Another bike in the barn!

Got questions? We got answers....
NewMexico505

Post by NewMexico505 »

>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:They did that 2 years ago here. They unplated any bike that was intended for off-road use only no matter what inspection and/or modification had been done and no matter how long it had been plated for on road use. That pissed off alot of people, some had spent alot of money on their bike wich were now useless.
What state did that? What year? Was it repealed ( to your knowledge)

-Erik
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Your insane....
Me? How so?

California is getting just too hard to ride dirt in any more without a plated bike. I have not ridden in California in well over a year. I've been going to Idaho and Oregon. Yes. It's that bad here. I'm tired of fighting and just want to ride. If blinkers and a horn let that happen, then I'm for it. Ha!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

I wouldn't ride the road on a bike on a bet. With cell phones, Tom Tom's and all the distractions... people in cars just don't drive like they did several years ago when these things weren't around. And riding a light bike makes it just that much worse. They could hit you and not even know it....

If you love your family and you want to be around for them... trailer your bike. I would feel better and the odds are better that you will ride many more years.
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

The WR250R is a good compromise bike for highway and trails. The engine is based on the Yamaha R1 street bike, so it is more a revver than a torquer, but it still works fine on most technical stuff and will pull 70-75 on the highway without buzzing you to death. I know several on-line guys who commute on it. No, it is not a full-on light dirt bike, but a full-on light dirt bike doesn't work worth spit on the highway, and it will require lots of maintenance with the miles you pile on. The WR250R has a 15000 mile valve adjust increment due to the street engine style of design. It weighs about 290 but feels much lighter on the trail due to a low cg. My WR replaced a 2004 Suzuki DR400s that I never did like, due to an oinker top-heavy feel, soft suspension and buzzing on the highway (it had a 5-speed tranny). The biggest flaws the WR has are an under rebound-damped rear shock (but some careful setup negates most of that) and a small gas tank. Being fuel-injected means a large aftermarket tank is expensive due to the built=in fuel pump. It can be made to move relatively quickly on the trail (turn signals and all), which draws some incredulous stares from guys with full-on dirt bikes. The 27 HP seems meek, but it gets the job done.
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Thanks gumby!

I know what you mean there Inda. The riding is to connect the trails, not get to the trails. What is going on around my riding areas are linking trails being decommissioned, meaning, you can ride about 5 miles, hit the road crossing, and the trial on the other side of the road is closed. Travel down the road a 1/2 mile or so, and another trail awaits. However, a LEO is sitting right around the bend to nail you. Yea, we are dealing with asshats here! With a dual sport, I won't have to push my bike or turn back, a dangerous condition considering head-ons on the trail.

If I were thinking about more on-road riding, say, 50-50 on-off, then I would look more into the TE610. But since I'm only linking dirt trails mostly, and trailering to the staging areas, the TE450 style should do the trick.

Now I've got to research the WR!! Ha!
Jerry

I'd rather be a smartass like carvr, than a dumbass like.... well, you fill in the blank!
muddertrucker

Post by muddertrucker »

>|<>QBB<
NewMexico505 wrote:>|<>QBB<
muddertrucker wrote:They did that 2 years ago here. They unplated any bike that was intended for off-road use only no matter what inspection and/or modification had been done and no matter how long it had been plated for on road use. That pissed off alot of people, some had spent alot of money on their bike wich were now useless.
What state did that? What year? Was it repealed ( to your knowledge)

-Erik
No state! Province, in Canada. No repeal they just simply decided to apply a law that already existed, those bike are writen For off road porpose only right on the frame.

I can't seem to be able to change my location.
4 wheels move the body 2 wheels move the soul
Gallery!
IdahoCharley
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by IdahoCharley »

Hope you guys belong to BRC and donate to the cause and write letters to your congress reps. I do!!!

Trails are being eliminated and bikes/ATV and OHV rules are changing - yes - even in areas like Idaho. It sucks.
KTM 380EXC Mine
KDX 200 Mark's
TTR 125 L Wife's
KDX 200 Austin's
EC 300 Tyson's
WR430 Husky - mine
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

Now don't get me started on the BRC! Those guys agreed to seasonal closures of the forests here in California. Rather than close trails when wet weather deems it prudent in order to minimize erosion, the forest service closes the ENTIRE forest to any kind of travel on any kind of road or trail except paved roads. Every fire road, gravel road, dirt road, hiking trail, path leading to a fishing hole, even a hike through the woods is closed from November through the middle of April. Good luck hunters! Can't go on any roads but paved? Hunting within 100 yards of paved roads illegal? Guess there's no hunting then. The mountain bikers thought they were in the clear. Boy did they get their eyes opened.

California has doubled the OHV sticker fees and instead of using any of that money to monitor moisture and keeping forests open when appropriate, the close the whole place and use the money to hire 5 new LEO's to cite and write tickets. Last week at the boat ramp to a local lake I work near, an elderly couple parked their car near the boat ramp/water's edge in order for the old guy to unload his little boat. When he got back, he had a ticket. Even though it wasn't posted, he parked off the side of the ramp, in the dirt, below the water line. He told me that if he had to do the hike up and down the ramp, that he couldn't use his little boat any more. The LEO didn't care one way or the other. He was just a Barney Fife with his ticket book and one bullet in his shirt pocket.

Sorry for the rant. BRC has taken the last dime I'll ever give them.

****EDIT****

For more information on how the BRC is working for the forest service and against riders, go to Thumper Talk and so a search on BRC in the Calfiornia forum. The California forum is located Here;
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=120

The search page is here;
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search.php

And the search results of BRC in California is here;
http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/search ... id=8884360
Jerry

m0rie
Supporting Member I
Supporting Member I

Post by m0rie »

>|<>QBB<
firffighter wrote:All Husky TE series bikes (250, 310, 450, 510 and 610) are 50 state legal bikes.

I dont think a 250 would be much fun on the freeway, but they are legal.
Wow, I didn't think the 250 and 310 were ca street legal. I've never been a 450 fan, too much juice for my riding style. A 310 would be perfect and resolve the little issue of needing a dual sport so your not closed out of all the good trails because the connections are decommissioned.
1989 KDX 200
2007 TTR-50E
skipro3
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by skipro3 »

O.K. I found a dealer who will sell me a new 2008 Husqvarna TE450 for $5300 plus $200 to ship to California. For a bike that MSRP's for $7,698, that's a pretty good mark down. All his TE and TC series are on sale with similar discounts if anyone is interested. The TE series is 50 state street legal as well.
Jerry

kawagumby
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by kawagumby »

That is a fantastic deal!
1994 KDX200, Beta 200rr, yz125, yz250, kx100 modded for adult, gasgas contact 250.