Front Plate Completed - Yippie

Got questions? We got answers....
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Front Plate Completed - Yippie

Post by Mark W »

For what it is worth.

I finished my front plate and I have to say it turned out quite nice (bragging I know but sometimes excitement takes over). I can take pictures if anyone is interested.

What I did was to purchase a 96-02 KX125 Acerbis front plate. It didn't fit perfect and I didn't like the extensions that went down the fork so I was off to modification land. First thing was to remove the extensions. I did this with a right angle cutter and got the cuts fairly close. I then took some tin snips and got it closer. I finally used some files and filed it to the the curvature molded into the bottom of the front plate. The Acerbis molding was not the same on both sides (it was off a little) but I got it close enough that the eyeball is fooled. I then sanded and finally polished the cuts with some polishing compound I have in the garage. Plastic modification complete.

The plate will mount up using the hole molded into the top but it didn't fit quite right against the bike. I made a 1" spacer out of some teflon rod and used a lathe to get it the right diameter and to drill a hole through the middle. I then found a stainless bolt at the local Ace Hardware store to accomocdate the extra length required (got to love those small hardware stores).

The last item was how to attach the the bottom. I thought about wire tying the plate bottom attachment brackets (this is where the Acerbis front plate does not match up to anything on the KDX) to something on the bike but wanted to do something a little sturdier and interchangeable with the KDX plate. I found some thin gauge stainless sheets and cut them 5/8" wide. I then bent them at a right angle about 1 3/4". I drilled a hole that lined up with the front fender attachment points. I then measured the difference between the front plate bracket and the top of the front fender (about 7/16") and made another right angle bend to form a Z-bracket. This I then bolted this to the attachment point on the bottom of the Acerbis plate. I finally slid the other side of the homemade Z-bracket inbetween the front fender and the place where the bolt that holds the fender on. I reused the bolts that hold the fender on and screwed them in from below the front fender.

A nice solid mounting for the front MX style plate that looks stock. I will have to bend the brake cable guides a little bit but this should be real easy. I know I know, way too much work to put into a number plate and someone who has too much time on their hands.

Ordered the Maier rear fender from Monkeybutts on Monday so I should be seeing this sometime.

I will also be replacing the stock odometer with a trailtech computer and have a question. What did you use to plug up the hole that the cable goes into down at the wheel?

Thanks to all for the help on getting the right plate to begin with.

Mark
Last edited by Mark W on 05:27 pm May 11 2005, edited 2 times in total.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

A piece of rubber hose that fit the hole, with a bolt screwed into it. Worked like a charm!
Better yet... replace forks with KX forks and there will not be a hole to plug! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

Good job on the numberplate.

You might want to look at the odometer plug from Zipty Racing.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Where's the pics? :neutral:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
Mark W
Supporting Member III
Supporting Member III

Post by Mark W »

Pic's will have to come tomorrow as I left the digital camera at work. Then I will have to figure out how to post pictures here.

Mark
KDXer
Supporting Member

Post by KDXer »

Pop 'em in your gallery. You can also link them from the gallery to here, but shhhhhh I didn't tell ya that... :wink:

"I want to die peacefully in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming in terror like the passengers in his car."
quailchaser
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by quailchaser »

Hey Mark,

I think the Trail Tech comes with a plug for the KDX. At least mine did.

Later
Robb
Robb
*Sold* but not forgotten '03 KDX220R
'02 KX250
PW80 for the Gman
XR50R with Zuk yellow plastic and pink starlet stikers...soon to be Katiebugs ride.
AMA
Off Camber M/C
BRC
AZOHVC