Considering a 2000 KDX200 for my first dirt bike??

Got questions? We got answers....
dfwgreg

Considering a 2000 KDX200 for my first dirt bike??

Post by dfwgreg »

I've owned a street bike for years but got my first taste of dirt a couple of weeks ago on a buddy's rm250. We rode a combination of trails & a little mx track. His 250 was a little too explosive to me for a new rider. I've found a 2000 KDX200 for around 1400 on local craigslist. Can this bike handle some light jumping along with trail riding or is it a pure trail bike? Would this be a good first bike? Is this year model known for any problems? I was originally looking for a 2 stroke 125cc mx bike. I can also get an 02 YZ125 for around the same price. Just not sure which would be the best first bike.

Thanks in advance for ANY tips / advice!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

It will handle anything but all out MX racing. No problems associated with this model, just spring the front end for your weight and grease the bearings real well when you get it. The bikes are bulletproof! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

Awesome. Wheel bearings I assume? Whats the best manual out there for this bike? for things like adjusting the fork springs, and other maintenance?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Top of the page and to the right for a manual... KDX MANUAL ONLINE

Wheel bearings, swingarm bearings, shock link bearings and steering head bearings all need maintenance.

Just depends on what you weigh for the spring rate for the forks. The stock springs are only good to like 150 lbs.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

I'm 175. Is there an easy way to tell if the stock springs have been changed to handle someone my size? Or is it just a matter of adjusting the springs?

I clicked on the link for the manual...looks like an annual subscription type thing?? Is there not somewhere to either get it for free or pay and download the manual?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

They have a lifetime subscription that is cheaper than the factory manual.

Or, you could order one from Ma Kaw or check eBay for one.

You will need new springs but I would wait until you have a little seat time on it before you worry about it. Just don't take any huge jumps or press it's limitations in stock form. People have replacement springs for sale on here from time to time too.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

Thanks for all your help. Here's the bike I'm looking at. http://dallas.craigslist.org/ftw/mcy/1222942295.html Let me know your thoughts!

thanks again.

Greg
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Nice and clean... that's a good sign. Always look around the frame area by the foot pegs... that is a good indicator on how much the bike has been ridden. It looks like it still has a great deal of paint there....

Grab the rear tire and try to move it side to side... that will give you an indication on how good the bearings are. Check the sprocket for wear and bent teeth. Check the rear shock for oil running down the shaft or a wet bumper. Ask him how often he changes the clutch oil and what he uses. Check the air filter to see if it's clean and not ripped somewhere and see if it is sealed with grease around the seal.

That's a few things to check for... there are more but it's late... and I'm tired! :wink:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

You've been a world of help! Thanks!
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

Just be careful if you get the KDX. Before jumping anything big, get familiar with how different a KDX is. If the forks have never been touched, like Inda says the springs will be very soft. But also the fork oil they put in is horrible. This is easy to fix and plenty of threads on here tell you what to do. The stock forks can be made to work a lot better for under $100.

My son rides a 2005 YZ125 and loves it on the track, but on tight rocky trails he wants more torque. The KDX is much better there. When I ride his bike I'm amazed at how well it handles. It's way lighter and the suspension on the 2005 and up models is very nice. It would be nice to put a KDX motor in the YZ aluminum frame.

Anyway, you can't beat a KDX for a first bike, or even a 6th. just fix up the forks before you follow your friend over a big jump. Once you get better you can catch the fork fever and convert the front to KX forks. :rolleyes:
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

I can get an 02 yz125 for about $150 less that is in cherry condition. All things considered, what do you think is a better choice?
Colorado Mike
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by Colorado Mike »

really, I think the KDX if you want to ride trails. If you really want to race, or ride on tracks mostly, then the YZ would be better, but keep in mind that the 125 will require more engine rebuilds. If you let the piston stay in there too long, it's going to blow. There's a big difference in how the motors are expected to be run between the two bikes. The YZ is a high RPM screamer, with a much less forgiving power band. My son has to slip the clutch and keep the rear spinning around corners in the woods, and that adds cost to the equation too, more tires, more clutch plates, etc.

The KDX would be better for a new guy that wants to ride trails. Cheaper to maintain too.
Mike

Life's tough, it's even tougher if you're stupid.
'04 KDX220
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Both bikes would keep more or less the same value over a one year period. Buy the KDX first and after a year you can sell it at minimal cost if you realy want an MX bike. After a year a 125 may be too small for you any ways and you'd probably want a 250. I'm pretty sure a 125 will cost more to operate than the kdx. A beginer will be able to do mild MX with the KDX (if the susp. is set up right) but probably would have a real hard time doing trail riding with a YZ. Wich is why a KDX is such a good bike for beginers, not to mention way more reliable.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
porterdog

Post by porterdog »

>|<>QBB<
Colorado Mike wrote:really, I think the KDX if you want to ride trails.
Agree 100%; it's a GREAT first bike and far superior to the YZ in that role.
dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

I'm not totally understanding. If they're both 2 strokes, why is the kdx so much more reliable & less maintenance?
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Design...

A Porshe 4 cylinder is not a Yugo 4 cylinder.....
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

Try getting 150K miles out of a Nascar V8 as compared to a regular V8.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
dfwgreg

Post by dfwgreg »

Good news! I'm going to look at on 02 KDX200 that already has the KX250 front end (shocks etc) for the same price!
fuzzy
KDXRider.net
KDXRider.net

Post by fuzzy »

Perfect.
'91 KDX 200 Project $300 KDX
'95 KDX 200 Project $600 KDX
'94 WR 250 Always a project