Gear Oil Vent Hose?

Got questions? We got answers....
nearma12

Gear Oil Vent Hose?

Post by nearma12 »

Recently I had a blown water pump seal that was letting coolant into my clutch oil. It was so bad that the coolant was overflowing the gear box after about 1 hour of riding. I noticed my bike (KDX250 '91) was starting to run rough at idle and it was starting to smoke a lot more than normal, so I checked my air filter and it was completely saturated with white milky oil. I had oil all over in the air box, in the bottom, in the intake, I'm sure there was quite a bit that got into the carb. That's when I noticed that there is a hose that vents the gear oil and it ends up inside my air box. I have fixed the water pump seal problem and cleaned the carb, filter, replaced gaskets, and and changed my plug. My question is about the vent hose: Does it need to go inside the air box? Is it some kind of emissions thing or is it pulling a small amount of vacuum from the box? The reason that I ask is in case this ever happens again or if somehow water gets into the gear oil from riding through water all day. It was kind of a pain in the ass to clean all that up from inside the air box, carb, and if it isn't necessary to have it in the air box, I am just going to strap it onto the frame somewhere else. Anybody know? Thanks!
kdxquebec
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by kdxquebec »

What a mess!

For your information mine is zip-tied on the frame with a loop to prevent water intrusion. This is not necessary to have it in the airbox.
'89 KDX 198cc '03 Gasgas Ec250 '13 Husaberg Te300
*CANADA* LEADING THE WORLD IN BEING JUST NORTH OF THE UNITED STATES.