99 KDX 200 ENGINE NOISE NOT KIPS

Got questions? We got answers....
mackjrakachip

99 KDX 200 ENGINE NOISE NOT KIPS

Post by mackjrakachip »

MY 99 200 HAS A HORRIBLE KNOCKING NOISE! HAD IT FOR 3 YEARS AND ALWAYS HAS HAD THE KIPS NOISE. STARTED TO HAVE A DIFFERENT KNOCK ABOUT A MONTH AGO ONLY ON TOP END. PUT IN A FRESH WISECO PROLITE WITH NEW PIN AND BEARING AND TOOK THE KIPS APART AND CLEANED ALL CARBON OFF. CHECKED ROD AND FELT FINE HAD SIDE PLAY BUT NO UP AND DOWN. PUT ALL BACK TOGETHER AND NOTICED A POWER INCREASE BUT STILL HAD NOISE. RODE SEVERAL TIMES AND THIS PAST WEEKEND NOISE HAS GOTTEN HORRIBLE. MY RIDING BUDDIES CAN HEAR IT RIDING BESIDE ME! HAS IT AT IDLE BUT GETS REALLY LOUD WHEN REV UP, CLUTCH MAKES NO DIFFERENCE. TOOK JUG BACK OFF AND SEE NOTHING WRONG, CLUTCH PACK LOOKS GOOD ALSO. HEAR NOISE THROUGHOUT ENTIRE ENGINE WITH STETHOSCOPE. TOOK ENGINE OUT TODAY GONNA SPLIT CASE I GUESS? ANYTHING COMMON ON THESE? CANT FIND A CRANK KIT JUST ROD KIT AND CRANK BEARINGS.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

#1, please do not type in all caps. It is unnecessary, and quite annoying.

That said, I'd probably pull the stator cover and check the flywheel for play. Could be a crank bearing going or gone.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'It is unnecessary, and quite annoying.'

:grin:

YEAH. IT IS!

do you know if the kips works as it should? check it.

here's the scenario:

kips governor rod is broken due to maintenance malfunction. broken pin migrates to a bad place, starts eating teeth.

or....

is the noise present all the time? only under acceleration? only under load? does the bike run well? nothing indicative of maybe an air leak?

re: 'anything common on these...'

nothing with the symptoms you list if the kips governor rod is ok.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Use dowel rod (broom handle) against your ear, and test suspected areas (as a stethescope). Could be clutch noise?
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
mackjrakachip

Post by mackjrakachip »

Took the engine out and so far so good all the clutchs, water pump and kips gears look fine. But I cant get the cases apart! The crank bearings are stuck to the crank I'm asuming. The manual I have says to use a special case spilter tool. Is there a way to split other than using to special tool? I tried tapping lightly with a hammer and pulling on the jug studs but with no luck.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

hUH? Pulling on the jug studs???!!! Oh my!
:shock:

Not to put too fine a point to it, but do you know how motorcycle engines are put together? They don't come apart by pulling on the cylinder studs.

Take a look at THIS to get an idea of what's required.

No. You don't have to have a splitter. You can use a balancer (or similar) puller. The correct tool for the job will almost always make the job easier, though.
Last edited by canyncarvr on 05:35 pm Jul 09 2009, edited 2 times in total.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Well you could jam screw drivers in there and pry them apart. That will most likely ruin the sealing surfaces too. :roll:

Yeah, you need the right tools like case splitter, flywheel removal tool, crank insertion tool, and so forth. More than that you need the knowledge of what you are doing.

Rockymountainmc.com has 3 videos that show you how to split the cases on a YZ. it's similar enough to a KDX.

*edit*

Looks like CC is screwing with my head by using his confounded time-machine/post-editor again.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I used some heat on the cases around the crank bearing area. The bearings stayed on the crank and pulled out of the cases. Be careful if you tap on either end of the crank with any sort of hammer, it's softer than you think!

You'll get it apart, just keep working it slowly, with plenty of heat around the crank bearing area to expand the case off the bearings.

Bit late for this question, but I must ask it....

Why are you splitting the cases? Did you determine a crank bearing was bad? How did you determine this?
mackjrakachip

Post by mackjrakachip »

Yes the crank bearings are bad. With everything took apart, I can rotate the crank with the rod and the crank bearings are really loud and roaring. The rod feels fine though. I have rebuilt a yz125 but it wasn't as difficult to come apart. Plus I didnt have to worry about the threads as much because they sell an entire crank for it, unlike the kdx.
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I see. I recently replaced my crank bearings and seals. While it was apart I replaced all the other bearings as well. It seemed silly not to. It's not a terrible job, just be patient and you'll get it done.