Is a KDX220 cockpit/fit too small for someone 6'2"?

Got questions? We got answers....
brentm

Is a KDX220 cockpit/fit too small for someone 6'2"?

Post by brentm »

I would love some good advice on replacing my 2003 XR250. I am 51, 6’2”, 185 lbs, low C level rider, ride about once a month for the past 4 years. Main riding is rocky single track, narrow sand wash, loose rock hills, etc. in Arizona. No track/motocross riding. I have only “raced” once (single track) just to be out there with my son. I came in last place. I ride with riders that are better than I am.

What I like about my XR250 is that I can lug it. What I don’t like is the weight when I drop it on a hill and that it is VERY difficult to start when it has fallen (yes, the valves are adjusted). On a hot day, trying to get it started after it is flooded can wipe me out for the rest of the ride.

But I do want a bike that is a reasonable step up from my XR250.

I’m thinking of a 2005 KDX220. But I have 2 concerns.

1) Is the cockpit/fit too small for my 6’2” size? I know I could add a tall seat, higher bars, etc. but would I be starting from something that is really just too small for someone 6”2”? Is it kind of known to be a smaller frame than a more modern bike?

2) Is the stock suspension any better on the KDX220 than what I have on my 2003 XR250? I know people change over to inverted forks, but that adds a considerable expense to the bike.

Would a KTM be a better choice? (I don’t know much about them.) I’m not looking for a race bike. I want something that is fun to ride, but a reasonable step up from my XR250. Or do KTMs have way too much power for my level of experience?

I know many of you have tons of experience with a wide range of bikes. Sharing your thoughts and advice is very much appreciated!

I want to move up from the XR250 but can’t afford (financially) to buy the wrong bike.
Mr. Wibbens
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Mr. Wibbens »

I ride a '92 200, I'm 6'2" and have a 100 lbs on ya

I've never had a problem with the stock forks, other than it would be nice to have rebound adjustment. I run .46 springs

I don't have tall seat foam, infact I'm still running the super soft stock seat
Warning! This member tends to use sarcasm as a regular form of communication. If a post seems offensive, before you panic and fly off the handle, re-read the post and imagine it being said with a sideways grin.
((Bike Profile))
((Pics))
FIVE OUT OF FOUR PEOPLE DONUT UNDERSTAND FRACTIONS
OLHILLBILLY
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by OLHILLBILLY »

I'm 51, 10lbs heavier, otherwise, what I said on TT.

Definite improvement over XR anything.
2004 KDX 200.. Coupla mods
2009 KX250F.. Track Star
2007 Hayabusa.. Street Madness
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

My buddy rides an 02 xr250 and my kdx200 is taller so wouldn't that help in the ergo department. And yeah, his is a bitch to start as well, wipes him out, sometimes we jump on. Not me, I'm the smallest and offer the bump start; gimme 5 feet of clear track and she'll light up everytime. Fun-factorwise the kdx is the best. You can dial it in to get you that tractorlike pull of the XR but yet have the quick response of a 2 smoke. Best of both worlds.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Jonooffler

Post by Jonooffler »

Hi I can't help with the size thing I'm 5-10, but I rode a 2003 XR250 for 2 years and loved it ( over 6000 miles road and off road ). I must say that my 2003 KDX220 is better off road ( when/if I can get it running right ).
The only real problem I can see is the KDX feels like it might not last as long as the XR.
The KDX will run rings around the XR but look out for the extra cost of 2 stroke oil,rings and pistons.
If Honda made a more up to date lighter XR250 I might well have taken that trail instead.
Before every one throws a hissy fit can I just add
I ride slow green lanes with the odd blast when the trails open up.
I have also had a few running issues that I still trying to solve, if I can nail these maybe I will feel better.
One other thing to add is that If I parked the XR250 guys would come over and ask about it and wanted to know about the bike, the KDX can sit for hours with out any one asking about it , I think it just looks too much like a 125 chip shop bike.
Been riding off road for 10 years still finding out how best to do it.Riden a DR125 then a DT125R then a DR125 then DRZ400 then XR250 then a TE610 now I hope that I have found the best a KDX220 just to add the KDX has gone now riding a WR426 which I love and is so much better than the KDX.
91kdx200

Post by 91kdx200 »

I'm 6'4" and ride a KDX. I don't have many problems with the ergos of the bike and I still have the stock forks with heavier springs, which seem to do fine for me in the woods.
1991 KDX200
MXOldtimer

Post by MXOldtimer »

brentm,

Where do you live? I'll offer a test ride if you in my area.
04 KX-250 Hey.....at least it's green and smokes.
06 KDX-200 for off road play. Gone but not forgotten
07 KX-250F SOLD! I thump no more.
Smyda

Post by Smyda »

I'm 6'4" and 220lbs. 44 years of age, ride a '99 KDX200
I have just over a 36" inseam. A little long legged.
I did install a tall seat from "Guts" and a set of Renthal Jimmy Button
handle bars. Then I lowered my foot pegs just over an inch. The bike
feels a lot better to me now when I'm gripping the seat with my knees.

