wires clipped off and bare connectors hanging everywhere and nothing electrical, besides the ignition, works. I tried looking for 12 VDC after the BD regulator (mounted on the top triple clamp) but could only read 1-2 volts, even when I revved the bike.
The original regulator is still in place (under the right side of the seat) and still appears to be wired in.
Short of removing the entire harness and starting over, does anybody have any suggestions?
Thank You!
BTW - This bike was purchased mainly for me, but my daughter quickly laid claim to it as she took it for a ride up and down our street! She has a Ninja 250 (lime green, of course!) so she was very happy that this bike "matched". :?
Greg
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The KDX runs on AC, not DC. How that fits with the Baja kit, I have no idea, but if it (the Baja) is not connected, you're looking for AC out of the OEM regulator.

There are OEM schizs in the manual. Run nothing off the light coil that isn't running the regulator at the same time. Example...on the OEM harness, connect the wire from the light switch to only the front light and ground..start 'er up..and the light will be very bright...for a very short time..then it will burn out. The unregulated AC can get to over 100V!

Sorry for the delay of a decent reply. I guess everyone on the board took the last few days off to go on a party binge or something....... :neutral: I take a week off to go on my own binge...er... riding in Idaho (street bike this time) and everything goes to hell. :?

Bunch of slackers.............

:partyman:

..and...Welcome to the site!

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
gregp

Post by gregp »

Thank You for the help, CC. When I was looking for voltage off of the BD regulator, I checked for both AC and DC and still only had 1 or 2 volts of either. I am in the process of removing the entire BD harness and components and I will be attempting to see if I can get the bike back to the working stock system, for starters.
I will be trying to dig into this some more, but I just can't seem to keep from riding the thing!
Eventually, I want to have all of the components working and I would like to get the bike street registered, and inspected (no small task here in MA).
I may be back, asking more questions....
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I have a rectifier that will work with that kit if you are wanting to convert to DC.... just let me know if you do. Either way.... you can get it sorted out.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The DS kit has wires clipped off and bare connectors hanging everywhere and nothing electrical, besides the ignition, works. I tried looking for 12 VDC after the BD regulator (mounted on the top triple clamp) but could only read 1-2 volts, even when I revved the bike.
I'm missing something. If the kit has wires clipped off and bare connectors hanging...I wouldn't wonder why the regulator that is part of the kit doesn't work.

If you don't have the KDX manual (and thus the schiz), it's not a big deal. The light wiring is straightforward. i've got a diagram somewheres if you need one.

You will need a manual sooner than later though. Might as well get one if'n you don't have it already.

Happy Volt Hunting.

Consider the source

gregp

Post by gregp »

Thanks for the help, guys. The bike came with the factory manual, and I was able to get some schematics from the BD site. The switch pod (high/low beam, directionals, horn, disabled kill switch) was still wired to some of the BD harness. The main hot lead out of the BD regulator was completely unhooked. It is split, with one lead going to the battery (which is missing), and it continues on to an inline fuse and...dead ends with an unpluged male terminal. This split pigtail is where I was checking for voltage at both the fused end and the battery end..and had none (well, a negligable amount).
I can see the original (OEM) main harness coming out from under the tank (it has a grey jacket), but the harness terminates with large white connector. The other half of that connector, and its associated harness is gone, and in its place is part of the BD harness that goes to the switch pod.
I will eventually get it sorted out, but I may need the piece of OEM harness that is missing (I believe it would have the headlight socket attached at one end).
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'dead ends with an unpluged male terminal.'

That's bogus. A hot wire should end in a FEMALE...not a MALE end.

Yeah...if you're looking to 'normal' the bike, you will need the front connector. Maybe you could use a different bulb in the BD headlight shell? That would make things easier..'cuz I'd expect it would be difficult to find the OEM lamp socket. An OEM shell? Yeah..but not so much the socket.

Just guessing. Don't know. Never gone looking for one.........

Consider the source

gregp

Post by gregp »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:'dead ends with an unpluged male terminal.'

That's bogus. A hot wire should end in a FEMALE...not a MALE end.

No kidding! That exactly what I thought when I saw it! It is definately a bare *male* bullet connector coming out of the BD regulator. No wonder nothing works anymore....