Ze bikey no go. Clutch problem.

Got questions? We got answers....
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

This is a small shop that repairs bikes and sells a few items up front. The owner and another mechanic work in the back and they have a parts guy up front. The owner races in the local cross country series in the +50 class. I've never had a problem with his work. Every time in the past he was able to tell me exactly what was wrong and show me the trashed parts. The only problem is that he gets slammed with work so can get behind. I'm sure I will have a definate cause for the problem when he gets to it.
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

My buddy just told me today - "What if the clutch plates just wore out and that's what caused him to crash." LOL. Dude, it really could be that simple.

In other words, maybe you crashed because your clutch went out.

I'm pulling it apart this weekend it looks like.
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
cleoent

Post by cleoent »

ze bikey does go!

Clutch changed and problem solved! :supz:
1990 KDX200, 2007 KTM 200XC, 2004 TTR125L
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

...and jc's is still in that shop........ :hmm:

??

Consider the source
Using a perceived level of knowledge to boost my self worth.
Non impediti ratione cogitationis

bike profile: !clicky!
jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

Got my motor a little while back. I am in the process of totally rebuilding the bike and repainting the frame so won't actualy get to ride it until later this week. The mechanic said that the clutch was toast. Hopefully that was all that was the problem. He only charged me $20 labor to replace the clutch. Not too bad. I haven't ridden my bike since June - been a little burned out. It has fianlly cooled off and I am ready.
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

$20 to replace a clutch? :shock:

Somebody told me just a couple weeks ago that a local shop was going to charge him $100 to replace a clutch on a Honda quad, and that was with the parts being purchased from that shop.

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

My whole bill was about $108, to the best of my memory. About $20 for labor and about $88 for the parts. I think they charge $65 an hour or something like that. Maybe he gave me a good deal because we take all our stuff there and buy parts from him.
Indawoods
Creator and Founder
Creator and Founder

Post by Indawoods »

Either that or...

:lol:
*** Administrator //***
****'95 KDX 200/****

"People ate cows a thousand years ago for the same reason we eat them now. Cause they are easy to catch.We're not savages,we're just lazy. A cheetah could taste like chocolate heroin. But will never know. Those bastards are fast!!! "
canyncarvr
Gold Member
Gold Member

Post by canyncarvr »

:hmm: Or....Pelossi sucks a tootsie pop? That woman (I use the term exceedingly loosely) is scary!!!

There is no 'maybe' about it, you got a good deal. You indicated earlier you had been happy with past service from them, and I certainly undestand how labor charges would be a big part of that.

I would consider it priceless to find a mechanic/shop that knew what they were doing AND didn't charge insane prices to work on stuff.

I've not found any such thing...ever!

Consider the source

jc7622
Supporting Member II
Supporting Member II

Post by jc7622 »

>|<>QBB<
Indawoods wrote:Either that or...
Hey now. Let's not get any rumors like that started. Of course if the mechanic was one of those sexy chicks in Snap-On calendar all sweaty and smudged with grease......
There is no 'maybe' about it, you got a good deal. You indicated earlier you had been happy with past service from them, and I certainly undestand how labor charges would be a big part of that.

I would consider it priceless to find a mechanic/shop that knew what they were doing AND didn't charge insane prices to work on stuff.

I've not found any such thing...ever!
I've pretty happy with them. No body is perfect, but the times I have heard of him making a mistake on other people's bikes he has always stood behind his work and made it right. It's a little three man operation - John the owner/head mechanic, his assistant mechanic Chad and Steve the friendly parts guy up front at the counter. Free donuts on Saturday mornings. Most of their business is repairs. You can order aftermarket parts and they are usually in within two to three days, and he gives racers a 10% discount. I used to buy from Rocky Mountain but now just let them order everything for me.