98 KDX crank

Got questions? We got answers....
zz3gmc

98 KDX crank

Post by zz3gmc »

Does anyone have a good source for a 98 KDX200 crank? I checked Kawasaki online and it was over $400! I may have scored a free 98 with a bottom end noise. I traded my brothers old 4x4 chevy van for it. Unfortunately, I think its in as rough a condition as the van. I already have a 02 KX500 frontend and assorted other parts so hopefully Ill have it up and running soon. Out of curiosity, will the shock from the KX500 fit or are there any other KX models that would swap in?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Just the front end.

The noisy bottom end may just be the KIPS! :lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Or the clutch. Don't split cases until you KNOW that the problem is in there. Pop the top end off, measure everything, go through the clutch and all the suspension bearings from the wheels to the swing arm pivot and everything in between. It's hard to grenade a botom end on a KDX.
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Like they say, don't buy a crank until you know you need one. you can rebuild with a new connecting rod and bearing, plus new crank bearings and seals. check out Hot Rods.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

I rebuilt with a hodrods conn rod kit, and hotrods main bearning seals. Total cost after labor to have it rebuilt was about $180.
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

Ill check everything out before condemning the crank, I will go the rebuild route if its needed. Knowing the people Im getting it off of, Im not too hopeful. Teenage kid with questionable mechanical ability, flogged everyday after school with spotty maintenance. But its not costing me anything to get and will be the perfect donor for a KX/KDX conversion later on.

"Just the front end."
I have the whole bike and was going to part the suspension out until I got the KDX itch! Ill wait and see what can be used from it, then part the rest.
80elkster
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by 80elkster »

FYI Per conversation with Jeff Fredette the bottom end from 89 to 06 are the same. Top end changed from E to H models. So a crank and rod from those years should work.
06 DR650 Farkled
91 WR250 2T
00 300EXC (Sold)
79 XS850 (Sold)
79 CR250 (Sold)
78 IT400 (Stolen)
75 G5 100 Kawi (Gave it away)
73 F7 175 Kawi (Sold)
70 175 Brigestone (Recycled)
05 KDX200(Son's)
93 KDX200
75 KT250 Trials
250 Quads
Just glad to be ridin!
Julien D
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Julien D »

>|<>QBB<
80elkster wrote:FYI Per conversation with Jeff Fredette the bottom end from 89 to 06 are the same. Top end changed from E to H models. So a crank and rod from those years should work.
AH, some verification!!! I've suspected this for a long time. The bottom ends are just much too similar between the E and H series. However, there is a caveat here. The crank halves ARE different. The H series uses a different method of securing the flywheel and main gear to the crank. I also suspect that they are weighted differently, but I'm not 100% sure, and it really shouldn't matter so much.

On the E series the LH side of the crank is threaded on the inside with a bolt that goes through the flywheel and into the crank. The H series is longer, threaded on the outside end, and uses a nut to secure the flywheel. So you would need the proper nut or bolt here for the crank you use. This is assuming that there is no fundamental difference in the flywheel. I think not, but can't be sure....

On the right hand side, the E series crank is splined to mate with the main gear, which is also splined. The H series uses a keyway on the main gear. So you would also need to have the correct main gear for the crank as well.

Aside from that, I suspect Jeff is correct. That is pretty much the only difference I have been able to find between E and H series bottom ends.

J.
zz3gmc

Post by zz3gmc »

I happen to have a 89 200 basket case but unfortunately the crank is seized. Ill have to see what parts are interchangeable.