Trials Tire question

Got questions? We got answers....
lemmy

Trials Tire question

Post by lemmy »

Where I ride mostly it is predominantly ATV trails and there are lots of mud holes and then long slimy clay up hills that have very little grip. I can't even walk on them. It isn't soft, but just slimy. Then there are also lots of rocks. I can usually get up these long climbs with my KDX and moderately worn Kenda Milleville tires, but my buddy on his CRF250 really struggles and gets no traction at all. I have heard that trials tires would work good on firm but slimy clay, but how do they work in really soft/deep mud? I would be afraid they would pack up and then not grip at all.

Another question I have is with the tube vs tubeless trials tires. For the Michelin X11 the. The tubeless is much more expensive. Is there any reason to get one over the other? Thanks.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

You want to run the tube version if possible. Either will work, but the tubeless is a bear to get the bead to seat on a tube style rim.

It's been my experience that the trials tire works better than a knobby in just about every TRAIL condition. This excludes rockin on the mx track, of course.

Hard to say if it's going to work well for him. Some love them, some hate them. To me, it's the best thing I've done to my bike to date.
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

The only thing I am worried about is that I have read that (at least with the X11) that you can't ride them flat. I really don't think I could change a tube on the trail even with tools. I have a hard enough time doing it at home.

Also, I have read the tube type works better and it isn't as squirmy at higher speeds (a problem with most trials tires). Would running the tubliss system with a trials tire make a tube type trials tire more squirmy? If not, then that would solve the problem of the tire not being capable of running flat.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've run flat on my MT43 and didn't damage anything. I also HEAR that you can't run them flat. However, I've heard several reports of getting a few miles out of the woods on a flat TT with no problem. No more problem than a flat knobby anyways.....
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I have seen both the dunlop and mich run a few miles on a flat. You do seem to have to limp it a little slower that a regular knobby. In all but the very worst of terrain there should be no problem getting back to the truck. If the threat of a flat is a big enough problem then I would say it is time to hone you trailside flat fixing skills. Re-tubing a trials tire on the trail would be a pain in the rump, but it could be done. I don't have the luxury of a tire changing stand, and only have 8" tire irons, but I don't have a problem mounting tires. Sometimes a new trials tire (D803) in a wrestling match, but you get good at it after a while. I can't remember the last time I pinched a tube. I've found patience and WD-40 to be the trick.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

One last question...is it best to just run a trials rear, or should i run front and rear trials tires?
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I prefer to run the TT on the rear and still run my trusty D756 in the front. I am hearing good things about the new Geomax tires so I may go that route next. Or maybe the Maxxis IT, have had good luck there as well.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
firffighter
Supporting Member

Post by firffighter »

The Maxxis IT is not a very good front tire. The rear is pretty good and many run them around here.

I have sang the praises of the MT43 here many times and stick by it as the best rear tire I have ever used. That includes the more expensive X-11.

The only time it does not work well is in deep sticky mud and loose loamy soil (like what is newly tilled).

I like the Pirelli Scorpion Pro as a front tire as well as the IRC V-33.

BTW, I just ordered another MT43 today! Not because I need a new one, but just to have another one just in case they stock making them.
'
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Just go to show that everyone likes it a little different. I have really good results with the Maxxis IT Fronts and rears.

My favs would probably be:

Fronts
1. D756
2. Maxxis IT
3. D739

Rear
1. D803
2. Maxxis IT
3. M5B
4. D756

These are in order for the terrain around here. The D803 and M5B would swap places in really loose or wet terrain.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

If anyone is thinking of running a Trials tire on the rear, don't hesitate for one second. I installed a Michelin X11 and Neutech Tubliss and my friend had a Pirelli Trials tire on his. We both have always struggled at he place we ride because it is just super steep muddy ATV ruts with lots of rocks. I couldn't believe the grip. I couldn't make it spin. I got stuck in a 3' deep mudhole, but even in bottomless mud it was no worse than a regular tire. I was running 7.5psi and running on a gravel road at 35-40mph it felt fine.

So is a trials tire on the front a good idea?
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I've heard mixed reviews on the front trials tire. The lack of side knobs on the front could present a larger problem for most than the lack of side knobs on the rear. I'm really not sure, but I do plan on trying one the next time I replace my front.
ihatefalling
Supporting Member

Post by ihatefalling »

I run a trials on front and back. The front is a trade-off.

Yes...you do loose some side tread and a little cornering ability but....

Here in the mid-south it can get pretty dusty in the summer and I am a firm believer that in the loose, silty dust layer that is everywhere the trials has better traction.

If I had my way it would be trials in the summer, knobby in the winter.
2005 KDX 220
R&B Carb Mod
R&B Head Mod
Fork Swap - 99 KX125 Valved for B woods plush
FMF Gnarley
Airbox Mod
Tagged
Little Jeff

Post by Little Jeff »

I run the Dunlop 803 on my KDX and it works just fine. A little squirmish on gravel roads doing over 30mph, but predictable. I also going to be changing the rear Michelin X-11 tubeless tire on my KTM300EXC to a tube type MichelinX-11 pretty soon. With the front tires, I always seem to go back to my trusty Dunlop 952. Works really well in most conditions and the price is right. Almost an exact copy of tread of the Maxxis IT front tire.
Little Jeff
Riding with your buddies and an adventure, riding with certain individuals is an ordeal.