engine sputter

Got questions? We got answers....
jswag

engine sputter

Post by jswag »

Hey ive got a 2004 kdx 200..and the other day i noticed a skipping in the motor at the top of the powerband.It seemed to go away through the day,but after i stopped and let the bike rest..i noticed it again.Is this a sign of worn piston and rings..is it TIME.The bike has never been touched and i ride ALOT.What is the average life of the stock set.It was really hot out so i mixed my oil a little rich..could that be the cause? any info appreciated. thanks jimmy[/url]
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

'Skipping' meaning a spark miss?

Are you familiar with what a 2-stroke sounds like when it 4-strokes? Is that what you're referring to?

Does 'top of the powerband' mean at the edge of the upper RPM range?

Re: 'Is this a sign of worn piston and rings....'

No. Which is to say, that is not a common symptom that comes with needing a top-end.

Re: 'What is the average life of the stock set.'

No answer to that. It depends....on riding style, riding time, maintenance, oil use, fuel choice..etc and etc.

Re: 'It was really hot out so i mixed my oil a little rich.'

Pre-mix ratio isn't generally changed due to ambient temperature. If it makes you happy, fine, but you aren't accomplishing much..if anything at all.

I don't know what your bike is doing...but I wouldn't worry about it any until after the plug was changed.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!