Something to look at in chains

Got questions? We got answers....
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Something to look at in chains

Post by KarlP »

http://www.ustsubaki.com/pdf/brochures/ ... ochure.pdf

Interesting. I wonder how it would hold up.
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Looks pretty cool....Until the felt wears away. This is all a personal preference thing...Aside from buying a GOOD chain. I prefer plain chain myself, not rings, must lube type. Power-wash off, lube, done....No dirt getting into the lands and staying there....While keeping your attempted lube out. Fancy chains are great for street bikes or for people who simply don't want to touch their chain, and just buy a new one when it starts to kink....IMHO :mrgreen:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
KarlP
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by KarlP »

Yeah, I'm one of those that never lubes, washes are otherwise fools with my chain until the sprockets wear out.

I think there are two main wear points on a chain- between the inner link plates and the pins and insides of the rollers.

Most of the time when I condemn a chain, there is no looseness in the plate to pin joints. What kills them is that the inside of the rollers seems to wear away and the rollers get really loose on the pins. I suppose the pins are wearing away as well. The effective pitch length gets longer and longer and that eats up the sprockets. On an o-ring chain, the o-ring does nothing to help between the rollers and pins, only between the inner plates and the pins, and that only on one side. (I think)

The above chain seems to imply that there is something in the way of "permanent lubrication" inside the rollers where they rotate on the pins. Maybe all chains are already so "permanently lubricated".

I've got some pieces of unused chain, and several shot chains. I need to cut 'em up some time and see what is really going on.

(If I keep fooling around on here on Company time I may end up blessed with unemployment and plenty of time to study such things...)
'08 KTM200xc
'99 CR/KDX Hybrid with that RB stuff done to it
KX100 for the boy
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

All them there x-ring and o-ring chains are "permantly lubricated" from the factory. This looks like the same gig to me, just using felt intstead of rubber x or o-ring.

Neat Idea. I stick to plain roller chains myself as well. Less friction, little bit of washing/lubing after each ride. Works for me. I wonder if this felt chain has less friction than an x or o-ring chain. Probably not once the felt is all gritty with silt/dirt/sand.

J.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Am I the only one that's missing that this isn't a motorcycle chain?

These are feeder chains...conveyor chains.

With a 12T sprocket, their 5/8"-.400 chain is good for up to 8 1/2 HP!

Yowser! Not THERE'S a power animal.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

lol. yup yup, there's always that little hitch too. I assumed he was just looking at the felt idea, more so than that chain itself...
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'Yeah, I'm one of those that never lubes...'

Heresy, I say!!! :shock:

Nah..I don't fuss with 'em a whole lot, either...a stiff brush now and again, some tri-flow or WD to keep the rust off.

I remember finally getting around to changing a chain on my R5 once to find the CSS cover full of shells from broken rollers. Now THAT was a chain that had some wear on it!

Ring chains do have seals on both sides, and the idea is to keep 'permanent' lubrication in, dirt/water out. The whole idea of lubricating a chain thinking much of any lubricant is getting to where it's needed isn't too erudite a plan. Slathering crap on the OUTside, visible parts accomplishes next to nothing.

Well...it does make a mess of things......

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!