KX front wheels

Got questions? We got answers....
warsteiner

KX front wheels

Post by warsteiner »

I've secured a 2004 KX500 Front end to do a swap but now need a wheel, have the axle and spacers from the 500, will the late 90's wheels work, what yr's do I need to look for? Thanks a bunch in advance for the schooling, Jim
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

If you secured these off a recent ebay auction, please use the "eBay hands off" forum as you may have swiped them from me. I posted there for a recent 2004 kx500 front end and lost. If you didn't, you can ignore this post, if you did :butthead:, jk no hard feelings, maybe a few.
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
Varmint
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by Varmint »

P.S. I have your front wheel hostage!! Jk
In my garage
2003 KDX200
2003 KX85
2005 CRF230F
2009 300 XC-W(e)
My KDX
warsteiner

Post by warsteiner »

LOL, I got these from Adrenaline Motorsports in KY, but he wanted 150 for the wheel, figured I could find one cheaper, they were 200 cash as I went by and picked them up on a trip. I had previously talked to a machinist and it was going to be like 150 to get the stems swapped and the bottom clamp knurled so I figured in the long run this would be the cheapest route. Thanks Jim
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

The stem swap and knurling should only cost about $25! :shock:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
warsteiner

Post by warsteiner »

I thought it sounded high, the machinist was saying crap like setup time, minimum 1 hr work maybe two, so I just went the easy route, but just picked up a 99 KX125 with a blown motor, so now I have two front ends, or maybe its Hybrid time, the bike was only 200, but no top end or pipe??!!
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Re: KX front wheels

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
warsteiner wrote:I've secured a 2004 KX500 Front end to do a swap but now need a wheel, have the axle and spacers from the 500, will the late 90's wheels work, what yr's do I need to look for? Thanks a bunch in advance for the schooling, Jim

I looked up a few models. '96, '97 '98 KX125/250 front wheels are the same PN as the '04 KX500..41090-1099.

I didn't check fork numbers. I'm assuming that if the wheels are the same, if you have the spacers (which might well be different) it won't matter if the forks are the same or not.

Do some research on any/more models you wish to verify. I use RonAyers online microfiche listings 'cuz they're fast. I buy stuff from RA, so I figure I'm not stealing anything from 'em if I look up a part now and again.

Re: '..minimum 1 hr work maybe two..'

While there may be a one-hour shop minimum...it it TAKES an hour to press out a stem, press in a stem, I'd be thinking something was very wrong. Set up? What...choosing the correct spacer to place under the triple? Wow..that's gotta take the better part of a small fraction of a minute's time.

I call BS.

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

I'm not saying its right, but the set-up time is a very common fee for a machine shop. It is normally charged on a "one off" type job. It has nothing to do with the set-up of your clamps. It is about the set-up of his machines to do the work. This type of work is not very hard to do, and in the realm of a good machinist not all that precise either. The set-up fees that you normally see being charged do not convey very well to a simple job like this. This is actually a job that only ends up in a machine shop because people lack the tools to do it themselves, not because it is difficult. Most off the presses that you will find in a quality machine shop are no different than you can have at home, just larger and stronger. The knurling is one of the simplest functions to accomplish, however most shops don't do much of it. Most of the parts are built to fit. Set-up fees also cover "shop suppies".(oil, grease rags, cutting fluid, files, tooling, etc.) This way the shop can recoup some of the cost of consumables.

I'm not trying to defend this shop. They may be the best or worst in the country. Just because they charge this or that it has no bearing on quality or knowledge. Maybe just ask why the fees are charged.

Again, I'm not trying to defend these guys. I'm just saying that it may not be BS.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Sounds like your defending them....... :wink:

He's right. Consider that by the time he talks to you on the phone, you go in, they get the paperwork started (name, address, what you want done all that)...there's an easy 1/2 an hour right there.

My shop charges a one hour minimum. It will easily take 45 minutes just to get STARTED on a job.

At those prices, though...buy a little press...and hope that your stems isn't one'a those 30,000lb force required...zing the stem across the building kind'a jobs!

...it happens.....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
skythrasher
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by skythrasher »

Yeah, it really does sound that way. I am defending machinists in general, not this shop specifically.

I couldn't agree more on the buy a small press and do it yourself. The press will be a useful tool for years to come. You don't even have to get a big one. Most jobs can be handled with a 6 ton or smaller. A motorcycle that has been taken care of will not need anything larger. Most fitments on the bikes are machine fit, or very minor (.0005-.001) interference.

These min. charges or set-up fees don't convey very well to a small job, but if you were having a large pump shaft made at a cost of a couple grand it wouldn't seem out of the norm.

Do all you can yourself, let the shop do the hardest parts, or the parts that require some special tooling.
My Gallery
2001 KDX200
1987 KDX200
2002 CR250R
2016 KTM 350XCF-W Six Days