The bike has plenty of power, though I do plan to add a woods pipe to
it next. Would like a little more bottom end so it can be "lugged" a bit more
as you say. Sure different sprockets would also work wonders.
But I've learned that using the clutch to control power instead of the throttle
has helped a lot in that area.

This is just my personal taste.......FWIW :wink:
markokdxer
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by markokdxer »

I am 6'5" and 240 pounds. I rode a 2000 kdx for 6 years and still own it as a backup/buddy bike. I have tall ceet foam, reversed the handlebar mounts 180 degrees, and mounted up some Jimmy Button high bend bars. I always felt very comfortable with this setup. I had Jeff Fredette do the suspension with Gold Valves and new springs-but I have a few pounds on you. I ride in a lot of rocks and single track trails. I never had a problem with the kdx low end power. I rode an 86 XR 250 for a few years in the early 90's. The XR had great tractor power, but felt heavy, wouldn't start after a fall, and never really lofted the front wheel when I needed it. I think the KDX is a great choice.
Suzy America

Re:

Post by Suzy America »

Smyda wrote: 05:06 pm Jun 28 2009 .. Then I lowered my foot pegs just over an inch. The bike
feels a lot better to me now when I'm gripping the seat with my knees.
Tell me more please about this lowered footpeg thing. I'm 6'2 and long-legged, been trying to figure out how to move the pegs down and back.
99 KDX220R w/RB Designs head, Lectron 36HV carb, FMF Fatty + ?Turbincore
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Re: Is a KDX220 cockpit/fit too small for someone 6'2"?

Post by KDXGarage »

Smyda:

Last active:11:04 am Dec 29 2010

Almost a ten year old thread. :shock:
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

Yeah, that was a long shot. Who knows if anyone from this 10yo thread is still around and still has their bike.
KDXGarage
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by KDXGarage »

One can click on a member name, then it will show some stats. One is last time they logged in.
Thank you for participating on kdxrider.net. :bravo:
To post pictures from a device: viewtopic.php?f=88&t=24128
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

Plus it's Easter weekend. I finally got the OEM rotating bar clamps (it came with some crappy aftermarket junk) in forward position then put Zeta forward bar risers on the bike which helped a little bit to lengthen the cockpit. But moving the pegs down and back maybe 20~25mm will really help. I've done that to another bike and it made all the difference.
GOT WOODS?

Post by GOT WOODS? »

I'd like to hear more about this mod as well. Anyone else do this to their bike?
2003 KDX200: Bone stock

2003 KDX 220:
Boyesen reeds
Gnarly Gold Series pipe
Turbine Core 2 silencer
Fat Bars
Super Sport IMS pegs
Cycra Probend hand guards
Tusk dualsport light kit
LED headlamp
Boyesen Factory Racing mag cover
Airbox snorkel removed
Wiesco piston and rings
VTMTcowboy
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by VTMTcowboy »

I'm 6'2" 180 without gear and ride similar terrain but here in CA. The major adjustment to the cockpit for me are handlebar risers and fat bars for added strength as the stock 7/8" will bend easily. For suspension, you'll find enough information and help on this forum whether to increase spring rate, add gold valves, do a KLX swap, or do the KX swap. The shock is good for your weight and riding style but can always be improved and tailored to you if brought to suspension professional.

When you speak of a KTM, unless you are getting something new or close to it (2017+ due to counter balancer), I wouldn't spend the money, and honestly I would rather have a KDX with a few mods then take out a loan to get a newer or newer KTM. The KDX even in stock trim will keep a smile on your face, inspire confidence, and also leave a lot of money in your wallet compared to a modern 2-stroke 300/250. Unless you are set on electric start, the KDX will be more than enough bike for technical-rocky trails at a moderate pace. We might be biased here, but it is for good reason; the KDX is never a bad investment!
1997 KDX 220
2004 KDX 200
Suzy America

Post by Suzy America »

^^ What VTMcowboy said. For a bit under $2K I've now got a 2T woods bike that will run with the blingiest of the new stuff.