Never seeze on swingarm bolt Marine version?

Got questions? We got answers....
gtoron

Never seeze on swingarm bolt Marine version?

Post by gtoron »

Idea/question. I found these items http://www.neverseezproducts.com/antiseize.htm on the net. Check out the Mariners choice version.
Here is my idea apply the never seeze to the swingarm bolt along with your favorite waterproof grease. Has anyone tried this or any type of never seize on the swingarm bolt? Thought this might help prevent some problems.

Is this idea workable? Comments please. :grin:
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

I've used marine grease with great results. What you're asking may just prolong service, but if the stuff is getting siezed it needs looked at more often.

My last grease job has lasted years. The key is to fully grease the bike, and then not ride it. :butthead:
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
fuzzy wrote:I've used marine grease with great results. What you're asking may just prolong service, but if the stuff is getting siezed it needs looked at more often.

My last grease job has lasted years. The key is to fully grease the bike, and then not ride it. :butthead:
My thoughts where if some of the grease got washed out the never seeze would keep the bearings from getting ruined, not looking to prolong service just prevent problems and extend the bearing life.

But I think the greasing the bike and never ride it works best :mrgreen:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

That's what we need!! A grease that protects to 2400ºF!!

Re: 'Has anyone tried this or any type of never seize on the swingarm bolt?'

The answer is, 'Yes.' All the time. I NEVER put a pivot pin in without it. Not the brand you link to.... but Permatex Anti-seize is what I use. It's readily available in most any auto/hardware/general merchandise store.

Re: 'along with your favorite waterproof grease.'

No. No reason to mix'em particularly. Don't suppose that's a Great Big Deal one way or the other.

Re: '..the never seeze would keep the bearings from getting ruined...'

No. An anti-seize product applied TO the pivot pin (in the case of the swingarm assembly) will have NO effect on the bearings. The pivot pin doesn't touch the bearings, has no effect on the bearings. It's the collar that rides inside the bearing, the pivot pin rides inside the collar.

The problem is the pivot pin sticking (corroding) to the collars. Then you can't get the pin OUT of the bike. You could have perfectly good bearings (not likely, but possibly)...the collar-to-bearing interface could be fine..and still not be able to get the thing apart because the pin-collar fit is goobered.

THAT is the reason to use an anti-galvanic grease on the pin..to keep it and the collar(s) from developing too intimate a relationship...'bonding'. :wink:

BTW, there are different types of 'anti-seize' grease. Pretty good write-up on different types here.

On a completely different subject...I'm wondering if the Fuzzy Method also works to reduce tire wear and subsequently reduces replacement costs. :hmm: I think he's onto something.....

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:That's what we need!! A grease that protects to 2400ºF!!

Re: 'Has anyone tried this or any type of never seize on the swingarm bolt?'

The answer is, 'Yes.' All the time. I NEVER put a pivot pin in without it. Not the brand you link to.... but Permatex Anti-seize is what I use. It's readily available in most any auto/hardware/general merchandise store.

Re: 'along with your favorite waterproof grease.'

No. No reason to mix'em particularly. Don't suppose that's a Great Big Deal one way or the other.

Re: '..the never seeze would keep the bearings from getting ruined...'

No. An anti-seize product applied TO the pivot pin (in the case of the swingarm assembly) will have NO effect on the bearings. The pivot pin doesn't touch the bearings, has no effect on the bearings. It's the collar that rides inside the bearing, the pivot pin rides inside the collar.

The problem is the pivot pin sticking (corroding) to the collars. Then you can't get the pin OUT of the bike. You could have perfectly good bearings (not likely, but possibly)...the collar-to-bearing interface could be fine..and still not be able to get the thing apart because the pin-collar fit is goobered.

THAT is the reason to use an anti-galvanic grease on the pin..to keep it and the collar(s) from developing too intimate a relationship...'bonding'. :wink:

BTW, there are different types of 'anti-seize' grease. Pretty good write-up on different types here.

On a completely different subject...I'm wondering if the Fuzzy Method also works to reduce tire wear and subsequently reduces replacement costs. :hmm: I think he's onto something.....
This is a Marine grade version not your typical anti seize, thought it might be better

Never Seez® Mariners Choice Anti-Seize
Never Seez® Mariners Choice Anti-Seize Never-Seez® Mariner's Choice is a heavy duty anti-seize and extreme pressure lubricant formulated to assure absolute parts protection against seizure, galling and corrosion in fresh and salt water environments.

Mariner's Choice offers unparalleled resistance to water washout and the best protection in continuous high moisture environments both above and below water lines.

Suggested applications: Bilge piping, screw shafts, prop shaft bearing housings, winches, cables, and anchor lines, porthole studs, rigging and hoist cables, steel mills, suspension bridges, wind turbines, offshore rigging and other applications that are exposed to harsh salt water and fresh water conditions

Product MSDS* Container Size Details & Price
NMCBT-8 MSDS 8 oz. Brush Top
NMCBT-16 MSDS 16 oz. Brush Top
NMC-42B MSDS 42 lb. Pail
NMC-425B MSDS 425 lb. Pail

