Michelin X11 durability

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Michelin X11 durability

Post by lemmy »

I ordered a Michelin X11 and it showed up and that is the softest rubber I have ever seen on a tire. I was also thinking of purchasing the tubliss system for the rear and I was talking to them and he said he had heard many say the X11 is way to delicate for trail riding and some are shredding it in one ride. Has anyone here heard or experienced that? I am considering selling it and getting the Pirelli MT43.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

No problems with mine, still looks brand new after 80 miles or so. I run mine at 8 psi with a heavy tube.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
SteveWR450f

Post by SteveWR450f »

No problem with mine either. Used for two seasons only during the super try rocky time. I run around 8 pounds with heavy duty tube. No junking at all
WR sold. Now have 03 and 04 KDX 220s.
KXF 250 forks. RB Carb and Head. FMF rev pipe. Long live the KDX !!!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

the knobs will start to crack around the base, but it does not affect performance. Best thing about those tires is they will continue to bite until they are COMPLETELY bald.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'some are shredding it in one ride.'

Some...what? Big 4Ts?

I don't have one, have no personal experience with a 'real' trials tire. I've used a crossbreed Kenda and was happy with it.

The rubber may be much softer than your typical knobber..but there is also considerably more OF it. There is no singular protruding piece of rubber tearing at the ground with no support nearby. Most of a knobby tire isn't. ..knobs that is. Seems that would be quite a factor in the wear factor.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

CC's take is how I always thought the extended wear could be explained. I have seen some of my buddys on big 4t's thrash of the center knobs on hard pack like dirt roads while really tear hell. I have lost a couple knobs on the D803 I'm running now but it still works great. It has been turned around once and has about two seasons. You can see some of the knobs trying to seperate but it still takes them a while to come off. You would think by looking at them that they would come off on the next ride, but they don't. Here are some pics. sorry about the quality using a cell phone.

Knobs Chunking

Knobs Peeling

New D803
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

My Kenda Millville rear has probably 30% of the side knobs missing and it only has about 100-150 miles on it. I hope my X11 lasts longer than that. The idea of the knobs being softer but having more support of the knobs around them makes sense.
saddletramp
Supporting Member

Post by saddletramp »

Ride report??
I went for a short loop yesterday, I figured I would run 12 p.s.i. since the trails are dry and traction is good. I am still amazed by this tire.
2000 KDX 200 97 KX 125 Front End
1996 CR 250
03 RM 65 2000 YZ 80
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I installed the tube type X11 at the same time I installed the "tubliss" system. I ran the pressure at 7.5psi and got amazing grip. Even in bottomless mud it is just as good as my Kenda Millville had ever been. I was in dry stuff, and then wet/slimy clay and lots of rocks everywhere. I rode with much more confidence than I ever had. I highly recommend it. My friend is running the Pirelli MT43, I think I will try that one next, then go with the one I like the most The MT43 has a much stiffer sidewall.

I was on gravel roads (not deep gravel) doing 35-40 and the X11 at 7.5psi felt fine. It wasn't getting squirmy yet.