Bent shaft (oh nooo!)

Got questions? We got answers....
porterdog

Bent shaft (oh nooo!)

Post by porterdog »

LOL, bent the shaft of my *kickstand*.

They're supposed to be straight, right? No idea how I managed it, but I'll blame the trials tire :wink:

Was coming too-hot into a grass-track corner (a left) and the rear locked up and stepped out to the right. Of course, I got off the rear brake and of course, the TT regained traction RFN and what went from an incipient lowside turned into a near-perfect highside (Russian judge scored it 8.6!). Thing is, I'm pretty sure I picked the bike up off it's right side, so I guess it must have barrel-rolled...

Anyway- the question is serious. The kickstand shaft should be straight, right? I'm trying to figure out if that's where the bend is, or if it's the mounting plate.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Google images <KDX kickstand> First hit shows a used kickstand that is fairly straight. I don't recall a new one having any bend to it...notwithstanding the mounting tab...which must have some angle to it.

Best way I've found to determine extent of kickstand wonkiness is to check how it fits to the swingarm when it's UP. It should be fairly tight TO the swingarm. A tweak to either the plate or the kickstand itself can make it stick out.

Be careful with the mounting tab bolts. Keep in mind they are threaded into aluminum. ALways put them in with a threadlocker of some sort to reduce/eliminate the different metal reaction that will result in the threads being destroyed when the bolts are taken out. I've got one loose bolt 'coz the threads are iffy..and that was as a result of taking the bolts OUT..not over torquing them IN.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

Thanks for the detailed response; I tweaked the plate and gave the shaft the redhot treatment.