*Note: MSDS Sheets provided by Bostik. PDF version opens via Adobe Acrobat and in separate window.
Specifications:
Color: Black-Gray
Temperature Range: -22°F to 2,450°F (-30°C to 1,343°C)
Thickener Type: Calcium Complex
Particle Size: 3.5 Mil Maximum (75 microns)
Density (G/CM3): 1.31 to 1.39
ASTM D-92 Flash Point : >475°F (246°C)
ASTM B-117 Salt Fog Test, Hrs: 4,000
ASTM D-130 Copper Corrosion Test @ 212°F (100°C), 24 Hrs: No Corrosion
ASTM D-217 Work Penetration, 60 Strokes @ 77°F (25°C): 260-310
ASTM D-217 NLGI Grade: 1/2
ASTM D 566/Dropping Point: 572°F (300°C)
Torque Coefficient (K factor): .11
ASTM D-1264 Water Washout, % loss @ 100°F: <1.00
ASTM D-1264 Water Washout, % loss @ 175°F: <2.75
ASTM D-1743 Bearing Rust Test: Pass
ASTM D-2596 Four Ball EP Load Wear Index: 127.3
ASTM D-2596 Four Ball EP Last Non-Seizure Load (scar): 100 kgf (0.45mm)
ASTM D-2596 Four Ball EP Last Seizure Load (scar): 620 kgf (2.21mm)
ASTM D-2596 Four Ball EP Weld Load: 800 kgf
ASTM D-4170 Fretting Wear @ 73°F (23°C), 22 Hrs, mg loss: 7.15
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

The grease you linked to may well be 'better' in its application. Permatex has Never Failed to do it's job, so something maybe better isn't an issue in my environs/use.

As to the question of using an anti-galvanic grease..the best choice is 'Yes!. Use it.

And...it's still not going to have any effect on swingarm bearings when used on the pivot pin.

Consider the source

gtoron

Post by gtoron »

>|<>QBB<
canyncarvr wrote:The grease you linked to may well be 'better' in its application. Permatex has Never Failed to do it's job, so something maybe better isn't an issue in my environs/use.

As to the question of using an anti-galvanic grease..the best choice is 'Yes!. Use it.

And...it's still not going to have any effect on swingarm bearings when used on the pivot pin.
Understood....how much you selling that Hydro 70 synth grease for?
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I have always wondered when to use Copper based anti-seize...and thanks to canyn's link, the answer is found to be pretty much never. My friend borrowed my copper based anti-seize and stepped on the tube and squished it all out. Thankfully he didn't borrow my Perma-tex Zinc based anti-seize.
lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Actually, I guess the PermaTex stuff is more Aluminum Graphite with some copper.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

Re: 'the answer is found to be pretty much never.'

I am honored to be able to supply information that leads to anything even close to almost never being worth anything.

:hmm:

Well...something like that.

Re: 'Understood....how much you selling that Hydro 70 synth grease for?'

Why do you wanna know? :?

:hmm: I'm selling it?

It is NOT suitable for dirtbike maintenance, if that's what you have in mind. It might work well if it stayed where 'ya put it...but it don't. Cheap BelRay WP stuff works better for me.

I use it as a one-each chassis grease for Banshees' suspension (just 'cuz it has zerks on it) and trailer hub bearing packing...and that just 'cuz it's in a tube and fits in my gun. Now THERE'S an endorsement. 'Why do you use it?' 'Because the container it's in fits.'

Re: 'My friend borrowed my copper based anti-seize and stepped on the tube and squished it all out. Thankfully he didn't borrow my Perma-tex Zinc based anti-seize.'

What difference would it make if he borried the Permatex or not? I mean...I'm SURE that, having ruint the tube, he readily replaced it.

Right?

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

Nope.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

>|<>QBB<
lemmy wrote:Nope.
:hmm:

Can I borrow your new 5HP 40g 12scfm upright compressor...oh, and your new aluminum 4ton quick lift floor jack?

I would expect a 4 year old to have the sense to replace something borrowed that was destroyed.

My expectations' (about everything) are rarely realized. ..any positive expectation anyway. Negative ones? They 'come true' all the time.

:cry:

Consider the source

Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Along those lines, a friend of mine's kid lent the side cover off his KX250F to a friend so he could make a race. He had broken it in a crash and didn't have time to get one before race time. The guy ends up trading the bike for a new one, and "forgot" about the cover.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

This is a complete [hijack].....but..

Why..how..do people come to be so incredibly brain dead..stoopid..inconsiderate...basically just a$$holes?

That's a serious question.

It's not a difficult idea to grasp...borrowing something includes you taking it back. And 'taking it back' means not beat to hell, damaged, busted or rendered useless by your use of it.

Does it honestly not occur to those that do otherwise that what they are doing is skanky? Or...it does occur to them, but they don't care? Did their parents try to instill in them some amount of decency and fail? ..or, are the parents the same?

If my kid borrowed a side cover from some other kid...you can be damn sure I'd see to it that it was returned..with a big 'Thank You!' to boot. If the swap happened without my knowledge and I found out about it later..and it had not been returned, my kid wouldn't be riding for awhile...at the very least.

So....he 'forgot' about the cover. Easy! He buys a new one to replace the one he borrowed!

How is it that is SO DAMN HARD to understand?

..which is why I pretty much despise people. I won't condemn someone I don't know on that basis..but I certainly won't cut them any slack over such crap, either.

I can no more imagine borrowing a tube of <whatever> from someone, ruining it...and not replacing it..than I can fly. I'd pick up cans off the side of the road, return them for deposit money to BUY a new tube if that's what it took.

It's not my tube'a stuff..and it's not my 'friend' either. I wouldn't have anything to do with a 'friend' like that. It's not the tube of stuff..it's the attitude, the (complete) lack of principle that I'd not want to have anything to do with.

Consider the source

gtoron

Post by gtoron »

How come my posts always get jacked???? :butthead: :butthead: :butthead:
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...prolly has something to do with you living in a foreign country or sumthin'.....

NY? That's pretty darn foreign, ain't it? :hmm:

You SAID....
Comments please.
We're just commenting......

Consider the source

lemmy

Post by lemmy »

I'm with canyn. I take better care with borrowed things than I do my own. But it seems that everytime I let somebody borrow something it comes back broken or in some way not in the shape that it was when they borrowed it.